Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

palying the mtt

Old
palying the mtt - Fri Jul 12, 2013, 12:38 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
i am new to poker .and recently i started playing poker school league and i think i am doing some thing wrong bcoz i alwasy bust out of short stack .. i wait for premium hand to play but i some how end of busting out early.. i decided topost my hand here so that pso member can help me and point out my mistake .. i sometime get confused how to play these mtt and what are the strategy so that i wont get short stacked ? and i know my english is pretty bad

Old
Fri Jul 12, 2013, 12:51 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi sunil786!

There is no hand in this post.

In the skill leagues, you will mostly be playing a short stack.. so you need to get used to it. Busting early in these is NOT an option. I don't ever want to be all in unless I'm sure I'm going to win the pot.. in the early stages.

If you're a short stack early, it's most likely becauae you are playing non-premium hands and are involved in way too many pots.

To play these correctly... you WILL BE short-stacked until very, very, very late in the tourneys.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 12, 2013, 01:46 PM
(#3)
i know that and i play only the premium hands and i only get short stacked in late game .. .. and i want to know how i can play well and secure my position in late game

and thanxs for ur quick reply (john )

Old
Fri Jul 12, 2013, 04:29 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2012
i would highly suggest watching videos from the library - there are many on there that helped alot of us out about what hands to play, in what position- when to give up and how to play properly

once you have those basics you can adapt your own game into it

Old
Fri Jul 12, 2013, 11:52 PM
(#5)
thanxs bigfoot for ur suggestions

Old
Sat Jul 13, 2013, 01:23 PM
(#6)
this vid
MTT play

may be a good one for you.

you can find several others here

Trainer videos

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Grade b; Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 01:26 PM..

Old
Sun Jul 14, 2013, 05:48 AM
(#7)
thanks grade b bcoz of dat video i finshed in money in 10 cent sit ang go.. i played only premium hand and in position hand

Old
Sun Jul 14, 2013, 06:22 AM
(#8)
i got busted out waited for a good hand to go all in

Old
Mon Jul 15, 2013, 04:19 AM
(#9)
do i need a hud to improve my game play and stratagy

Old
Mon Jul 15, 2013, 11:37 AM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil786 View Post
do i need a hud to improve my game play and stratagy
The first thing you need to learn is basic strategy. HUD's will help, but will be more of a help for cash ring games than tourneys.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 15, 2013, 11:37 AM
(#11)
Since: Sep 2012
nothing you could of done differently with kings there - however the play up to that point is something you might need to look into (again, i didn't see the whole tournament and therefor i cant know for sure)

but you were pretty low on chips and that's why you had close to no fold equity, meaning the big stacks could call your all in with hands like they did (56 and KQ) - for example if you shoved lets say 2000 chips the odds of the 56 hand calling are much slimmer

you might be missing oppurtunitys to steal blinds or play hands that aren't the top of the top but should be in front alot of the times, for example if your in the blinds and you have a hand with Ace in it - most of the times you'll be in front (ofcourse that's not always the case due to variance but in general you should be in front alot of the times) you might need to take a bit more risks to chip up at the right spots to have fold equity and not only wait for the most premiums hands to play

but firstly congrats on making the money, seems your in the right direction keep watching videos and it should help you go up the money ladder more

good luck

Old
Mon Jul 15, 2013, 12:13 PM
(#12)
thnx bigfoot for ur advice i will surly work on that and ..and in pso i waited for premium hand to move all in there and aloso in late gmae like when 500 player are there i always get short stacked

Old
Sat Jul 20, 2013, 02:54 AM
(#13)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
u can see by the play of the two villians who called ur raise that play in a ten cent tourney is pretty bad. for example, u see the guy with 65s minraising after 3 limps in front of him (terrible play), and then u see the guy with KQ calling the other villains bet on the 789T board (even worse play). so u have the right idea by just sticking to premium hands. I think just getting the feel for poker in general would do u a lot of good. just stick to low buyin tourneys and u will eventually learn how to expand ur game. I promise u that it won't be long before u will get the hang of it and be cashing consistently in the microstakes

Old
Wed Jul 24, 2013, 11:16 PM
(#14)
can anyone suggest what shoud be my stats while playing ? at pso i got vpip 16% , steal 44.44 % ,raise 19% ,3 bet 3%, cbet 56 %

Old
Wed Jul 24, 2013, 11:30 PM
(#15)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
can anyone suggest what shoud be my stats while playing ? at pso i got vpip 16% , steal 44.44 % ,raise 19% ,3 bet 3%, cbet 56 %
what type of tourney? they'll all be different. no way a PFR can be higher than a VPIP though.

I aim for 20% VPIP and 16-17% PFR, but that can vary depending on the type of tourney and how good of cards I'm getting. 44% steal to me seems way high.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 25, 2013, 12:04 AM
(#16)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
We've got a good discussion going in the official 'My Stats' thread. I've explained what all the numbers mean, and provided my own numbers, along with some guidelines for "good stats", so maybe you could have a look in that thread. Good luck in the league!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 02, 2013, 03:45 PM
(#17)
damn got busted out early in summer days play money fixed limit.i really played horrible poker

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com