Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL 6-max Zoom AKo

Old
2NL 6-max Zoom AKo - Wed Jul 17, 2013, 09:47 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi, villain is playing 29/0/0 AF=12 on only 14 hands.
Not enough data to have a conclusion on his style, but it seems that the hands I've got on him, he'd played them aggressively.
Should I be scared of a set here ?
I decided to call him down because his bets were small, but if they were more signifcantly, should I call him down ?

Thanks

Old
Wed Jul 17, 2013, 11:48 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2012
Hi

Although I do not like getting min check raised on a dry board BB vs UTG, this is 2NL so for that sizing you should never fold. At 2NL 9/10 times the bet size is the best indicator of villain's hand strength so if he is betting small he is most likely weak. We also have to keep in mind that inexperienced players tend to overvalue their hand enormously when they hit top pair with an ace.

For this reason I like a raise OTR. His 25% scared value bet means that he normally does not have anything better than 1 pair - usually a weak ace. Sometimes he will do this value bet with flopped 2 pair like 83 or A3 but it is fairly unlikely. If we know something about villains at 2NL it is that they absolutely hate bet folding so with out TPTK we could go for some thin river value. I am 100% sure we have the best hand OTR more than 50% of the time and almost 100% sure that if we make a small raise to about $0.60 he is not folding any ace (because that's what weak players at 2NL do - they never fold TP no matter how weak relative to our hand strength it is. Just from seeing the line he took I am instantly labeling him as weak without having to play a single hand with him before and without seeing the showdown) However, this is something I would only advice to do at 2NL, at higher stakes do it only against confirmed (meaning that you have seen him bet and pay off very light before) bad players. Otherwise, for this sizing just call both turn and river/fold river for more than 60-70% bet on that card. Against some villains though you can easily fold right OTF without feeling too bad. That is why having some kind of a read is more important than you would think

Last edited by TommyGun369; Wed Jul 17, 2013 at 11:52 AM..

Old
Wed Jul 17, 2013, 12:26 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
In my opinion either shove turn, or raise a big amount to make villain call a shove on any river.
That way you are extracting maximum value from AQ AJ.
If he had a set he would have bet more on turn so I don't think it's possible unless, he had the remaining two aces on the deck (higly unlikely).

Last edited by GamblingProp; Wed Jul 17, 2013 at 12:31 PM..

Old
Thu Jul 18, 2013, 01:05 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi fp,

The villain seems passive preflop... while the AF is high it's largely irrelevant as he's only played 4 hands voluntarily (and all just calling pre).

I agree with Tommy, the bet sizings would never have me fearing a set, small turn bet and even smaller river bet and I think we're good here almost always.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com