Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

how can i make up big stack in micro MTT, early, middle stage?

Old
how can i make up big stack in micro MTT, early, middle stage? - Fri Jul 05, 2013, 08:01 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
I have played in 0.10~1.10 tourney but I cant made big stack in early, middle stage ever!
Some players have big stack in early, middle stages but I don't know how they make a big stack

How can I make big stack in early, middle stage in micro limit MTT? or, In micro MTT in making early, middle stage big stack can only luck?

sorry to my english

Old
Fri Jul 05, 2013, 08:08 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by omote23 View Post
I have played in 0.10~1.10 tourney but I cant made big stack in early, middle stage ever!
Some players have big stack in early, middle stages but I don't know how they make a big stack

How can I make big stack in early, middle stage in micro limit MTT? or, In micro MTT in making early, middle stage big stack can only luck?

sorry to my english
Why do you want a big stack early?

It's much better to have a big stack late on in tournaments. You can gather chips on the bubble by being aggressive in the right spots and abusing those just looking to min cash.

Building a stack early usually means tangling with maniacs or cbeing on the right end of a cooler.

Old
Fri Jul 05, 2013, 09:03 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
from what i have learned and it depends quite a lot on what you play what your starting stack is and speed level wise,

I prefer to play tight even if it takes 20 min to play my first hand watch your table closely identify your opponents with what range they are playing and take advantage of that.

Risk big amounts of chips with big hands and big probability to win.

Regards,
Prohorse3

don't beg for things do it yourself or else you won't get anything

Old
Fri Jul 05, 2013, 10:38 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Players that get a big stack early on usually do it by playing quite loosely and taking taking big risks. Indeed, it's often maniacs that have a big stack as you enter the middle-late stages.
I prefer being more cautious/tight early on, but the best style is probably somewhere in between, with some speculation where appropriate.
There have been hundreds of PSO live training sessions about tourney strategy, so I'd recommend you join them if the times are convenient. There was one the other day called "Why am I always short-stacked?" which I found quite helpful. That one's not been added to the archive yet, but you can check out the videos of previous sessions to see how the trainers play in the early stages.
See
Andy's archive.
Dave's archive.
Chris's archive.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 05, 2013, 12:35 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
The overwhelming majority of the times, the big stacks in the early/middle stages are from maniacs that get lucky.... and most of them throw their chips away by continuing to play that style (it's very bad long-term to play this style). It's best to be patient, then let one of them double you when you get a big hand.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 05, 2013, 03:57 PM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2013
Wait for aces or kings>click all in button>win some chips
Easy game.

Old
Fri Jul 12, 2013, 12:41 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2011
Its all about the reads man. Thats whats going to make you chips in the middle and end game. Doubling up later in the tourny is far more important than at the start

Triple Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com