Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

A rather different type of challenge... can a leopard change it's spots?

Old
A rather different type of challenge... can a leopard change it's spots? - Thu Jul 18, 2013, 11:59 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2007
Hello PSOers,

Some of you may know me or know of me some of you may not.

If you look at my profile you will see that I was formerly a prolific PSO poster, now much like my poker game it is a now and then thing, although I still read the forum quite a bit.

Last year, exactly to the day I had a rather serious accident, which resulted in a return to hospital this week and the receipt of three jam jars of various nuts and bolts that were removed from my anatomy. It will take another six weeks to fully recover and this is where my poker challenge comes in.

My poker play is definitely unconventional and unfortunately a losing proposition. I can win 20 buy ins at 2NL Zoom (after a night out) by doubling my money, closing the table and rinsing and repeating, but as the night wears on I am playing 25 or 50 NL and then as my bankroll plummets back at 5NL and 2NL. This "strategy" if you can call it that, ensured that I recently went from 3 figures to 4 figures and then busto.

So I have deposited 20$ and it is now down to $6.98!!

My goal is simple: play 2NL 6max (completely sober) from now until Monday the 29th July and try and build a roll of $80.

That may not sound like much but I will be doing this from my Ipad initially because my new (six month old) laptop is still in its box and I need to set it up if I want to run a HUD.

Unfortunately I lack patience and discipline, I have little focus or concentration, and I am the world's worst procrastinator. These are hardly the traits of a winning poker player but I hope to overcome these innate flaws and demonstrate that if I can win at poker anyone can.

Even if I have lost my small bankroll by the 29th July I am willing to make a last deposit of 80$ and try and emulate Felix's challenge of reaching 10,000$. If I go bust I will just accept that I cannot play poker, if I can become even a marginal winner I will have proved something to myself.

My next task is to start studying, post some questions, get the whole IT setup going, decide what my approach will be from a poker prospective and see if I can move onto winning ways before the real challenge begins on the 29th July.

Wish me luck, I will need it

Cheers,

TC

Old
Thu Jul 18, 2013, 12:24 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
Good luck, Good luck.
May the +EV force be with you.

Old
Thu Jul 18, 2013, 01:24 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2010
I do hear you topthecat

Some of us lack the genes that the likes of Sandtrap/Marvin and many other good PSOers have for both taking in the great information that Dave/Felix/Arty/Gareth/Chewey/Andy et al give us - and in the case of myself I have usually forgotten it very shortly after. In that case the best way I find is to keep constantly hitting the classes/videos and keep constantly reviewing my play.

Giving yourself a challenge like this helps concentrate the mind and should be a bonus tool to getting back to winning ways - I wish you luck - but I don't doubt that with application you can be a winning player.

Hope you are fully recovered from the mash up and as Bill always tells me - try to win - but make sure you enjoy your poker.

Good luck bud.

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 18, 2013, 01:36 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Good luck Top,

The mistake that most players face is the $$$$
When playing 2NL, It's usually no big deal losing $2, or $4
When that happens, we tend to increase our hand selection, play out of position, can't fold and try to profit from a gamble. I know, I've been there and done that.

If we can picture that a $0.23 profit at 2NL represents 10% gain, it's more than what an investor will do in a day on the stock market...lol. In poker terms, if you look at the BB/100 and you are above 5BB/100, you are better than probably 95% of all players.

Same applies when you reach 5NL etc etc

Baby steps.............LOL

Old
Fri Jul 19, 2013, 10:34 AM
(#5)
Since: Dec 2011
Good luck with your poker play and your recovery. Don't ever play under influence of any substance, alcohol, too much coffee, 'Amsterdam cigarettes' (he he). Maybe a good idea to read Artysmoke's blog on 2nl a couple of times before sitting down.

Time Vault Champion 2013

Old
Fri Jul 19, 2013, 10:48 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Hey Top,

I didn't know about the accident, hospitals are a horrible place

Wishing you a very speedy recovery and a lot of run-good at the tables.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 19, 2013, 11:08 AM
(#7)
Since: Apr 2011
Good luck.

Look forward to seeing updates.

Old
Fri Jul 19, 2013, 11:49 AM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2010
Wishing you all the best and luck in you poker grind and have a speedy recovery.

