Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL - AA facing river x/r

Old
25NL - AA facing river x/r - Wed Jul 03, 2013, 02:50 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
Looking for opinion on how I played this hand.

Villain is basically an unknown
24/24/1 (17)

I checked back the turn because I get a bit concerned when there is a Q or a J on board in a 3bet pot when the villain flats our 3bet; I feel that when people call a 3bet oop their hands lean towards QQ/JJ/TT

After the river gets checked, I decided to go for value against an AQ hand, but we got x/r all in. Easy fold yea?

Old
Thu Jul 04, 2013, 05:45 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey Geo

Have you considered bet-folding the turn in this spot?

It is not as if your opponent is going to check-raise QJ here, so I think their check-raising range is going to be trip 9s or better, which we have poor equity against. So we might be in a situation where v his turn check-raising range we either have

2 outs v 9x
4 outs v straights
2 outs v JJ/QQ

This means that bet-fold can be a good option since we will never be getting the right price versus their check-raising range and we don't sacrifice equity. On the other hand against their check-calling range we probably have tremendous equity. For example, hands we can target for value, KQ and AQ, have two outs. Targeting TT is also a good idea, and this hand will a) not call a river bet unimproved with the board have two overs and b) will call a turn bet and having ten outs we would like to protect/value bet our hand now.

Of course there could be other hands out there to value bet, like QTs or QJ or AJ floats, or who knows. As played I think its an easy bet.fold on the river. Villain has a full house here practically 100% of the time. So no te preocuppes as they say.

Old
Thu Jul 04, 2013, 05:51 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
I don't know what's wrong with me these past few days
I checked back turn because I had a gut feeling that he would be sitting on QQ/JJ a lot of the time, so I wanted to keep the pot small and not commit myself, I was planning to call if he bet river. Yet then I bet river and called his raise and as I suspected he had QQ!!!!

I planned my hand well, and did not stick to it! Just bad poker from my part... I guess all those board runouts have gotten to me!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com