Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

pokerstarsSA

Old
Cool
pokerstarsSA - Sat Jul 13, 2013, 06:43 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
BronzeStar
i would love to take part in the bankroll builder promotion..

Old
Sat Jul 13, 2013, 06:51 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonerZA View Post
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Please read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 14, 2013, 08:16 AM
(#3)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
was i right by playing this hand the way i did? - Mon Jul 15, 2013, 10:52 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar

if i was more aggressive i could have won a big pot,what would have been the right thing to do?

Old
i have completed all 3 steps - Mon Jul 15, 2013, 10:55 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
i have completed all three steps will be awaiting your reply.>>

Old
i have completed all 3 steps - Tue Jul 16, 2013, 04:57 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
waiting for your reply....

Old
Tue Jul 16, 2013, 05:50 AM
(#7)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
waiting for your reply....
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 16, 2013, 12:48 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi spoonerZA!

The first thing that I see is that whenever I play a ring game, I ALWAYS wait for the BB to start playing. By paying extra blinds over and over, this will be a HUGE drain to my bankroll.

With A3s, I get a limp (the post), a min-raise and 2 calls of the min-raise (a standard raise for the opp would have been to 3BB+1BB for each limper). I need to immediately muck here, as A3 is nowhere near strong enough to call or re-raise with. When playing a pot with multiple opponents, I only want to be playing premium hands. Marginal hands, like aces with bad kickers and suited cards that are not large connectors need to be folded preflop.

As a poker player, one thing that I do not want to do is to be results oriented. I want to make the best decision that I can for a given situation, as that is all that I control. The best decision here is to muck the marginal hand preflop.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
reply to previous hand - Tue Jul 16, 2013, 02:26 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
thnks alot for that information that helps me alot and it does get risky playing hands like that with alot of opponents..i know then i made a good decision and know what is best to do when im in a similar situation..

thanks...

Old
Wed Jul 17, 2013, 05:51 AM
(#10)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
i have completed all three steps will be awaiting your reply.>>
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by royalraise85; Wed Jul 17, 2013 at 05:53 AM..

Old
hand i was happy with - Sun Jul 21, 2013, 04:23 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar

it might have not been the right play from that position and cards but i had a gut feeling and bended the rules a little and called it and it payed off.is that sometimes right to do..

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 05:46 AM
(#12)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 12:09 PM
(#13)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi spoonerZA! I'll take a look at the hand in post #11.

With J7o in early-middle position, the standard play is to fold. This hand is trash and does not make money in the long run. Going by "gut feelings" is not how poker players make money. That kind of thought process is for picking lottery numbers or playing bingo. Poker players make money not by going on hunches and random luck, but by looking for situations where they expect to make money. In fact, they make money because other players like to gamble with "lucky hands". Those "lucky hands" are underdogs against solid starting hands. Betting on underdogs will not show a profit in the long run.
As played, you over-limp (just call the big blind) and the pot is played 5 handed. With this many players in the pot, the winning hand will usually have to be very strong to beat everyone else; often being top two pairs at a minimum, but usually it will be a straight/flush or full house that wins. J7o almost never makes top two pairs, or monster hands. The flop comes QT6, so you just have a couple of backdoor (runner-runner) draws. If anyone bets the flop, you have to fold. It actually gets checked around, so you see a free turn card which is a jack. You made a pair, but your kicker is no good, so just calling the 2 chip bet is fine. You don't want to bloat the pot until you're sure you're ahead. Everyone calls this bet, and it's not too surprising, because this board is now very wet. There are all kinds of flush and straight draws on this board. The river comes the . This seems like a good card, because you made two pairs, but notice that this also completes a flush draw. It's also possible that a villain slowplayed 98 that turned a straight.
Since two pairs is not particularly strong on this board, I would try and get to showdown fairly cheaply. What actually happens is villain 9 makes a large bet of bigger than the pot. He's never bluffing here. He has at least two pairs (maybe JT or Q7), but could well have a straight or flush. The flat call by villain 2 could also be in this range too. I see no scope for raising like you did. You're saying "I have a flush", when you obviously don't, but there's no need to make this bluff when your hand has showdown value. Just call and show it down. The biggest problem with raising is that most worse hands will fold (so you don't get any addtional value) and only better hands will call, meaning you lose the maximum. It turns out that somehow your hand is good. A villain with a worse 2 pairs overvalued the strength of his hand hugely. He also made the mistake of slowplaying the flop and turn, when he should have been betting big for value and protection.
When you get to play on the real money tables, a hand like J7 would seldom be good on a board like this. Since it's such a trouble hand, it's far better to just fold pre-flop.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 03:52 PM
(#14)
(Community Coordinator)
Brilliant,

Now, using the first $2 bonus we have given to you we want you to post a hand from the $0.01/$0.02 fullring (9-handed) REAL money tables using the hand replayer.

Once you have posted your Real Money hand we can continue on from there

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
heres my next step posted.. - Tue Sep 03, 2013, 07:18 AM
(#15)
BronzeStar

please look at this hand and please tell me what i did wrong and what i should have done..sometimes i think the bigger stacks just get all the luck no matter what i do..

what do i need to do now that i have posted this hand

thank you

Old
Tue Sep 03, 2013, 02:43 PM
(#16)
(Community Coordinator)

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Sep 04, 2013, 02:29 AM
(#17)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:

please look at this hand and please tell me what i did wrong and what i should have done..sometimes i think the bigger stacks just get all the luck no matter what i do..

what do i need to do now that i have posted this hand

thank you
Hi spoonerZA

Preflop I would suggest sticking to the standard 3-bet size of 3x the origianl raise, or 18c in this case. In this particular hand I doubt that would have made much difference though. It would have made your flop shove pot sized rather than being slightly large.

On the flop you have an overpair and slightly more than a pot sized bet behind. Moving all in as you did is fine, or you could have check-raised all in as well. Note, if you were deeper stacked, I would always lead out with QQ here. We don't want the villain to get a free chance to draw to a flush or an A or K.

As played, you got it in good and were a bit unlucky. You had 80% equity when you moved all in. Yet, being short stacked, it was easy for the villain to call with top pair. Try not to stress the results! You made the right choice and that is what matters in the long run

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Wed Sep 04, 2013, 05:29 AM
(#18)
(Community Coordinator)
Super!

Now please let us know as soon as you pass the Cash Game quiz

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
completed and passed the cash game quiz.. - Thu Sep 05, 2013, 03:05 AM
(#19)
BronzeStar
hi there..

thanks for the feedback on my previous hand i uploaded...helped me a lot knowing i am on the right track..
i have completed the cash game quiz and ready for my next step..

Old
Thu Sep 05, 2013, 05:53 AM
(#20)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
i have completed the cash game quiz and ready for my next step..
Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com