PH

Old
Fri Jul 19, 2013, 12:55 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Best of luck top with both the poker challenge and the recovery. You can do it!!!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 19, 2013, 08:33 PM
(#10)
Thanks so much everyone for the replies. My start for this challenge was an extremely tentative one that began at 6max Zoom cash at 15.30 German time. Ever mindful of the excellent advice that Sandtrap gives I won a hand that got me to $2.60. I must admit that I was so scared and my bankroll is so low that I wanted to leave right away but decided to click the sit out next BB button.

I ended up calling a min bet on the button on the next hand withe A10s and called down small bets on every street with the nut flush draw on the turn, and even called a small river bet with top pair 10 kicker to lose to AQ.

I did not feel it was a bad play but a bit over optimistic for the river call. The very next hand I got dealt the following cards and I immediately thought of Ed and his reference to his friend Bill, who I am sure is not the Bill from Bill and Ted, but who might love AA and this hand:

So I hit fold the next BB hand again and walked away with a nice profit.

I really cannot describe how much fear gripped me playing just 13 hands on Zoom, not because of the money, but because I was playing without the crutch of a beer at my hand, and my decisions were mine not the guy who starts off slightly drunk and wins and then proceeds to loose all he has won plus some more besides.

I went to my old PC to retrieve the hands (my new PC is still in the box but I had a lot on this morning) and the first thing I saw was a privelege freeroll starting at 4pm. I never play these games but decided to register as I qualified for it. I made it past the first break and just quadrupled up to a huge stack before my good lady walked in the door telling me we were going out for dinner and gin tasting organised by two of my friends; I love gin, it is both my mistress and my master so I had to leave the game to get ready which in my physical state takes quite a while.

So I won 84 cents in the freeroll and my bankroll stands at an impressive $9.54. After quite a few beer and gins and just arriving home my normal MO would be to play now; I would probably win but a few hours from now I would start chasing and losing just as Sandtrap says. I am so so tempted to play, loose and free from all inhibitions, maniacal wide range, hoovering up the scared money. The fact is that it is a losing proposition and I am not going to play, I am going to bed, happy with a37% increase in my roll. This for me is the keystone of my challenge.

The weekend leaves little opportunity for poker, we go away early tomorrow with a few friends and return late on Sunday. Although the Ipad is with me, I see no time for playing poker; perhaps these are some of the paradoxes I will explore when I get round to doing my blog.

All I can say now is a 37% gain in my bankroll is as Sandtrap says more than some will make speculating in the financial markets. It has been a good day

Cheers

TC

Old
Sat Jul 20, 2013, 03:05 PM
(#11)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hey Top!! So great to see you back at the tables and posting again!!

I remember you mentioning the accident - wow, didn't realize it was *that* serious :o, and that there'd be follow-up stuff with an extended recovery - hopefully this means you're on the mend, and getting better and stronger with passing time?

Had to LOL at this part of your o/p because I soooo relate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
I lack patience and discipline, I have little focus or concentration
Well there's no doubt that you play fantastic - and that's the part most people struggle with. But yeah, so many of us seem to struggle with those other aspects of the game too. There's probably answer's out there on the internet for how to make improvements in these areas ... if only I could concentrate on looking for them

Looks like you're off to a fantastic start on several levels - game-wise, being in optimal form when you play, etc. A couple more days like today, and you'll be at your goal before you know it!!

Best of luck on your challenge!! Am looking forward to following your progress!!

Last edited by TrustySam; Sat Jul 20, 2013 at 03:09 PM..

Old
Sat Jul 20, 2013, 03:10 PM
(#12)
Since: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
Good luck Top,

The mistake that most players face is the $$$$
When playing 2NL, It's usually no big deal losing $2, or $4
When that happens, we tend to increase our hand selection, play out of position, can't fold and try to profit from a gamble. I know, I've been there and done that.

If we can picture that a $0.23 profit at 2NL represents 10% gain, it's more than what an investor will do in a day on the stock market...lol. In poker terms, if you look at the BB/100 and you are above 5BB/100, you are better than probably 95% of all players.

Same applies when you reach 5NL etc etc

Baby steps.............LOL
Now why cant i think like that when i play im always trying to out play bad players when im not getting the cards so i can move up stakes. Unfortunately for me im getting bad a=cards and getting looked up when im bluffing so my break even point/ pennys profit has turned into a loss.

