(#1)
Since: Sep 2012

BTN: $10.40 - VPIP: 100, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 1.0, Hands: 3
Hero (SB): $10.00
BB: $9.27 - VPIP: 0, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 12
UTG: $13.09 - VPIP: 100, PFR: 33, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 33
MP: $12.63 - VPIP: 25, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 1.0, Hands: 8
CO: $6.30 - VPIP: 36, PFR: 29, 3B: 33, AF: 0.0, Hands: 14

So villains are presumed fish according to the stats over a small sample.

I treat the spewy min 3b from the CO as pretty weak so I 4b for value and to isolate the fishes.

Flop is ok. Obviously cbetting for value. Could probably size it a little bigger but in 3b pots i usually cbet smaller.

Turn gives us the NF draw and top pair so I shove (again for value) 2/3 pot.

Think I played it ok but open to other opinions.

Old
Sun Jul 14, 2013, 04:50 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi birdayy,

I actually don't like 4-betting preflop in this spot. Your reasons were for value and to isolate the fishes... first the isolation: They are all fishes it seems, and I would not expect to get too many folds, so we will generally be out of position in a 3 or 4 way pot with AQ high way too often with this line. I assume if you missed the flop you would check/fold multi-way, but if you've 4b pre sometimes we feel obligated to follow through with a bad c-bet. Now the value: It does seem there is some value preflop here, but it's fairly thin compared to the post flop value we have with this hand when we improve. These players will tend to make magnified post flop mistakes when we hit our hand, so I think there is more value in taking the cheaper flop, and building a big pot later when we do hit. They'll help build it when we want to. Against loose fish, we don't need to bloat the pot preflop to get this accomplished. I would generally only 4b big pairs here where I will be comfortable continuing to fire without having to hit my hand even multiway. I would have a pretty wide calling range preflop however, including hands as strong as AK, against loose villains that will make tons of post flop mistakes (which will be much bigger mistakes than the loose preflop call vs. AQ/AK).

Post flop play is all fine imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 15, 2013, 11:09 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
Hmmm ok. I thought AQ's value would become diluted if I were to take the flop multiway without the betting initiative. I'll consider overcalling in similar situations next time.

And yes, I would be c/f if I didn't flop a Q or A for the most part.

Old
Mon Jul 15, 2013, 03:08 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Having the betting initiative is very good for generating fold equity, but in this spot we have multiple fishy villains who don't like to fold, so a hammer them off their hands approach won't work well. A hammer them for value when we have the best hand approach works quite nicely though. We have a low chance to thin the field pre with a reraise, know we need to improve our hand to continue post flop, and expect little trouble getting action when we do improve... it all adds up to me liking a call better than a 4b here.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com