Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL - The cbet vs check back flop dilema

Old
25NL - The cbet vs check back flop dilema - Tue Jul 09, 2013, 12:22 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
I'm not too happy with how I played this hand, because I did not know where I was at during the hand probably because of my flop check back.

V1 38/21/2 (94)
3bet 5%

V3 25/17/3 (236)
3bet 2%

We open UTG with JJ and we are 3 way to the flop: 7KTr
looking at the board and our hand, it's K high, rainbow, and little straight draws given that we block QJ, AJ and AQ/98 have 2 outs to a J - So I decided to check thinking that by betting we are never folding better or called by worse and I'm not too worried about getting outdrawn.

I was planning on c/c-ing if V1 bets and V3 folds

What do you think of the flop check? Should we always be betting because we are 3way and not HU? and to get value from the 16 combos of draws?

So it got checked through and the turn brings the Jc which gives us a set but also puts two straights on board with 98 and AQ. V3 leads out with a pot sized bet.

Against a range of { TT, 77, AQs-AJs, KJs+, 98s, AQo-AJo, KJo+ } we are 60% favorite - Would you call or raise?
If we raise, what do we do if it gets re-raised given stack sizes?

Old
Tue Jul 09, 2013, 01:02 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
The villains have considerably wide pre-flop calling ranges judging by their stats and the situation. That, you opening UTG, and holding a made hand vulnerable to A or Q makes me think that c-betting would be reasonable. I don't know what your table image was like at the time, but if villains viewed you as a TAG then they will have a hard time calling multiple streets of betting even with a weak pair of K's.

If you c-bet the flop and spiked your J on the turn I would probably barrel again making sure to continue to get value against much of BB's range. Facing a check-raise I suppose I'd call and hope to improve on the river.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com