Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder !!!

Old
Bankroll Builder !!! - Tue Jul 16, 2013, 01:06 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2013
Hello, im new to PokerSchoolOnline and i would like to be in the bankroll builder program

Last edited by day7k; Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 02:27 PM..

Old
Tue Jul 16, 2013, 02:50 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 17, 2013, 03:29 PM
(#3)
Hi day7k,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.
Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 17, 2013, 04:21 PM
(#4)

i raise preflop because i have ak in late position , then i bluff. is it okay to bluff when that much people involved in the pot?

Old
Wed Jul 17, 2013, 04:32 PM
(#5)
I've completed all 3 steps!!

Last edited by day7k; Wed Jul 17, 2013 at 05:47 PM..

Old
Thu Jul 18, 2013, 12:56 AM
(#6)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 18, 2013, 01:14 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi day7k!

The first thing that I see here is that whenever sitting down at a ring table, I ALWAYS wait for the BB in order to start playing. Paying extra blinds over and over is a huge drain to a player's bankroll and something that I do not want to do.

With AK from the cutoff, I get 4 limps (yes, the post counts as a limp), then an abnormally small raise (a standard raise is to 3BB+1BB for each limper) and a call of this raise. With an unmade hand (I only have ace high), I'm just going to call this bet and hope to see the flop. If I had a made hand (QQ, KK, AA), then I would make a standard raise, which is to between 3X the previous bet (360) and a pot-sized raise (470).

I see a 5-way flop that totally misses me. When it folds to me, due to the size of the pot, I have two options, to shove or check. I'm going to check here, as with this many opps someone could have easily hit the board or have a pocket pair.. which means I'm behind. With 4+ opps, a standard bet size here would need to be a pot-sized bet and I don't have this many chips. I cannot bet less than this, as I then could be making a bet where the opps expect to gain chips from my bet.. something I want to avoid.

The only way that I'm going to put another chip into this pot is if I see a free turn or river card that improves my hand. I do not want to just take a chance with a hand that could easily be behind. With the number of calling stations at the smaller stakes games, bluffing will normally be a play that I want to avoid doing, as someone will normally call... and make me lose a large number of chips in the process.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 18, 2013, 02:20 PM
(#8)
Excellent!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks completed and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 25, 2013, 12:02 PM
(#9)

im not sure i played this hand right...

thanks

Old
Thu Jul 25, 2013, 12:12 PM
(#10)
a player may make a big bet because
1)he wants to bluff opponents of decent hands
2)to gain value from strong hands
3)to protect against strong draws

Old
Thu Jul 25, 2013, 12:54 PM
(#11)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by HokyPokyToo; Thu Jul 25, 2013 at 01:08 PM..

Old
Thu Jul 25, 2013, 04:40 PM
(#12)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi day7k! I'll take a look at the hand in post #9.

In this hand, you have K7s in the cutoff, facing a limp by a player in MP. If I had a read on this player, and knew that he folded on the flop quite often, I'd make an isolation raise and follow it up with a continuation bet, but I'd mostly just fold pre-flop. K7s is not a great hand. Although it has flush potential, it can't make a straight using both cards. It's more likely to just make top pair, bad kicker. You can get into trouble with cards that don't connect well, so I'd avoid playing hands like K7, A9, Q9 and hands like that. As you did decide to raise, I think your size is a bit too small. A standard raise would be 3bb + 1bb for the limper, to make it 4bb or 8c. The problem with going with 6c is that the limper (and everyone behind you) has a good price to call.
As played, everyone folds apart from the limper, so you are at least in position and have the betting lead. That's until you see the flop. Villain makes the unconventional play of leading out with a donkbet, when it is more standard to check to the pre-flop raiser. On this 543 flop, you don't have much; just a gutshot and one overcard. Villain could be pretty weak here, with just a draw, or he could be super-strong with a set of trips, as it's very common to see players limp in with small pairs. I think I would sometimes call this donkbet, as it's fairly small, and you seem to have some outs if you're currently behind, but the only card I really want to see on the turn is a 6. You call and the turn is actually a king, so you made top pair. Villain continues his aggression, but it's a very small bet. Weak bets usually represent weak hands. Villain most likely just has a worse pair than a king, or a draw. Maybe he has a pair + draw combo, with something like 65 or A5 or A4. If villain had bet bigger, I would be inclined to just call, as you could be behind, but facing this small bet a raise is in order. If villain is on a draw, you don't want him to set a cheap price. Make him pay! Villain calls and the turn is a 9. When villain checks, it's usually because his draw missed. He won't be calling a bet with a missed draw or weak pair, expecially when you repped a king with your turn raise, so there's little point in betting the river. (Only make value-bets if you can get called by worse). You check behind and villain shows 65, which makes sense. He had top pair and an OESD on the flop. You probably could have got more value by making a larger raise on the turn, to deny him the right odds to keep chasing, but you also might have scared him off if you raised too big. Overall, I think your play was fine on later streets, but you need to be more careful earlier on. Since hands like K7 are difficult to play profitably, there's no harm in just folding pre.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 25, 2013, 06:37 PM
(#13)
Please let us know when you have passed your basicash quiz, so we may proceed to the next step!

