Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Is it possible to build a bankroll playing the micros?

Old
Question
Is it possible to build a bankroll playing the micros? - Sun Jul 07, 2013, 10:49 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
Is it plausible to get to the higher stakes starting in the micros?

I want to take part in the Bankroll Builder promotion!

Old
Mon Jul 08, 2013, 06:21 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semdas View Post
Is it plausible to get to the higher stakes starting in the micros?

I want to take part in the Bankroll Builder promotion!
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Please read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 08, 2013, 09:59 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Semdas,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.
Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Bankroll Builder feedback - Mon Jul 08, 2013, 10:33 AM
(#4)

I was trying to represent an A in my cards in this hand, but the other player kept calling my raises despite not having a good hand until the end. What did I did wrong?

Old
All 3 steps completed. - Mon Jul 08, 2013, 11:46 AM
(#5)
I have completed all 3 steps!

Old
Mon Jul 08, 2013, 06:11 PM
(#6)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 09, 2013, 06:49 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Semdas!

With 22 on the button, when I get 3 limpers in front of me, since my stack is deep enough to setmine, I'm going to call and hope to flop a two. If I did raise, I would need to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, which would be to 6BB or 60.

The flop brings a pair and all overcards (imagine that since I've got twos) and I have both opps check to me. If I want to try to represent the ace here, I need to make a standard value bet, which should be sized based on the number of opps, pot size and board texture. With 2 opps, I need to bet 2/3 pot or 147 chips.

The turn is a blank and after having the opp call my previous bets, I'd check behind here for pot control. If I was to bet again, I would need to make a standard value bet based on one opp, which is 1/2 pot (215 chips).

The river is another 5, which totally counterfeits my hand and when the opp checks to me, I absolutely need to check behind and go to showdown and hope I'm not beat (which I most likely am).

The key here is to setmine preflop, then make standard bets postflop. By making awkward bet sizes, the hand does not tell a consistant story throughout and when that happens, it's normally going to be from a player bluffing. Overbetting preflop, says strength, then an abnormally small bet on the flop says weakness, then another overbet, then another overbet... they do not tell a consistant story and an observant opponent will pick up that it is a bluff.
It's much better to be making value bets in lower stakes games than bluffing, as there are too many opps that will call with anything. When the opp calls preflop and on the flop, I need to check/fold unless my hand improves, as I do not have the best hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 09, 2013, 07:28 PM
(#8)
Ok. I think I get it. Thanks!

Old
Wed Jul 10, 2013, 10:50 AM
(#9)
Excellent!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks completed and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Interesting hand. - Wed Jul 10, 2013, 05:31 PM
(#10)

I dont know if I played this hand well. I think I should have raise preflop.

Last edited by Semdas; Wed Jul 10, 2013 at 05:36 PM..

Old
Reasons why may a player want to make a big bet. - Wed Jul 10, 2013, 05:40 PM
(#11)
3 reasons why may a player want to make a big bet:

1.To put preassure on the oponents.
2.To bluff people off decent hands.
3.To protect against strong draws.

Old
Thu Jul 11, 2013, 09:21 AM
(#12)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Semdas, I'll take a look at the hand in post #10.

With 77 in early position, it's a close decision, but I would actually just fold, because with 7 players to act, you probably don't have the best hand and it's hard to play small pairs profitably out of position. As played, you limped in. Open-limping (calling the blind) is a weak play, because it gives opponents a very cheap price to see if they can hit the flop. The big blind can even check his option and see a flop for free, and you don't want that, because the flop will often bring overcards to your pair. If villains have weak or speculative hands (like 44, 76s, A5s) then you want to charge them for trying to beat your hand. If you're going to play the hand, you should make a standard raise to 3bb (6c), which will mean:
* You often win the blinds (which adds 3c to your stack without you even showing your hand).
* It's more likely you'll get heads up (it's easier to beat one opponent than several).
* You can make a good fold if someone re-raises, because they can only 3-bet with a super-strong hand like QQ+/AK.
* You can follow up your pre-flop raise with a continuation bet on the flop, which is likely to take it down even if you missed.

Your limp causses several players to enter the pot, first with a call, and then a minraise and a couple more calls. You can call now, because you have a bargain price to go set-mining in a multiway pot. Your plan should be to try and flop a set of trips and then bet and raise to try and win a whole stack. If you don't make a set, then don't put another cent in the pot.
The flop comes KJ6, all spades, so you didn't make a set. You also have no flush draw. Even though you only need to call 2c into a 24c pot, I recommend folding here. You only have 2 outs to a set, but one of the 7s will make a 4-flush on the board. In a multiway pot, it's much more likely that someone flopped a flush, and if another spade hits the board, then it's almost certain someone has it. Another player calls and you see the turn. You get a miracle card here. The red seven that gives you a set and doesn't put 4 cards to a flush on the board. You probably have the best hand now, so when a villain again minbets, raising is correct. You want to get value and deny the villains the right price to draw to a flush. A bet close to the size of the pot is advised. 21c will do fine. One player calls, and the river is a terrible card. The puts four cards to a flush on the board, and also completes a straight for hands like AQ and Q9. I see no point in betting here. If villain doesn't have a flush, he's never calling. All you can do is check and hope that villain checks behind with top pair or two pairs. As played, you make a medium-sized bet and villain raises. It's clear he has you beat, so you fold.

