Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

My Bankroll Builder Promotion

Old
My Bankroll Builder Promotion - Mon Jul 15, 2013, 11:24 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2013
Hi

I want to participate in Bankroll Builder Promotion.

Old
Mon Jul 15, 2013, 11:54 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 15, 2013, 03:33 PM
(#3)
Hi flyingHigh77,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.
Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Hand Replay - Tue Jul 16, 2013, 03:16 PM
(#4)

Old
Tue Jul 16, 2013, 06:00 PM
(#5)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed and you have passed the basics quiz, I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 17, 2013, 12:49 AM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi flyingHigh77!

With KJs from the SB, I get a limp, then an abnormally large raise (a standard raise is to 3BB+1BB for each limper), then 3 calls of the raise. While KJs is a hand with potential, it's not strong enough to be in a large multi-way pot, especially out of position and due to this, I need to muck this preflop.

The SB is the worst position at the table and is the spot where I want to be playing the least number of hands. Playing non-premium cards from here is a big chip leak and I do not want to be giving my chips away to my opponents.

If I saw the flop (which I would NOT), when I see that I miss, I need to check and fold to any bet.

I want to be putting my chips into the pot when I'm ahead in the hand, not when I'm most likely crushed. Yes, any hand can get lucky, but playing bad hands, especially out of position will cause me to lose a very large amount of chips over time.. something that I do NOT want to do.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Passed The Basic Poker Course - Wed Jul 17, 2013, 01:59 PM
(#7)
Hi

I have passed the Basic Poker Course. Now What to do?

Old
Wed Jul 17, 2013, 05:11 PM
(#8)
Excellent!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks completed and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
1/2 cent replay - Thu Jul 18, 2013, 01:08 AM
(#9)

Guide me !!

Old
Thu Jul 18, 2013, 12:40 PM
(#10)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 18, 2013, 01:26 PM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi flyingHigh77! I'll take a look at the hand in post #9.

Just from my initial look at the hand, I can tell that you need to work on your bet-sizing, so watching or rewatching the video posted above is recommended.
KQo is a somewhat troublesome hand, but it's just about strong enough to play in the hijack (2 off the button). With any hand I enter the pot with, I'll come in for a raise. I don't like limping in, like you did, because it doesn't put any pressure on your opponents. You'll actually have to make a hand on the flop, and the big blind can even check his option and make a random hand that beats you. If you think you have the best hand, come in for a raise to 3bb to get some value and gain the initiative.
As played, the SB calls and the BB checks, so you see a 3-handed flop of JT9. Brilliant! You flopped the nuts. Now it's just a matter of getting value for your monster hand. Since this board contains a flush draw and various straight draws, you should be making large bets for value. A "large" bet is the size of the pot. There's only 6c in the pot here, and I would bet that amount. Note that if you'd raised pre-flop, the pot would be bigger so you could get even more value. Here you just minbet 2c. This is a mistake. You're missing value and are, in fact, giving a draw the right odds to call and try and suck out. That's exactly what happens here. The villain calls with his flush draw and you see an ace on the turn. You still have the nuts, but now there are two flush draws on the board. If villain has top pair or a draw, he's always calling. Betting 2c into 10c on the turn is terrible! You're basically saying "please suck out on me for a bargain price" and you're missing a whole lot of value. On the flop and turn, always bet between half pot and full pot for value.
The river comes another ace, so you no longer have the nuts. Villain could have made a flush or a full house. Here, you finally make a bigger bet, of 8c into 15c, but the problem is, you're not often going to get called by worse. Villain is only going to call with better hands. Do you see the problem here? You chose small bets when you were ahead, and then you bet big when you were behind! This is the opposite of what you should be doing. When you hold a monster hand, you should charge the draws, but when the draws get there on the river, you should bet smaller, or not bet at all. Since draws won't get there most of the time, you have to get your value on the flop and turn when they are still drawing.
Try and do this in future. Don't slowplay your big hands, or bet small, because it will lead you to getting sucked out on constantly. Force villains to make mistakes. Bet the most that you think a worse hand will call, so you get maximum value. If the obvious draw comes in, then don't pay off.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Thu Jul 18, 2013 at 01:28 PM..

Old
Fri Jul 19, 2013, 11:32 AM
(#12)
Hi flyingHigh77,
Please let know when you have passed the cash game course so we advance to the next step.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Answer to Question - Tue Jul 23, 2013, 02:27 PM
(#13)
Three reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

1. To gain value from very strong hands.
2. To protect against strong draws.
3. To put a lot of pressure on opponents.

Old
Passed The Cash Game Quiz - Tue Jul 23, 2013, 02:28 PM
(#14)
Hi

I have passed the Cash Game Quiz.

Thanks

Old
Tue Jul 23, 2013, 03:04 PM
(#15)
Hi flyingHigh77,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Hand Replay - Wed Jul 24, 2013, 02:31 PM
(#16)
Guide me.

Last edited by flyingHigh77; Wed Jul 24, 2013 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: Posted wrong hand.

Old
Wed Jul 24, 2013, 02:56 PM
(#17)
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 25, 2013, 12:12 PM
(#18)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingHigh77 View Post
Guide me.
Hi flyingHigh77!

AKs always makes for an interesting hand! AK is a strong starting hand, but we have to remember that it is not a made hand as a pocket pair is. We need to connect with the board at some point.

You definitely want to open with a raise preflop as you did here and your bet size was perfect.

The flop gives you a flush draw (9 outs), a straight draw with a 10 (3 outs) and two over cards that may be good if you get a K or A (6 possible outs). However, the Q and J are a heavy part of the villain's expected range. Did you have a read on the villain? Did he tend to bet with drawing hands or only with made hands like a pair or better? This would let us know how to proceed on the flop. You are getting good odds to call, but often raising is better. Calling is fine without a read though.

The turn is a bad card for you. Now you may be facing trip Js or even a full house. This threat makes chasing a flush or straight a bit tricky because even if you hit, you may end up with second best hand. Now we need to decide what we want to do for the rest of the hand. Since the villain bet the flop and now the turn, we can expect them to bet again on the river. If you were both deep AND you had a read demonstrating the villain to be aggressive, then we would have implied odds to call the turn. However, in this spot, you have no read AND you are both rather short stacked. The stack size is important because it limits the amount you can potentially win. We can't win enough to make calling the turn profitable. Therefore, I would fold to the turn bet.

As I said in the beginning, AK is a great starting hand, but at a cash table, we need to be able to fold it when our hand doesn't improve. Folding on the river was well done. You played the hand fine, but perhaps could have gotten away from it on the turn.

I couldn't see what the villain was holding. Any time they show their cards, make a note on them. You can use this info next time you are in a hand against them. If he showed a Q or J, then you know he was value betting. If he showed a smaller pair, AK or some other random bluff hand, then you can more comfortably be aggressive against them in the future. Making notes in spots like this is an important key to beating the 2NL tables.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com