Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

You've gotta be kidding...right??

Old
You've gotta be kidding...right?? - Wed Jul 17, 2013, 05:26 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2011
I figure this may not be as bad... as others, but for real.....you gotta be kidding ...right?

FOR REAL???????????

Last edited by Mr. rayzor; Wed Jul 17, 2013 at 06:54 PM..

Old
Wed Jul 17, 2013, 05:28 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
Cant see the hand.

That is a bad beat.

Old
Wed Jul 17, 2013, 07:19 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2012
It is unlucky but the villain did have a combo draw on the flop I suppose. You're bet sizing was really nice though imo and the villain did play the hand badly I think. Especially his turn call, he's not getting quite the right price and with his stack size he should be giving up really. I think he should have tried to get it in on the flop if I'm honest.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 17, 2013, 07:24 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadyen View Post
I think he should have tried to get it in on the flop if I'm honest.
+1

If I'm the opp, I'm getting it in on the flop every time there.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 18, 2013, 11:14 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Hey rayzor,

is a playable hand deepstacked on the button. As Fadyen said once the flop came out the villain had a lot of outs.

At microstakes level especially most villains will see you to a showdown with a board like that and holding that hand.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 18, 2013, 12:06 PM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
That's not a bad beat...

Old
Thu Jul 18, 2013, 06:13 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2011
Your river bet is poor your never folding when he shove for the other 0.30 so you might as well value bet the rest of his stack for the times he calls you off with worse hands which will be more than the times he calls with the better hand. You dont want to miss the value it will add up in the long run

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 18, 2013, 07:56 PM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Suit10 View Post
Your river bet is poor your never folding when he shove for the other 0.30 so you might as well value bet the rest of his stack for the times he calls you off with worse hands which will be more than the times he calls with the better hand. You dont want to miss the value it will add up in the long run

THIS ^^^^

You're priced in to call the river anyway,so check/calling or making a weak little bet like this is really rather pointless. At 2NL there are plenty of players who will call off that last $0.41 that he had left in his stack with hands that you beat,so you may as well get all the value you can the times that you're the better hand. I'm not sure that you'll get called more often with worse than you will with hands that beat you...but if you're only extracting an extra .10 on the river as you attempted to do here,and are paying off 4 times that when you're beat...well I think you can easily see that this is a bad exchange rate,right?

Besides that...well it's not a Bad Beat really,more like really badly played by the villain. At 2NL a lot of players are going to play this pretty much as the villain did here...textbook Calling Station,the whole way. They aren't going to shove the flop most of them (I would have come right over top in this spot myself) and are perfect targets to value bet. Hopefully you noted this player so you can exploit them in this way as much as possible. Trust me...this suck out makes them MORE inclined to play the hand the same way in the future. You do the same (except for the weakness on the river) and they're going to pay you off more often than not.

Old
Thu Jul 18, 2013, 09:23 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Maybe the bad beat part was that he needed a ten or a club on the river to win, and he hit both.

Seriously though, good advice here about the villain semi-bluffing the flop and getting it in there, and on the river bet sizing, he will just call with worse hands like KQ so if you win you get .10c and if you're beat you lose .41c... might as well take all .41c when you still have the best hand.

This is not a bad beat. As yourself how YOU would have played Q9s in the villain's shoes? Fold preflop? Or facing a raise and flat caller, might you call on the button? Would you fold on the flop? I certainly hope not, you're an equity favorite over some of the preflop raisers range with the combo draw. Against the actual AA he's only a 54-46 dog on the flop with 2 cards to come. That's like taking AK up against QQ all in pre, a slight dog but not a bad beat.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Cool
Thu Jul 18, 2013, 09:33 PM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2011
thanks guys for showing me different angles of this hand.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com