Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

NLHE FR: 444 Bad Beat

Old
Angry
NLHE FR: 444 Bad Beat - Sat Jul 13, 2013, 05:57 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2013

Last edited by Bazzapotter; Sat Jul 13, 2013 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: Did the code wrong

Old
Sat Jul 13, 2013, 06:02 AM
(#2)
Just wanted to check this was a good call or a bad one.

Old
Sat Jul 13, 2013, 08:43 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2012
I'd be calling the shove with any set.

You just got unlucky.

Old
Sat Jul 13, 2013, 08:53 AM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoylegend View Post
I'd be calling the shove with any set.

You just got unlucky.
Thank you for the reassurance mate.

Old
Sat Jul 13, 2013, 10:19 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Bazzapotter!

Where did this hand come from? Different types of tourneys need to be played differently and your answer to that can get multiple different answers in return.

If this is a league game, it's an INSTANT muck preflop. 44 is nowhere near a strong enough hand to be playing in these games. In league games, the one and only goal is to last as long as possible in order to accumulate league points for the end of the month leaderboard. To do so, I only want to play premium hands and to never be all-in unless I'm sure I'll be ahead after all 5 cards are on the board.

If this is a standard cash tourney, then it gets more interesting. The first problem is preflop.

I get a raise to 480 and this creates a HUGE problem. If I want to try to setmine, I need to have 15X this amount in both my stack and my opponent's stack... which I do not have. This rules out calling to set mine, so I either need to raise to 3X the opp's bet or to fold.
With any small pair, due to the stack sizes, I'm going to fold here the overwhelming majority of the time preflop. I can't call to setmine, my stack is too deep to shove preflop and raising also creates a sticky stack situation.. so the best option is to fold and find a better situation.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com