Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

KJo Reshove with Short Stack

Old
KJo Reshove with Short Stack - Thu Jul 04, 2013, 07:57 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
This is the final 2 tables of the $1.35 turbo knockout MTT with 7500 player field so a decent amount of money within reach, I think $1200 or so 1st place. I was sitting short and when tiny stack shoved in front it looked like a good spot to grab some chips. I was okay with the play immediately after but now I'm kicking myself.

Thoughts?

Old
Fri Jul 05, 2013, 01:59 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2012
I would shove unopened pot.

Old
Fri Jul 05, 2013, 03:09 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2012
I think the position and stage of tournament would have demanded a fold. But then again I am complete NIT lol

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 05, 2013, 06:10 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn_akka View Post
I think the position and stage of tournament would have demanded a fold. But then again I am complete NIT lol
with 6bb's it's easy shove for me but in an unopened pot. the fact that I have 6bb's is more important than position and a tourney's stage.

Old
Fri Jul 05, 2013, 12:46 PM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi 85FastLane

Eeeek! I think it would be correct to fold in this circumstance but I'm not entirely sure.

If it had been folded to you then I like the shove but when the shorty goes in for 2.5 bb's it really complicates things. I think that mathematically it could very well be correct to get it in but I think folding and preserving the little amount of fold equity we have would be best.
If we could heads up with he ultra shorty 100% of the time then I like the iso shove but this isn't going to happen very often at all.

Another thing that puts me off is even when we do get heads up we can lose the pot, and when we lose the pot we will be left with just 3 big blinds and with the big blind approaching us just a couple of hands later this is crippling.

Cheers, Chris.

Old
Fri Jul 05, 2013, 01:23 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I agree with Chris on this one, as I'm folding too.

I'd be more than happy to open-shove with KJo, but IMO, it's way too weak to call a shove with, as it takes a much stronger hand to call a shove, than to shove with.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 05, 2013, 01:35 PM
(#7)
I'm not too scared of the tiny 2.5BB stack shove because with the blinds right on his tail he is motivated to get it in with a huge range. But my position is too early to assume we're going to a flop heads up. I was relying on having a decent amount of fold equity since everyone is sitting on pretty small stacks at this point, but I'm not going to get a medium pair or AK to fold. I think this play only makes sense if I was button or CO and there was just the one small shove in front. Still pretty happy with how far I got in this big of a field. Thanks for the feedback.

Old
Fri Jul 05, 2013, 01:42 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi 85FastLane!

KJo, from my open-shove call chart is too weak of a hand, the only hands with a K on it are KK, AKs, AK, KQs. Even KQo is too light.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 05, 2013, 02:24 PM
(#9)
With 2.5BB stack and about to be hit by blinds I think he is shoving far worse than KJo. I knew this move wasn't a sure thing but a risk had to be taken to try to be in the running for top spot. Safe poker can only take you so far. To me, it's position that was wrong here for me. I'd happily get this hand in against this player with these stacks again if I knew it'd be heads up. I mean no disrespect. Thanks for your thoughts, they make me think hard about this spot.

Old
Fri Jul 05, 2013, 04:11 PM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Right.. KJo is well within the SHOVE range, but it's not in the call range, because for a hand to call, it really should be in the top 30% of the opp's range and KJ falls just short of it.

At 2.5BB from the opp's table position, the shove range is top 38.6%... so to call, I'd need a top 11% hand and KJo is not a part of that range.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 05, 2013, 05:08 PM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2010
All I can add is my sympathy as I know this situation well

Old
Fri Jul 05, 2013, 06:33 PM
(#12)
Since: Sep 2011
fold

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com