Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Where am i?????

Old
Where am i????? - Sat Jul 06, 2013, 12:25 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2011
Hi PSO Admin,

I've been with Pokerstars for bout 10 years, and with PSO for about 2. Been telling myself that I should be a lot more advanced by now, with a substantial bankroll, instead it's quite the opposite. I'm no more different than when I first found Pokerstars. I'm hoping this program may help me start my bankroll, and consistently manage it. Am I eligible?

Old
Sat Jul 06, 2013, 12:30 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jul 06, 2013, 12:40 PM
(#3)
Hi Mr. rayzor,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.
Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Bankroll Builder first hand to be analyzed - Sun Jul 07, 2013, 07:26 AM
(#4)

I'm just before the button, holding JJ. Two others limp in before me. Seeing this, I raise 10BB plus 1BB for each limper. The button calls, SB folds, BB calls, two limpers fold. Board pairs an undercard plus one overcard. BB goes all-in, I make a min raise to open a side pot but Button folds. Showdown: JcJs versus 5d8c
Board turns 2c, rivers 9d. Three 8s win. JJ lose.

Old
Phase 1 completed - Sun Jul 07, 2013, 08:26 AM
(#5)
I have completed all 3 assigned tasks and aced the quiz. Thanks for the refresher course. am I allowed to post another hand for analysis?

Old
Sun Jul 07, 2013, 10:58 AM
(#6)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 07, 2013, 12:17 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Mr. rayzor!

With JJ (or any other hand that I want to raise with), I'm going to make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 2 limpers, I will raise to 5BB or 1k. I want to keep all of my raises standard so that the opps are continually guessing as to the strength of my hand. Opps that bet more with better hands and less with marginal ones are basically turning their cards face-up to their opponents.. something that I want to avoid.

The flop brings an overcard and a pair and an opp shoves. While I do have a pair, I'm beat by any Q or 8 and due to this, I need to muck. I want to be putting my chips into the pot when I'm ahead, not when I'm behind and since an opp shoving could easily be a card that beats me, I need to muck.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 07, 2013, 12:19 PM
(#8)
Excellent!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks completed and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Cool
Sun Jul 07, 2013, 02:42 PM
(#9)
Thanks John, I see the light and the error of my ways. My raise was too big, showing the strength of my cards and I forced the issue with a pair that's probably beat. I'll keep it in mind.

Old
Sun Jul 07, 2013, 09:04 PM
(#10)
Hi Mr. rayzor,

Please do not play any more tournaments, to do so may make you ineligible to continue in the Bankroll Builder promotion. Play only regular speed 1c/2c full ring (9 seat) tables as instructed in Step Two.
Thank you for your cooperation, and good luck at the tables.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 08, 2013, 07:43 AM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokyPokyToo View Post
Hi Mr. rayzor,

Please do not play any more tournaments, to do so may make you ineligible to continue in the Bankroll Builder promotion. Play only regular speed 1c/2c full ring (9 seat) tables as instructed in Step Two.
Thank you for your cooperation, and good luck at the tables.

Joss

G'day,
Does this also include the PSO open skill league, and Hubbles, which I regularly play. Please advise, will not play any till then.

Thanks.

Old
Mon Jul 08, 2013, 11:24 AM
(#12)
Hi Mr. rayzor,

Freerolls only may be played - do not spend any of your bonus on games other than 1/2 cent full ring tables. To do otherwise will disqualify you from future bonuses. When posting hands here, they must be from ring games only, as cash game strategy differs significantly from tournament play.

Good luck at the tables!

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Cool
Mon Jul 08, 2013, 12:37 PM
(#13)
Thank you for clarification.

Old
BB vs Sb with - Wed Jul 10, 2013, 12:11 AM
(#14)
hi Guys, I've completed the cash games course and watched the videos.The reasons why I would make a big bet is either to protect my hand, to pressure the opps or to bluff them of a decent hand.

