Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

FLOP TRIPS WITH WEAK KICKER

Old
FLOP TRIPS WITH WEAK KICKER - Tue Nov 26, 2002, 12:20 PM
(#1)
Deleted user
hi there

playing in a rebuy event, blinds 30-60 i am BB holding 8-4
7 handed, 3rd seat calls SBcalls i check.

flop 8s-8h-7s SB checks i bet 500, 3rd seat passes SB raises
500, do i call pass or reraise.

will welcome all comments and tell you how i finished the
hand off.

good flops for all
peter

Old
Tue Nov 26, 2002, 12:25 PM
(#2)
Deleted user
depends on table dynamics etc.
Personally i reraise and reach into my pocket for the rebuy money

Old
Tue Nov 26, 2002, 04:29 PM
(#3)
Deleted user
not knowing much info about the type of player the small blind is, and not knowing the stack sizes at the moment, i would say raise. is this a no limit tourny or pot limit? he only doubled your bet, i would maove allin if i had him covered. if you rerasie him all in, and he has anything less than A/8 or 77, he will be tempted and fold, unless he just doesnt care. i say put the pressure back on him, he didnt commit to too many chips on his raise, which to me shows weakness.(or a trap) it depends on the player....... he could have 7/8 and you are drawing dead, it would have to be a decision made at that particular time, i dont think calling, raising, or folding would be a bad move. they can all be argued either way.........

jmuzzey lsogc

Old
Tue Nov 26, 2002, 07:46 PM
(#4)
Deleted user
Raise. He's got an overpair or ace high. You bust him with your junk hand and it serves him right for not raising pre-flop. If I were him I would think your bet of 3 times the size of the pot was a bluff and you weren't looking for action.

Peace, Starrs

PS. A bit more information might help.

Old
Wed Nov 27, 2002, 02:33 AM
(#5)
Deleted user
I agree with jmuzzey. Any answer could be the right one depending on other information, though I doubt the stack sizes will be deep enough to make calling an option.

I am curious why you made such a big bet. It can't be a good move. Your bet size and working out what your opponent thinks it means based on previous play, coupled with the stack sizes, would probably tell you what you want to know.

Old
Wed Nov 27, 2002, 08:52 AM
(#6)
Deleted user
Agree with Noodles. $200 (slightly more than the pot), will tell you what you need to know.

$200 looks likes you want a call; $500 looks like you are scared of a call and are trying to bluff it. And $200 is enough, as you are not giving the SB odds to call on any kind of a draw (str8 or flush).

Your biggest problem is your kicker. It is very common, it seems, for trips to hit two hands. So if he has trips, you are in trouble here. Give it a shot ($200) and if you get played back at, you probably have to drop, unless you have some sort of a read on your opponent, which would be tough in this situation; he is the SB, he could have anything.

Randy

Old
Wed Nov 27, 2002, 09:58 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
Possible hands for the SB:
77 making the boat
87 also making a boat
8? killing your kicker
7? making 2 pair and a dog to you
an overpair
Ax spades on a flush draw (I said POSSIBLE not PROBABLE)

I jam and pray then rebuy if it doesn't hold up.

Old
Wed Nov 27, 2002, 03:41 PM
(#8)
Deleted user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rggator
Your biggest problem is your kicker. It is very common, it seems, for trips to hit two hands. So if he has trips, you are in trouble here. Give it a shot ($200) and if you get played back at, you probably have to drop, unless you have some sort of a read on your opponent, which would be tough in this situation; he is the SB, he could have anything.
I agree with just betting the pot size. If you get played back at on the flop, then if it was all-in, you should probably go with it and call. If it wasn't all-in, then who knows. Could go either way depending on opponent and stack sizes. Usually a fold, but maybe not.

If someone just calls, then you probably should bet again on the turn if a blank falls. Either all-in or the pot size depending on the depth of money. What happens after that really all depends on stacks sizes and opponent.

Old
TRIPS WITH WEAK KICKER - Thu Nov 28, 2002, 09:11 PM
(#9)
Deleted user
HI ALL,

thanks for all your replys and splended advice, i finished
up getting out kicked on the hand (big surprise)

as i agree with all that has been said, i think the crux of this
hand was the betting size.

without doubt i over bet the flop, when i should of saved
my stack for a better time.

anyhow we live and lean (i hope) and get better from it, and
if not we do our chips.

good flops always
peter[/b]

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com