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jul 27, 2013, 03:52 AM
(#14)
I have passed the basicash quiz and completed all 3 tasks!

Old
Sat Jul 27, 2013, 04:52 PM
(#15)
Hi day7k,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 30, 2013, 08:36 AM
(#16)
Heres is the hand i lost my bonus with:

I raised because villians were raising almost all the cards , and i called his big turn bet because it seemed like a bluff , same for river i dont think i could fold on the river after calling turn bet (bluff cathing)

Old
Tue Jul 30, 2013, 06:01 PM
(#17)

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 31, 2013, 04:12 AM
(#18)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by day7k View Post
Heres is the hand i lost my bonus with:

I raised because villians were raising almost all the cards , and i called his big turn bet because it seemed like a bluff , same for river i dont think i could fold on the river after calling turn bet (bluff cathing)
Hi day7k

Firstly, note that you are not supposed to be playing 6-Max tables, but rather sticking to 9 man Full Ring tables for this promotion. The reason for this is because 6-max is more aggressive and forces you to play a wider range of hands than at full ring. This is exactly what you are describing when saying that "villians were raising almost all cards"... Please stick to full ring in the future. It will make it easier for you to learn the fundamentals.

I suggest folding this hand preflop. KQs is a good starting hand and we can open with a raise if we are first to act. However, in this spot there are 3 points worth noting. Firstly, we are facing a larger than normal raise of 5bbs. This makes it too expensive to be calling. Secondly, we are in the blinds and will be out of position all hand. Bad position will make it much harder to win the hand. Finally, we have a limper yet to act. They may 3-bet preflop and force us to fold. We can call preflop raises with strong speculative hands such as KQs, but this was not the spot to do it.

As played, we flop top pair and the preflop limper makes a pot sized bet. This looks most like a flopped set or top pair hand that is afraid of the flush draw. Since the player was so passive preflop, it is unlikely that his flop bet is a bluff. I actually prefer folding here simply because we are going to have a tough time presumably on the remaining streets. Calling is understandable though.

On the turn, the villain fires a huge 1.5x pot sized bet. Again, this looks like a value bet trying to protect against a possible flush. You have top pair, but you do not have top kicker. Folding would have been best.

On the river you check and the villain moves all in. In general, I don't like calling off my entire stack with single pair hands (even overpairs). Moreover, the villain was passive preflop then fired big bets on every street. This is rarely going to be a bluff.

Learning when to let go of top pair hands takes time. In general, you need to build up your reads on the opponents so that you can put them on a smaller range of hands and better interpet their actions. We can sometimes call smaller, normal sized bets in unclear spots like this. However, when the villain is showing this much strength and betting so large it is usually best to fold the hand and wait for a better spot.

GL and have fun at the Full Ring tables

Roland GTX

Old
Wed Jul 31, 2013, 11:43 AM
(#19)
Hi day7k,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 31, 2013, 05:25 PM
(#20)
I've earned 10 VPPs! but i didnt get any automatic bonus

Last edited by day7k; Wed Jul 31, 2013 at 05:29 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com