Good luck topcat

Old
Wed Jul 24, 2013, 10:07 AM
(#13)
Thanks for the responses everyone I have no huge updates at the moment because I underestimated how little time I would have running to rehab and doctors etc. It has meant that I have not played at all since. Playing today is also unlikely as I had some sort of anesthetic this morning where I was put to sleep for a few hours. I do not feel too bad but I was told not to drive today so I will assume poker is out of the picture as well. I might play a freeroll or something but nothing else.

Hopefully I will be free tomorrow after lunch and can really start trying to get my bankroll moving in a positive direction. Whatever happens between now and August 1st I will start with 80$ and try and follow in Felix's footsteps although I will be a long way behind and can only play one table at a time.

I changed it to 1st August since I will be able to take advantage of the privilege freerolls with my deposit and I am certainly not playing enough at the moment to make chrome star this month.

Sorry for the slow start but by next week I will have nothing only physio in the mornings and I can allocate some real time to poker. Later on I hope to get the blog up and running too.

As Sandtrap says baby steps, in my case the baby has very short legs... LOL

Cheers,

TC

Old
Wed Jul 24, 2013, 11:04 AM
(#14)
Get well soon topthecat.

Good decision to move it by Aug as your in better state of health by that time.

Poker will go nowhere.

Godspeed.

PH

Old
Fri Jul 26, 2013, 06:42 AM
(#15)
Thanks Pinoy,

No exciting news apart from the fact that my bankroll is moving in the right direction. I played a 25 cent game and reloaded a few times in the privilege freerolls which was a bit stupid to be honest and have played some zoom play money to warm up. I think these are quite similar to 2nl and thankfully all my run bad seems to be in these games.

Unfortunately no progress on setting up the pc or getting a trial for Holdem Manager and this is my main priority for the weekend. I have been pondering whether to try and reach $100 playing only 2nl zoom and not make a deposit although I feel this could be beyond me, and even if I could do it, it would take quite some time. The positive aspect is that if I really could win at 2nl to this extent, I can always rebuild my bankroll if I did not succeed as the levels got higher. I will make a firm decision on the 1st August in this regard.

It is difficult to quantify my play without a HUD but I know I am limping too often with speculative hands, playing too many hands generally and I do not really have the post flop skills to justify this approach. My biggest failing however is simply not playing enough. I get extremely nervous and actually making the effort of just playing is the biggest hurdle I face. On a more positive note I have been out a few times this week and resisted the attraction of playing with a few beer taken quite easily and that actually demonstrates that I can at least be disciplined in that respect if I really want to be.

I have also been keeping up with threads on the forum and trying to learn as much as possible from the experience of others; I would just like to wish everyone taking part in any challenge all the very best in their endeavours and hopefully as I improve I can provide some input myself. Oh and I attended live training twice so it is all in all glass half full rather than half empty.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Fri Jul 26, 2013, 07:02 AM
(#16)
Since: Dec 2010
Hey Topthecat,

I hope it all goes well for you and your health improves.

My cash game is not real flash so i have no advice on that.

Best of luck.

Chuckkky

Old
Fri Jul 26, 2013, 07:09 AM
(#17)
Cheers Chuckkky,

I have saw you on the tables a few times in the past. I always tried to avoid playing hands with you so my estimation of your game is quite high

TC

Old
Fri Jul 26, 2013, 08:58 AM
(#18)
topthecat, don't rebuy on 100K freeroll as u need to run deep into that tourney to recover with 1 rebuy+ add-on.
Play it as total freeroll as you can play it several time each day.

Good Luck

PH

Old
Fri Jul 26, 2013, 09:14 AM
(#19)
Thanks PH,

I eventually worked that one out

TC

Old
Thu Aug 01, 2013, 02:47 PM
(#20)
For medical reasons I unfortunately have to postpone this until September. I will play some freerolls but playing for money would be absurd when I am taking more medicine than most pharmacists stock. I actually think I am more prone to making bad poker decisions than I would be with beer and off course beer is off the agenda too:-(

I hope to return in September with a now super pc and Holdem manager plus a decent roll.

I will still be on the forum from time to time and throwing my oar in where I see fit.

Thanks

TC

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com