Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

deepstack (5000 chip) mtts

Old
deepstack (5000 chip) mtts - Fri Jul 19, 2013, 05:56 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Hey all...I'm going to be playing in some deepstack tourneys on another site. they all have 10 or 12 minute blinds, and the buyins are between $10 and $30. in a structure like this, what would u say ur goals are in terms of where u want ur chip stack to be after the first hour? for me, the first hour is more or less survival mode where i linger around my starting stack unless i get AA or KK and pick someone off. so often these days people come into tourneys having no mtt fundamentals, and are willing to go broke in the first hour. this polarization in play really changes the whole tournament dynamic, and if ur not getting enough AQs or better type of hands, u might blind away. im trying to offset this by playing non-turbo deepstack tourneys so that i can increase my edge. i like these tourneys better anyway. im just hoping that during the 3rd hour of play, im not stuck in the bottom 25% of the field looking for a double up as is often the case for me since i might not have been loose enough earlier. any thoughts on any or all of this post are much appreciated.

Old
Fri Jul 19, 2013, 06:10 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi ketchup143!

Here's the way I look at deepstack tourneys. First off, I do NOT want to set a number of chips and then try to chase it. With the tourney being deep, I want to be able to use my patience and play only premium hands when out of position, but it does allow me to open up some when in position (suited connectors and 1-gaps). I'll be playing a few more hands in position, but will still have the same patience when out of position. The one thing that I do not want to do is to be passive. When I get involved in hands, I still want to be aggressive, just like I would in a quicker format.

John (JWK24)

P.S. The next big live tourney (non-league) that I'm playing is a 32k starting stack, 30 min levels, 2-day tourney.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jul 20, 2013, 03:13 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
I love deepstacks!

As JWK says, don't set yourself goals, just look for spots to accumulate chips. I disagree though with his tactics but each to his own, if anything I'm a lot looser in a deepstack than a turbo.

Because of the deepstacks, be prepared to see a lot more flops and 3 bets more. That's where you will win and lose most of your chips.

Post flop play is a lot more critical, be aware of set mining and set mine yourself. Be aware of board textures and use them to your advantage whether you hit or not and also be aware of your image and that of your opponents.

There is loads to discuss on this subject and I've only scratched the surface.

Good luck in these, my favourite type of structure in any game.

BTW I played a $5k deepstack last night on another site and earned enough $$$ to buy myself in direct to the IPO. The thing I'm really happy with is I've never deposited on this site and played the IPO previously. Still brimming but it's these deepstacks that are paying my way in the game.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Ovalman; Sat Jul 20, 2013 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: changed grammer

Old
Sat Jul 20, 2013, 10:47 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hey ketchup!! GL with your tourneys!!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com