Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Heads Up vs Aggressive Player - Hole Cards - AK diamonds

Old
Heads Up vs Aggressive Player - Hole Cards - AK diamonds - Fri Jul 12, 2013, 09:31 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
ChromeStar
Just wondering if I played this right - it was only the 5-6 hand I think against him.

You think that my reraise preflop and then my shove would of made him think about folding. He insta called.

Frustrating that I had 15 outs. I thought I had a 64% chance of hitting. The Cardplayer poker hand calculator said I only had a 53% chance.

*********** # 22 **************
PokerStars Hand #101297602152: Tournament #756963224, $2.00+$0.20 USD Hold'em No Limit - Match Round II, Level I (10/20) - 2013/07/12 9:49:35 AT [2013/07/12 8:49:35 ET]
Table '756963224 8' 2-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: Krazy5 (1580 in chips)
Seat 2: pistoto1 (1420 in chips)
pistoto1: posts small blind 10
Krazy5: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Krazy5 [Kd Ad]
pistoto1: raises 40 to 60
Krazy5: raises 120 to 180
pistoto1: calls 120
*** FLOP *** [2h 9d 7d]
Krazy5: checks
pistoto1: bets 220
Krazy5: raises 1180 to 1400 and is all-in
pistoto1: calls 1020 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (160) returned to Krazy5
*** TURN *** [2h 9d 7d] [3s]
*** RIVER *** [2h 9d 7d 3s] [8h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Krazy5: shows [Kd Ad] (high card Ace)
pistoto1: shows [Qs 9c] (a pair of Nines)
pistoto1 collected 2840 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2840 | Rake 0
Board [2h 9d 7d 3s 8h]
Seat 1: Krazy5 (big blind) showed [Kd Ad] and lost with high card Ace
Seat 2: pistoto1 (button) (small blind) showed [Qs 9c] and won (2840) with a pair of Nines

Old
Sun Jul 14, 2013, 05:44 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2012
Hello,
I'm not sure just about that it's early stage, but for me it's a good play . You may play that way with nuts on a draw board another time and you will get payed much more often than nits.

Old
Sun Jul 14, 2013, 06:13 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
I'm by no means a HU-player, but I'm not sure about check-raising-all-in on the first blind-level with, what is no more than a nut-flush draw. It seems brutally aggro to me.

With the villain being SB/BTN , I generally assume his raising very wide, (50% or so of hands) . Knowing he was willing to call a 3bet, let's say he has a top 30% hand (55+, A2s+, K5s+, Q7s+, J8s+, T8s+, 98s, A7o+, A5o, K9o+, Q9o+, J9o+, T9o) .

You're only ahead 70% of his range ; I'm not sue I'm willing to gamble my tourney life with that, knowing the blinds are so low. (The higher the blinds would be, the more eager i'd be to get it in the middle there)

Now, knowing he's willing to bet OTF here, I'm assuming he at least hit a piece of it . I'm not sure what I'd do myself in that spot (again, I'm horrible HU) , but check-raisin-allin-on-a-draw isn't really my thing ^^

Old
Mon Jul 15, 2013, 07:58 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
Well you are in a HU tournament, so the decision should be based on how good or bad is villain.
If you think villain is fishy and you have an edge on him, I would prefer calling flop and check/folding on a big bet on the turn if we didn't improve.
But if villain is a solid player I would like the shove because we will have a lot of fold equity vs him.
On this case you were readless so we will assume he is a fish (unless proven otherwise), yeah call flop.

Old
Mon Jul 15, 2013, 11:07 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
I'm not sure why we're checking this flop after we've 3bet pre OOP? (unless we know villain is an aggro spewtard & is betting flop when checked to).
imo, if this ^ is what we were hoping for (which I'm assuming 'is' what we were hoping for when we checked this flop after 3-betting pre) then by all means I'm crai here in this spot!

Old
Mon Jul 15, 2013, 01:41 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Krazy,

I too don't understand the reason for checking the flop to him. We should be betting this flop for value and to protect our equity vs. hands that could really improve with a free card, like JcTc... make him pay to see the turn with those. Plus with the bloated preflop pot size if our c-bet gets raised, we'll have a nice remaining stack to 3b jam which looks very strong and carries real FE, and our holding is in decent shape against everything but a set.

As for him folding, it's not going to happen. Top pair is a big hand heads up. Anyone who calls a 3b with a 9 in their hand is not folding it on a 9 high flop with a low spr. And while your preflop action certainly should concern the villain about overpairs, the flop line is just not credible imo. Maybe HU sng's play differently, but I see this play every once in a while in 6m cash games, where a preflop 3-bettor check-raises the flop... I can't remember the last time they actually had a made hand. Invariably they turn over high cards or a draw. Most players who actually held an overpair would c-bet the flop both for value and protection. This is a nice line to take with a big pair vs. a very aggro opponent to induce them but most players just don't do it, and we don't have this read yet anyway on level 1, so I would assume he's not folding top pair here.

I think we should bet/3b all in on the flop. As played it's ok getting it in but the line carries less credibility and thus less FE imo, and it offers a free card to which if he makes a pair on the turn that misses us, now he won't fold those hands that would have just given up to a c-bet and we'll be behind equity wise.

Edit: I see the thread title states aggressive player, so we must have history from prior sngs... still think bet/3b is a better line than c/r on the flop, even more so if he's aggressive and may raise our flop c-bet light.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by TheLangolier; Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 02:28 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com