I also played 1c/2c on real money tables. Here's an example, in this hand, the table was breaking up and I was in the BB with pocket 8s.

Did I play this wrong?

Old
Wed Jul 10, 2013, 11:16 AM
(#15)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 10, 2013, 12:16 PM
(#16)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Mr. rayzor!

Firstly, this table has many players sitting out or missing entirely. The PSO courses are designed for 9-handed full ring play, where you can play a patient and disciplined style as you won't be in the blinds all that often. I would generally leave the table and find a better one if there are more than 2 empty seats, as shorthanded play requires a looser and more aggresive style that leads to wilder variance.

In this blind vs blind battle, the SB limps and you raise which is good. I would raise almost any two cards here, as the SB usually has a weak hand and will fold often. As played, he calls and you see a flop of 732, which is a pretty good flop for you, as you flopped an overpair. Unfortunately, it's hard to get value from worse hands on boards like this. You make a continuation bet, which is fine, but you'll usually only get action from hands like A7, 87, 76 and flush draws. What happens here is villain check-raises. A read/notes on villain would help here. If he's raising for value, you're really not beating much. You have an overpair, but it's the worst overpair. If villain has a set, you're in bad shape, drawing to 2 outs. You're only doing well if villain has a flush draw and two overs. The problem with 3-bet shoving is that you'll never get called by worse. If villain was semi-bluffing with a draw, then he will fold, so you don't get paid. If he has a set, he snap calls and wins your stack. I think a better play is to just call the raise and see what villain does on the turn. If he fires out a big bet, and especially if the turn brings a third flush card, you can safely fold, because your one pair is no good. Villain flopped a set here, so you only had 2 outs.
In future, before making a bet or raise for value, because you think you have the best hand, ask yourself "Can I get called by worse?" If no worse hands are ever calling your raise, then don't make the bet. If villain is bluffing, it's best to call and let him continue to bluff. Don't risk your whole stack until you are sure you have the best hand and villain will call with a worse one.

Hope this helps!
To get more tuition on cash game basics, I recommend going to live training sessions for the Wednesday and Saturday Games if you can. You'll even be able to play alongside other PSO members in the Homegame club and get instant feedback on the way you play your hands. Good luck!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 10, 2013, 08:03 PM
(#17)
Hi Mr. rayzor,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 11, 2013, 12:28 AM
(#18)
Thanks ArtySmokesPS,

I'll definitely keep these points in mind as my poker game develops. Also, I did attend the Wednesday "Cash games" Training @ 20:20 and 20:40. And I"ll be there again.

However, as I am a recreational poker player, I do not have a (HUD).I used the Pokeroffice free trial for 300 hands.....but that's not near enough to even begin to come to terms with so much info...in so little time,(it expired in a few hrs). Question, should I invest in one? if so, which one?

Old
Thu Jul 11, 2013, 05:03 PM
(#19)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Mr Rayzor! I saw you in the FLH training. You can learn a lot by going to training sessions. (I'm still learning new things every week!)

If you plan to play 20,000 hands or more in the next 6 months, then I think getting a HUD is pretty much mandatory, as most of the regs use them, so you're at a disadvantage if you play without one. I use Holdem Manager 2, but right now I think Poker Tracker 4 is the market leader. Either of these two are fully featured and have trial periods that last up to 14 days. I would wait until you have plenty of time to spare, so that you can get maximum use of the trial version without paying a penny. If you play well and get lucky, you'll make enough money to buy the software of your choice. HUDs/trackers can be difficult to set up initially, but they pay for themselves fairly quickly if you grind several thousand hands.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Cool
Thu Jul 11, 2013, 10:07 PM
(#20)
Thanks ArtySmokes,

I'll invest in the hud after I'm through with the bankroll builder promotion. In the meantime i'll hit the tables to try out my new and improved poker skills and to rake in those VPPs for the next level. Till then, thanks. I'll post a trouble hand for review as i get one.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com