Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL - triple barell bluff?

Old
25NL - triple barell bluff? - Wed Jul 03, 2013, 08:37 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
Here's a hand that I have mixed feelings about; In general, I've been having some confidence issues with my game since I've moved up to 25nl - could be run bad or unlucky board runouts which I feel has forced me off my game and pushing hard to win hands.

Anyway, here's the hand and my thought process:

We open the SB with A2s and got called in the BB; the BB is unknown but by the stack size the opponent looks recreational and fishy.

We hit bottom pair on a dry-ish flop; We cbet for value I guess and capitalization of dead money. Once we are called on this flop, I think our opponent could have TP type of hand or a Pair + Draw, st8 Draw/gutshot, or two overs.

When the Q hits the turn, I think we need to start looking to turn our hand into a bluff against TP hands and not give a way a free card. So I decide to bet turn and get called again.

The reason why I titled this hand as "25NL - triple barell bluff" is because I don't think our pair has SD value
The question is do we bet this river? especially now that a backdoor flush made it.

The rule clearly states: never bluff a fish BUT how does the turn and river help our fold equity?

Do you think this thought process is flawed? and how would you have played this hand OTF and OTT otherwise, and what would you do OTR?

Old
Wed Jul 03, 2013, 11:24 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
What range of hands do you think villain calls the turn with?

Old
Wed Jul 03, 2013, 11:32 AM
(#3)
A6,A5,A3,75,65,54
AQ,KQ,QJ,QT,Q9
JTs-J8s, Axs

Old
Wed Jul 03, 2013, 05:22 PM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2012
If you are ever going to bluff this guy this is one of the best board runouts you could be hoping for. If you do not bluff this through (or think like me it is not a good idea to do it b vs b against a fishy shortstacker) then do not even bother cbetting. Check call and proceed cautiously from there that's how I would play the hand

Old
Thu Jul 04, 2013, 05:52 AM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey Geo

I think the best river card in the deck for us to bluff villain off some one pair hand like 33 that is better than our one pair is an offsuit, non spade, king. On this king villain will have more flushes than you might think and they are never folding. I don't mind this line so much if you are going to bet the flop, but there are a ton of alterantives here.

One line I like here is betting the flop and check-calling the turn. This is situation where a) villain has a very wide flop continuing range and b) will not be always value betting every better hand when the Q comes out and c) doesn't have much QX themselves. So some villains will correctly bet 55 in position on this Q turn, but often villains in this spot won't. Which means they will be firing a float-heavy turn range in this spot. When that's true we really can take advantage of them with a turn check-call and they will not often put the full pressure on us on the river.

The final alternative is to check-call flop. I like this option a decent amount. Whether we check-call or bet the flop, we probably keep villain's AX in his turn range, so that we will realize our implied odds on the two tainted A turns. But check-calling perhaps does a better job of that I think. We can pretty much check-call any turn card and check-fold the river after check-calling turn, unimproved, without being too worried.

As played, on this runout, I would expect a shove to be profitable. But there might be more +EV lines out there.

I hope you enjoyed reading this

Old
Thu Jul 04, 2013, 05:55 AM
(#6)
Thanks Gareth

Atleast you don't hate the river shove; I did end up shoving and he called with K5! Give me a freaking break!

Old
Thu Jul 04, 2013, 10:30 AM
(#7)
Since: Nov 2011
That's no problem, when he has a hand that strong he will call and he can have hands like that. That his turn calling range is that wide really helps our argument for shoving the river.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com