Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Was i too passive $0.02 hyper-turbo.

Old
Was i too passive $0.02 hyper-turbo. - Sun Jul 07, 2013, 07:30 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2011

I've always had trouble playing small and middle pairs. What am I doing wrong? Here's an example.

Last edited by Mr. rayzor; Sun Jul 07, 2013 at 07:32 PM..

Old
Sun Jul 07, 2013, 08:53 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
** moved to appropriate forum **

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 08, 2013, 02:15 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Mr. rayzor!

With this being a hyper turbo format, I need to be playing hands very aggressively and not passively. With 55 and a limp in front of me, I'm going to make a standard raise, which for this blind level is to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper, or 700.

The flop brings a pair and overcards. Here is where I need to make a decision in the hand. If I bet, I need to make a standard bet, which needs to be based on the pot size, number of opps and the board texture. With 4 opps, I need to make a pot-sized bet.. BUT.. that's the majority of my stack, so I either need to shove or fold and with this being a hyper.. I'll take my chances here, as I may not get another opportunity before I have no chips left, so I will shove the flop.

When playing the hyper turbos, since the stacks get so short very early, taking an aggressive approach to them is needed.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 09, 2013, 01:40 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2011
Thanks John, I'll try a more aggressive approach in future, will let u know how it turns out.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com