Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL $0.01/$0.02 Cash Game AK

Old
2NL $0.01/$0.02 Cash Game AK - Sun Jun 30, 2013, 06:45 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi,

Please could you analyze my hand below.

I treated the min-raise preflop as nothing.

I am still a level 1 thinker. I decided to 4bet - if we count the min-raise; thinking that I was ahead for some reason.

the flop hits. I have made nothing. Villain checks to me, probably as I was the preflop raiser. I have been c-betting a lot, and so in this case I decided to check in this instance - trying to keep my c-bet stat below 70%.

He checks - likely he has nothing since he raised to the min-raise indicating to me that possibly has an ace.

I bet 80% pot with TPTK on the turn. He calls so he must have something.

I bet the river 80% again, and he calls.

A major problem I have is making a good judgement when I am beat. Numerous times have bet with TPTK, only to find that the villain is calling me down (slow playing) with a better made hand; how do we anticipate that?

Cheers,

pullin1988

Last edited by pullin1988; Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 06:58 PM..

Old
Mon Jul 01, 2013, 05:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2011
Why do you care about your cbet stat while playing? There are no magic stat percentages to hit. Whether or not to cbet depends mainly on flop texture and the opponent.
At NL2 it is profitable to bet all streets with TPTK versus an average opponent. Although, if you assume someone is tight you can bet flop-turn and check the river.

Old
Tue Jul 02, 2013, 04:39 AM
(#3)
Hi 3revos,

Thanks for the response. With regards to c-betting, I thought that by having a stat over 70%, then there could be situations where I should not be c-betting, i.e. due to flop texture, etc. I thought that this might have been one of those situations. I don't care about the stat in the way you interpreted what I wrote. What I was trying to get at is that there could be situations where I shouldn't be c-betting (so I don't become to exploitable and obvious that I am c-betting with air a lot of the time) and by playing as optimal as I can the c-bet stat would just fall into a % that seems optimal. Correct me if you think that I am talking rubbish - learning the ropes.

Thanks for the advice.

pullin1988

Old
Tue Jul 02, 2013, 05:52 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2011
Hi again. I was not critical at all, i consider myself fishy anyways

Whether or not to bluff cbet is an interesting and hard topic in my opinion. There are some programs like Flopzilla and pokerstrategy Equilab to start training with. I am too lazy to do that yet ...

About this hand, i would try to estimate the opponent's calling range. (pocket pairs?, high suited connetors?, random junk if he is fish? etc) Then would ask myself how often does he connect with that flop and in what way? Can i generate enough folds in order a cbet to be proftable? What is his fold_to_cbet stat and how often is he going to showdown?

Do you find these thought guidelines purposeful? gl

Old
Tue Jul 02, 2013, 07:11 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
I think I prefer to flat in position pre-flop. Squeezing is fine if you have reads/stats on players (e.g. you know they fold to 3-bets/4-bets often, or they open with worse hands like AJ and call re-raises) but AK is rarely beating both of the villains pre-flop, so you're turning it into a bluff, hoping that hands like TT/JJ will fold, which is unlikely to happen in a 2NL game.

As played, only the CO calls. On the T85 flop, you only have the best hand about 32% of the time (Equilab tells me that a range of JJ-22,AQs+,KQs,AQo+ has at least a pair about 68% of the time) but many of those made hands are pocket pairs that probably don't call multiple barrels (e.g. 77, 66).
That being said, you can either bet as a dead money grab, or you can check and hope to get a free card that improves your equity.
As played, you checked, which is fine. Making TPTK on the turn is great, but I think I'd bet a little less. Since you're targeting one pair hands like JJ/99, a smaller bet is appropriate, because your fold equity zoomed right up when the scare card hit the turn. It's a similar story on the river. Very few worse hands can call a large bet, so I'd go for something like half pot, expecting JJ/99 to make crying calls.

You can't really anticipate a slowplay, except by referring to notes. If a villain routinely slowplays sets, then be more cautious. Against players that are more straightforward, the bet-fold line is appropriate.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 03, 2013, 05:00 AM
(#6)
Hi Arty/3revos,

Thanks for the support.

Quote:
About this hand, i would try to estimate the opponent's calling range. (pocket pairs?, high suited connetors?, random junk if he is fish? etc) Then would ask myself how often does he connect with that flop and in what way? Can i generate enough folds in order a cbet to be proftable? What is his fold_to_cbet stat and how often is he going to showdown?

Do you find these thought guidelines purposeful? gl
I find these guidelines extremely helpful; i just need to put them into practice.

Cheers,

pullin1988

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com