Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Support Center /

Play Money - An Opinion

Old
Play Money - An Opinion - Wed Jul 17, 2013, 12:25 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Once Black Friday hit the American contingent and forced us to the play money side, things deteriorated fast. Some of us stayed, most likely anticipating a quick return or just wishing to maintain some sharpness.

Then the site changed. Most times, change is good. This time, the people in PokerStar's Board Room goofed, big time. Yet I can understand the changes.

Anyone who has a Facebook account has seen the advertisements for the many poker sites accessible via Facebook. All of them share two characteristics. They give away chips like candy. I played on one site for just ten minutes a day for a week and they gave me over $25 million in chips. That leads to the second common denominator, an all-in shovefest pre flop. It isn't poker, it is a lottery where luck rules.

No doubt their popularity has led this site to the recent changes. Of all the SNG games offered, only two have more than nine players and are not turbo. Both are at the lowest level, which allows players to get back into the game via reloads.

If you include the 9-player games, the pool expands to 45 games. Again, most at the lower level. As to game selection, you have three choices, Hold'em - Omaha - Omaha high/low. The most popular games are offered.

It appears the site is catering to the fast and furious mode and has abandoned the more traditional SNG games. If you think there are choices in the tournament section, you would be wrong. There are a total of ten tournaments, eight with a fee of 500K or more. Just one game is regular speed, everything else is turbo or hyper turbo.

My opinion, which I know the Board of Directors could care less about, is that they made a bad decision. Moving your product to replicate the Facebook sites might win you more players, but it removes what makes this place better. Though many in the play money side do not respect the game, there are enough serious players. Sadly, we are being shoved aside.

Thank goodness the home games still offer a refreshing challenge and with players that take the game serious. Looks like the old hedgehog will be spending more time reading, writing and walking than ever. Until Americans are welcomed back, the site has done everything possible to discourage the casual, but serious player.

Old
Tue Jul 23, 2013, 01:14 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2012
I agree completely being a long time play money player here. I remember when there was just a couple play money tournaments each day. They kept improving all of the time with the variety of games and the buy in selections but they took it too far with these new changes. I sent you a pm about it though Cairn let me know what you think.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com