Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Cashing the MicroMillions HyperTurbo Satellites

Old
Lightbulb
Cashing the MicroMillions HyperTurbo Satellites - Thu Jul 18, 2013, 06:36 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2012
So here's the plan:

Play some of the smallest buy in MicroMillions 6-man hyperturbo satellites until MM is over. I'm hoping to get in at least 50-100 satellites per day most weekdays and.. well.. more on the weekends.

If this goes well I might write up a blog with some strategy if there's some interest. It's nothing that isn't available elsewhere on the net, but it's always fun to share when you can.

Cheated a bit and started yesterday, here are the results so far:

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 19, 2013, 02:57 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
waesome start man best of luck

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 19, 2013, 08:00 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2012
I played a couple of these yesterday but to actually satty into events, they seemed quite soft even if a little crazy. Not playing any events today so I might see you in a few of these later. Good luck!

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 19, 2013, 12:37 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2013
Do you play FPP Satellite?

Old
Fri Jul 19, 2013, 01:35 PM
(#5)
Update: Day 2.

Played 100 satellites, don't think I'll do more than that per day. Today was pretty swingy, lots and lots of people sucking out on me. It really takes some emotional strength to not tilt when you've busted a handful of these in a row because of your higher aces getting sucked out on and your pocket pairs not holding. Trying to think of it as training in not tilting.
Oh well, I didn't lose more than I made so far, so that's always something.

Todays results:

Total so far:

(Click images for full size versions.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adohole View Post
waesome start man best of luck
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadyen View Post
I played a couple of these yesterday but to actually satty into events, they seemed quite soft even if a little crazy. Not playing any events today so I might see you in a few of these later. Good luck!
They are pretty soft if you avoid messing with the regs too much. Also, variance is a cruel mistress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbosbiz View Post
Do you play FPP Satellite?
No, only cash satellites for this challenge.

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by butchsd; Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: Mistakenly included some other tourneys in one of the graphs

Old
Fri Jul 19, 2013, 01:45 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
I salute you for sticking with these. Variance like that would drive me insane.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jul 20, 2013, 02:42 PM
(#7)
Update: Day 3.

Mistakenly regged for 102 satellites today, but I broke even over the last couple, so it's ok. The $0.35 satellites were available all day today (they weren't yesterday), so I stuck to them with one exception where I misclick regged for an $0.76, which I took down. Worse things have happened.

I certainly feel like I have an enormous skill advantage over most of the players in these satellites. You see a lot of players just shove any suited or face card in the first level (for people not in the know: First level is blinds at 25/50 with ante 10, 500 starting chips, 3 minute levels), so playing tight the first level is extremely profitable. I think I even took down a couple of these today by not playing a single hand, just letting the maniacs go at it. (WTH is ICM, right?)

Todays results:

Total so far:

Hands of interest:

Card dead, but still took down 2nd for a ticket.

Sometimes you just can't catch a break.

Glove saaaave by the swede.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
I salute you for sticking with these. Variance like that would drive me insane.
Sure, these are pretty swingy, and you get sucked out on, all the time, but they are still pretty soft.

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by butchsd; Sat Jul 20, 2013 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: Speeling

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 10:29 AM
(#8)
Since: Apr 2012
I only managed to play a few of these but still made about 7 bucks, that's some MM buy-ins sorted. They are super soft. Some guys just open shoving raggy kings first hand and other just blinding themselves out, it's awesome. And I agree with Arty, good on you for sticking with them because the variance can be super crazy.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 02:45 PM
(#9)
Update: Day 4.

Today was pretty... Bad beaty. Yeah, that's probably... a word. The usual crazy shovefest, but sadly I was on the wrong end of the variance for most of the day. Happy with my play in most of them, made some mistakes here and there, but mostly just being on the wrong end of the villains shoving ranges. That's poker for ya.

Todays results:

Total so far:

Hands of interest:

The usual bad beats: 1 2 3 4

Sometimes there's just no winner.

A pretty horrible suckout of my own. Almost felt bad for the guy/girl... Almost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadyen View Post
I only managed to play a few of these but still made about 7 bucks, that's some MM buy-ins sorted. They are super soft. Some guys just open shoving raggy kings first hand and other just blinding themselves out, it's awesome. And I agree with Arty, good on you for sticking with them because the variance can be super crazy.
What is this "variance" you speak of?
I have no problem with the maniacs (unless I have a legit hand and they do the usual suckout), you gotta play it tight to the vest, use your position and take some notes on who the fish are so you can exploit them. Still gotta have the deck on your side though, sometimes you got to shove to preserve your stack and being card dead is only an excuse for so long.

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 02:29 PM
(#10)
Update: Day 5.

Sorry guys, no poker for me today. Just pulled an 11 hour work day at the office, so I'm taking the night off. It's crunch time this week at the office, so I'm hoping it won't be another 11 hour work day tomorrow. I'm not going to play these unless I feel fresh in the noggin.

