Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Am I the biggest nit alive?

Old
Am I the biggest nit alive? - Sun Jul 21, 2013, 03:56 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
No real stats on villain since I don't use hud.
So far he has been playing tight ABC poker.
If he shoved I was calling 100% but the minraise scared the hell out of me.

Is there any way that cold call is good, while assuming villain isn't a huge nit?

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 05:35 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi GamblingProp!

From MP1 with KJs, this is borderline from playing, as it's right at the bottom of what I might open with. In most instances, especially if there is an aggressive player behind me, I need to open-fold it. If I'm going to play it, I need to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper (450 chips). I do NOT want to min-raise with it, as I do not want to invite others into the pot and have to play a multi-way pot OOP. Playing marginal hands in big multi-way pots OOP can be a huge chip leak (more like a gusher than a leak).

I now get min 3-bet by the button. With this being a known tight opp, I need to muck, as KJs is not going to be ahead of their range. If the opp was loose, then I would want to make a standard 4-bet to 3X their bet (1350). Calling against a tight player is normally going to be a huge problem here, as there are way too many hands in their range that have me dominated. When calling raises, I want to have a hand near the top 1/3 of what their range is. Ex: if the player is tight and playing say top 10% of hands, then I'd need a hand in the top 3.3% to be calling their raise and KJs is not a part of this range. KJs doesn't even fit into a top 10% range, let alone a top 3.3% range.

I flop an OESD and I'm going to check and hope that the opp prices me in to draw. They bet 450, so to call, I need to put 450 into a pot that will be 2025 (22.2%). I have 8 outs and each of these outs are worth 2% equity to the turn, so my hand is worth 16%. I'm discounting the K's as outs, as the opp has all of the better K's in their range. With my hand being worth 16% equity and having to pay 22.2% pot equity, the pot equity is higher than what my hand is worth, so I need to FOLD to this bet, as I have a -6.2%EV play by calling (I will lose 6.2% of my chips on average if I call). I want to make plays where I expect to gain chips, not ones where I expect to lose them.

I still have nothing on the turn, so I need to check and hope to get a free river card... although, I should have mucked preflop and if not preflop, then on the flop.

The river gives me a straight, but there is a pair on the board, so I could be beat. I'm going to make my standard value bet for a HU pot of 1/2 pot here (1012). Betting less looks fishy, so honestly, the opp raising here doesn't surprise me and when they min-raise, I'm calling and just hoping they don't show me a full house.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 03:01 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
Thanks JWK for the analysis.
Preflop wasn't optimal but that's my standard raise and I think I can outplay anyone postflop, (very ambitious, I know) which explains why I called his min3bet.
The reason why I called flop was the fact that I had implied odds and if a Q or 7 came I would be able to get a good portion of his stack.
Also the river bet is the same amount I would normally bet with a complete bluff, that's why I didn't bet bigger.
Yeah obviously I am a fish, but I ain't a nit!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com