Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

call or fold

Old
call or fold - Sun Jul 21, 2013, 04:12 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

I dont normally open this hand UTG but the blinds stats looked fishy and im confident i can get away from a weak one pair hand if villain shows much interest in the pot.

When he donked into me i thought hes only doing this with either an ace or a 6, so im basically risking my stack for a measley 20c i had in the pot anyway.

Dont have any solid ereads on villain other than he plays a lot of hands his AF was 1 but like i said i know hes only doing this with 2 hands so should i be calling or folding.

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 06:08 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2013
Hey Mike When you post hands for eval don't post the results it'll help in the discussion of the hands... as played i'm ok with a fold on the river... at best you're splitting and with so little invested it not worth risking your entire stack for 30c

another thing with a AF of 1... which is pretty passive should be a alarm when he bets or raises into you

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 06:08 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
The river is a fold. I'm sure you've heard the advice "River donk shoves are always the nuts" by now. While the phrase isn't completely true, it's a pretty accurate guideline.

There's another "rule" that applies for spots like this one: "If you're chopping at best, don't call". It's a rule that took me a long time to learn. I used to call in spots like this very often. You know those spots where the board makes a straight (like T9876) or it's double paired (like 552JJ) and you think "He's betting big to try and get me off a chop"? Most of the time you're right. But you don't make money by calling to chop at best. Sometimes you'll call and find out villain has a better straight than the one on the board, or he made a boat and your ace high on a double-paired board is no good.

You can call in spots like this and chop quite often, but when you're not splitting the pot, you're losing your entire stack. Added to that is that when there's a chopped pot, you both lose a few cents to rake anyway. In short, you cannot make any profit with a call here.

So take a mental note of this rule: If you're thinking of calling in the hope of chopping, don't! Calling for a chop - when there's a reasonable chance you're not chopping at all - is a leak.

Hope this helps!

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Sun Jul 21, 2013 at 06:11 PM..

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 06:10 PM
(#4)
arty is so eloquent... lol hi

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 06:25 PM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2013
Yeah makes sense i guess i can adjust to that rule i spose, obviously when he donked i knew he had the straight but i figured he done that with a 6 or a A so i wanted a chop but if you say dont call to chop thats fine by me.

Pinoy i dont know how to stop the showdown il have a look at the next hand i post im sure il work it out i guess you have to delete some of the text in the hand you put into the hand reader thing.

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 06:51 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
Yeah makes sense i guess i can adjust to that rule i spose, obviously when he donked i knew he had the straight but i figured he done that with a 6 or a A so i wanted a chop but if you say dont call to chop thats fine by me.

Pinoy i dont know how to stop the showdown il have a look at the next hand i post im sure il work it out i guess you have to delete some of the text in the hand you put into the hand reader thing.
when you're putting the hand in the replayer just delete the text at the bottom right before your last action... yeah you have the right idea

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 07:51 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2010
sorry error

Triple Bracelet Winner

Last edited by taxi128; Sun Jul 21, 2013 at 07:55 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com