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 23, 2013, 04:59 PM
(#11)
Update: Day 6.

The amount of bad beats today reminded me a lot of day 2. Sooo many bad beats. There's a couple of them at the bottom of this post to check out if you feel like it. The $0.35 sattys only became available towards the end of the session, so I only played a couple of them. The $0.76 ones were filling very fast, so I didn't really see a reason to switch. Maybe it's just stubbornness.

I'm starting to realize that, while I'm not massively in the green, this challenge has been very good for shaping my mindset about variance. I used to be good at not tilting when I got coolered or had a couple of bad beats in a row, but with the variance these games provide, I'm finding myself becoming desensitized about variance and bad beats in a way I didn't see coming. Just a casual observation. Hope I didn't jinx it and go on a tilt binge tomorrow.

Todays results:

Total so far:

Hands of interest:

The usual bad beats: Had a couple of particularly standard bad beats with pocket Kahns: 1 2.

Variance in my favor for a change. (You only remember the hands you lose... Unless you boom a few good ones.)

Your run of the mill quads brag.

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 24, 2013, 06:49 PM
(#12)
Update: Day 7.

Ugh. So. Many. Suckouts. Had a two suckout fueled downswings, one 10 tourney streak and one 13 tourney streak. Luckily the first streak only consisted of $0.35 games, otherwise it would have been bad. The second streak can be seen quite clearly in today's graph. This was luckily followed by a nice heater to make up for the losses.

I accidentally ran over the midnight mark, so a few of the last tourneys i played aren't included in the images below, they will be included in tomorrows post. Time flies when you're on a heater.

Interesting hands:

I'll start off with a few of the memorable hands that I somehow managed to win, most of the time despite being behind preflop.
1. Hmm, a shovable hand. Yeah. *Shove*. Oh crap.
2. Standard heater hand. When you're running good, you're running really good.
3. Your run of the mill quads brag.

Not that many memorable bad beats, they were all pretty standard.
1. This one sticks out like a sore thumb though.

Todays results:
(Click images for larger versions.)

Total so far:

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 25, 2013, 04:45 PM
(#13)
Update: Day 7.

Todays session had to be cut a bit short, so only played 50 sattys. The heater from last night ran over to today by 2 tourneys, but I started off this session with some rungood, so that's a nice start to the poker day. It wasn't as swingy as yesterday, but still had a couple of dry streaks. Still, I made a small profit, so I'm not unhappy. You can't be too results oriented with these or it'll drive you crazy. I made some good decisions, and that's what counts.

I'm still working on finding the right aggression spots in the mid parts of the sattys. I find myself short pretty often, so I need to adjust my ranges somewhat. Having notes and color coding for the recurring fish is very essential. Even a simple note like "6max hyper satty fish" can be enough if you have a good color coding system. It's a large part of what gave me a large upswing at the end of yesterdays session, i had a handful of fish who would register to a lot of these and misplay them pretty massively.

Interesting hands:

I've reworked this section a bit. Please give feedback on if you like it or not, and give some feedback on the hands if you feel like it. Doesn't have to be a short story, just a small comment will do.

1. Bink with 77 5 handed.
I really don't see the need for the 4-seat to shove there UTG. Just fold, dude. But hey, if he wants to give his chips away, who am I to say no, right?

2. JQs in BB 3 handed.
Not sure I like my call here. I'm not extremely shallow, so it's a tough spot, but I think I'm not that far ahead of villains range. I think I'd rather fold and wait for a better spot.

3. A9o in BB 3 handed.
You have to win the flips. Sometimes lady luck just isn't paying any attention to your "One time, come on!" prayers. I think I'm miles ahead of villains shoving range here, so it's a standard call.

4. KQs in SB 3 handed.
I'm conflicted about this one. I'm miles ahead of the big blinds calling range, but the button is so short that he's gonna be put all in on the next hand. On the other hand, should the 4-seat win the flip, I'm as good as dead. So... yeah. Thoughts?

5. TT in SB 6 handed.
This is a standard spot, even 6 handed, but coolers be coolering. A double one at that. Just brutal.

6. Q2s in SB 3 handed.
I think I'm good here most of the time preflop. I don't expect this particular villain to be calling off too light, so it's really just a steal. Still, I have at least some equity should he wake up with a hand. Turns out I'm pretty much dead preflop, but (spoiler) it turns out okay.

Todays results:

Total so far:

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by butchsd; Thu Jul 25, 2013 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: Speeling

Old
Fri Jul 26, 2013, 01:41 PM
(#14)
Update: Day 8.

No poker today. I pulled a long session of office work instead. Time for me to get my drink on.

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jul 27, 2013, 05:43 PM
(#15)
Update: Day 9.