I think you can learn from this hand why playing out of position is hard. Even when you hit your set, you couldn't get maximum value. If the flush hadn't come in, villain wouldn't call your river bet, but when it does come in, your bet gets raised. Always try and think of the hands that can call your bets. If nothing worse can call, then don't make the bet. Since playing hands like 77 out of position is so tough, I'd recommend you fold it in early position next time.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Thu Jul 11, 2013 at 09:23 AM..

Old
Thu Jul 11, 2013, 01:05 PM
(#13)
Thanks, it helps a lot!

Old
All 3 tasks completed! - Thu Jul 11, 2013, 05:39 PM
(#14)
All 3 tasks have been completed.

Old
Fri Jul 12, 2013, 12:44 AM
(#15)
Hi Semdas,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
I lose the bonus. - Fri Jul 12, 2013, 10:56 AM
(#16)

I first lose most of the bonus in this hand.

And then lose the ramaining to this hand.

Old
Fri Jul 12, 2013, 05:52 PM
(#17)
Thank you for posting these hands for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at them for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once they've been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 12, 2013, 08:30 PM
(#18)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi again semdas! Let's take a look at the 2 hands in post #16.

1. You have AQ in middle position, facing a raise by a villain in EP. This may surprise you, but I'd actually recommend folding here. AQo doesn't play well against the strong range of early position opens. As played, you call and the pot is 3-handed on a two-tone board of T87. This is a very wet board that connects with many hands, but missed yours by a mile. For villain to bet into 2 players on this board, he needs a very strong hand, like a set of tens or an overpair. Since you completely missed this board and are not closing the action (the player behind you could raise), there's only one good option and that is to fold. Instead you call, which is a mistake. You have two overcards, but they are unlikely to both be live. Hitting the ace will be terrible if villain has AK or AA, and a queen is no good if villain has QQ+. The turn is a blank 2 and villain bets again, but it's a small bet in relation to the size of the pot. This is actually a good spot to try bluffing, because you can credibly represent that you flopped a set, two pairs or a straight. The problem is that villain might not believe you, and be too much in love with his overpair to fold. I don't recommend bluffing often at these stakes. Villains call too often, which is why it's best to make a real hand and then get value for it when they make bad calls. Villain calls your raise and the river is a 9. This puts 4 cards to a straight on the board, making this a very scary board for QQ, KK and AA. I think continuining with your story and repping the straight or a set makes sense, as QQ+ can't call another big bet. Unfortunately, villain has the one overpair that is always calling. With JJ, he rivered a straight, so he snap calls and wins a large pot. I'm not sure if you were consciously trying to rep a set/straight and tried to get villain to fold an overpair, but if you were, then you were quite unlucky that villain improved his hand on the river. Generally speaking, though, I think you should cut down on the bluffs. Reserve your big bets and raises for when you have a real hand.

2. You're very short-stacked here, with 15bb. Pocket tens is one of the few hands you can afford to play with this stack size. (When short, you should play tighter than usual, as you can't go speculating with small pairs and suited connectors, as you don't have the implied odds of winning a big pot). You raised UTG and the player right behind you re-raises. For him to 3-bet vs an UTG open, he has to have a very strong hand. If you were deeper stacked, I'd recommend folding, but here your hand is too strong to fold after putting so much of your stack in already. In the best case scenario, villain will call with AK/AQ and you'll be racing for your life. Here, unforuntely, he shows up with aces, so you're way behind and will lose the pot about 80% of the time. Amazingly, you hit a set on the flop, but so did villain. Set over set is very rare and it's always brutal. You were unlucky here. You got your money in with a strong hand, but villain had the strongest.

Better luck with the next stage of the promo!
To get more tuition on cash game basics, I recommend going to live training sessions for the Wednesday and Saturday Games if you can. You'll even be able to play alongside other PSO members in the Homegame club and get instant feedback on the way you play your hands.

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 08:33 PM..

Old
Fri Jul 12, 2013, 08:58 PM
(#19)
Thanks again for another good analysis of my play!

Old
Sat Jul 13, 2013, 12:38 AM
(#20)
Hi Semdas,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is now on it's way to you.

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com