Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Stakes hi or low?

Old
Lightbulb
Stakes hi or low? - Mon Jul 15, 2013, 04:16 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2013
Hi guys,

Really want some feed back on this one,
Does anybody else find that "If you player proper poker you will win in the long run" is less true at the lower stakes? (more so in tourneys)I find that all of the small buy in games are usually total donk fests try to play properly and just get crushed time and time again, and be no means am i implying that i always play perfectly, but the amount of times that I make the write play and loose is way more than when I make the wrong play and win lol.

the real question is should i expect players at the bigger buy-ins to at least start with the appropriate category hands at least 60% of the time? or do the also call with crap when the shouldn't.... for example I am on the button everyone folds I get an ok hand AsJs I have 15bb both small and big have about 20bb I push all in and small blind calls with Kh8S big blind goes all in with Ad7H flop the board runs A7882 no dimes ????
this just one of many times these happen so I am thinking of playing bigger buy ins less often like $30 stt instead of 1.50 and 3.50 which are not as bad as all of the small mtt I have been playing.

again I make bad plays often as well but usually it's bad timing with a shov and not calling off with crap.

what should i expect in the bigger games?
$30 stt
and maybe the hot $55 or the big $109?

played a few of the PSO open and total donk fest half the field busts out before the 3rd blind

Old
Mon Jul 15, 2013, 04:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2012
You will always run into donkeys even in the BIg 109 because of the satellites to them are easy to get. There will just be fewer of those players. But yes generally you won't see someone push 30bb with A4 off for no reason like in the open league.

Old
Mon Jul 15, 2013, 04:31 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I've run into the same type of play whether it's an online freeroll, all the way up to WSOP tourneys. Judging a game by the buy-in level is a mistake. You need to look at every opp individually and adjust from there.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 15, 2013, 06:33 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
The only difference between micro stakes and high stakes is the players skills and reading abilities.
There are always players who will play very loose at any stakes.
I could say that from my experience at higher stakes people are very tight at the early levels and more loose at mid-end levels.

Old
Mon Jul 15, 2013, 06:49 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Here's an example of one of mine... I was in a $340 WSOP Circuit event where everyone started with a 10k stack at 25/50 blinds. Eastern European sits down two seats to my right. Proceeds to play all 4 of the first four hands he's dealt and donks off the entire 10k. Most of the chips were on a hand where he showed 49 offsuit from UTG+1.

They're out there in every type of game.. online and live.. at every buy-in.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 15, 2013, 08:12 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2013
that's what i was afraid of but... but would agree that there may be less of them or would you say no difference?

Old
Mon Jul 15, 2013, 08:16 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ2007 View Post
that's what i was afraid of but... but would agree that there may be less of them or would you say no difference?
There may be one or 2 less.. but they will be there.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 15, 2013, 08:52 PM
(#8)
Since: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ2007 View Post
Yes there will be on average less of them but you need to be correctly bankrolled to play at the higher stakes. Because at the time you feel like using your poker skills playing say a $30 stt on that occasion... the table is full of them.

Then you think omg is that how people play at these stakes? No not all the time but you don't want to be there and it affects your own game with bad decisions.

Last edited by ForrestFive; Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 08:54 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com