Played 75 sattys today. Overall the day was pretty uneventful. A couple of ups and downs, but the variance god decided today was a good day to stick to a slightly upwards trend. I've been tweaking my ranges a bit and I think I've started to find a good sweet spot here and there.

It might be variance, but I've been noticing that there's a small skill difference between the villains in the $0.35 and $0.76 games, believe it or not. It's not a very big one, but people who make the final 3 or 4 in the $0.76 tend to make more ICM correct plays. There's also obviously a few less shove-any-two type fish and more familiar faces, so it's to be expected I guess.

Interesting hands:

Feel free to give feedback on any of the hands, I value good critique tremendously.

1. KJo in hi-jack 6 handed.
I'm a bit conflicted about this hand. It's a standard shove from the button and cut-off, but I'm debating what my stack size should be in order to exclude it from my hi-jack range. Had I been somewhere $1100+ deep here it would have been a fold, considering the rest of the tables stack sizes.

2. A7o in SB 4 handed.
A standard shove and a standard cooler. Not much to discuss. You gotta be happy with being ahead of the villains range. This particular villain was very loose, so I was massively ahead. Still, even a blind fish finds a hook once in a while. Did that make sense? Sure. Almost. Right? Yeah.

3. J2s in BB 3 handed.
Amazingly, not every action hand goes to showdown. This is one of the times where notes and color coding helps massively. I had a note that this villain had at least a basic grasp of ICM, and made a wager that he wouldn't be willing to stack off lightly. Not a standard play by any means, but I think it's the correct one since the blinds increase very fast in these. You have to exploit every edge you can get.

4. K7s in BB 5 handed.
"Man, why can't I ever win a hand. This only happens to me. Whine, whine, whine." That's probably what I would have expressed if I was bitter about this hand, but I'm not. Seriously. They can't all be winners.

Todays results:

Total so far:

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by butchsd; Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 07:52 PM..

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2013, 03:49 PM
(#16)
Update: Day 10, the final day.

Today was the final day of this challenge. I had some stuff to take care of, so I only had time to do 53 satellites today. The $0.76 sattys were only available in the beginning, so I mixed in some $1.15 ones. Look at the bottom of this post for some postmortem stuff.

Interesting hands:

Feel free to give feedback on any of the hands, I value good critique tremendously.

1. Q2o on BTN 6 handed.
I don't dislike this play. The villains are so short that their calling ranges are way worse, and I'm not risking so much of my stack that I'll be too short to wait a couple of hands to chip up if I lose.

2. K8o in BB 3 handed.
Villain is short enough that I think his range is extremely wide here. With K8o I'm calling here every time, this time I just got unlucky. I would maybe fold if I had something like ten rag OS here, otherwise I'll be just too short to look for a better spot.

3. 33 UTG 6 handed.
This is a standard shove at this blind level. I'm too short to wait for a better hand, so flipping against one or two villains with overcards is a risk I'm willing to take.

4. A8o in BB 6 handed
Had we both had ~$600 stacks here, it'd probably be a fold, but since I'm short I think this is a pretty standard call. I'm probably not going to get a better hand in about an orbit, so I think this is fine.

Todays results:

Grand total:

Postmortem:

I paid $466.97 in buy ins. I won $27.97 over 30.82 hours of play for a profit $0.91 per hour. This number accounts for multi tabling, so only playing one or two tables will decrease the profit/hour, assuming you're still an equally winning player when you play more than that.

According to PT4 I was ITM 54.88%. Note that ITM means top 3 in these, where third gets a small percentage of the buy in back and top two get tickets. I only placed top two roughly 37%. Since 2 out of 6 entrants get tickets, that would mean that I'd need to be top two roughly 34% to break even if you account for rake, 37% means I'm beating these games with a small margin. I'm happy with this, but had I played better earlier in the challenge, this number would likely be slightly higher.

During the 769 games I played, I made 67.54 VPPs as a chrome star. That's 2.2 VPPs per hour which is low if you compare to what I usually make playing regular cash games.

All things accounted for, it was a really fun to do this as a challenge, but I'm not planning on continuing playing cash hyperturbo satellites to make money. There are better ways to do that. I however think that it's an excellent way to spend your VPPs when you have accumulated some.

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Nov 04, 2013, 12:42 PM
(#17)
Since: Oct 2013
Great read, I'm going to play the $0.02 Hypers and learn to accept and embrace variance!

Old
Tue Nov 05, 2013, 07:50 PM
(#18)
Good luck!

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Nov 05, 2013, 08:31 PM
(#19)
Since: Sep 2010
I've really enjoyed reading this - great reporting!

I guess it just shows how small your skill advantage is in such a high variance format. You'll probably only start to see a significant indicator of your ability after 500K tournaments or something crazy like that!

Old
Tue Nov 05, 2013, 10:28 PM
(#20)
Since: Apr 2013
interesting info for sure thanx for sharing

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com