Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL FR, KJ in CO, raised pre, called flop, turn. Should have folded flop?

Old
2NL FR, KJ in CO, raised pre, called flop, turn. Should have folded flop? - Sat Jul 06, 2013, 07:14 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
Villain is 66/0 (4 hands).

Question: Had it been better to fold on the flop instead of call the raise?

Cheers,
DrJ

Old
Sat Jul 06, 2013, 09:20 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
Hi Dr Jevsky,

he did not raise the flop but bet into you (raise would be the second bet on the flop), this bet into the Rreflop-Raiser (You) is called a donkbet.

You should not fold to his donkbet, especially since he bet less than half pot. Your option on the flop were to call or to raise yourself. If calling or raising is better here would debend on reads you have on the opponent. The only read we have is that he does not play a full stack and is a NL2 player, so he is a weak player who probably calls to much. That means turning your hand into a semibluff by raising is probably not very profitable imo since he might even call you with a pair of tens and a weak kicker here. So I think just calling the flop and his small turn bet as you did, is the best line. If he would have bet the turn a bit bigger like 16 cents you probably should have folded the turn already.

Old
Sun Jul 07, 2013, 11:58 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi DrJevsky294!

almigthybald has pretty much got this one covered. Villain didn't raise the flop. He donked into you. Since he's playing 66/0 over this tiny sample size, he's probably a level one thinker, and I think his donkbet means he has top pair with the queen. I'd usually just call on the flop, as you have an OESD and an overcard. Raising doesn't appeal, because I doubt this villain is capable of folding top pair, so you'd just be setting a higher price to hit your draw. Your equity declines on the turn as you only have one card to come, but villain's bet is less than half pot again. I would call because I expect there to be pretty good implied odds, meaning that if you river the straight, you're likely to get some money from villain. e.g. you're calling 12c on the turn, but you stand to win not just the 26c in the pot, but probably about another 30c on the river too. With implied odss of (26+30):12 = 56:12 = almost 5 to 1. Since the odds against making the straight are closer to 4:1, it's profitable to call the turn.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 07, 2013, 07:45 PM
(#4)
Thanks for the feedback!

What about the 77c bet he made on the river? Was I correct to fold?

DrJ

Old
Sun Jul 07, 2013, 08:00 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
Of course. You can't call a river shove with king high!
Your plan from the flop onwards is to try and make the nut straight for a cheap price and then to get value if/when you hit it. If you fail to make the straight, you can fold the river.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 08, 2013, 07:18 AM
(#6)
Just as I suspected

Thanks!

Old
Mon Jul 08, 2013, 07:39 AM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2013
lol you can definitely fold the river

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com