Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Sunday Million 23BB

Old
Sunday Million 23BB - Sun Jul 21, 2013, 07:47 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
Bubble just burse and looking for a huge pot and looks like a good opportunity to double up.

Is it a good shove?

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 08:55 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2011
Leaning towards just call there. He is UTG so range may be a little stronger, he has to call off versus the two micro stacks and I would expect is only opening something that he is happy calling off to a BB shove. These factors mean he is likely a little tighter than other times. Much of the value in a 20bb shove comes from getting a fold and picking up the pot and I think this is happening less often here if he has tightened up his opening range with the shorties still to act. Other major point is do you think he is calling with AJ or KQs? I doubt it, in which case I am leaning towards calling.

Would be useful to know how he is playing as neither calling or shoving feels ideal, stats/reads on the villain would help me decide between call/shove.

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 08:08 AM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess Awe View Post
Leaning towards just call there. He is UTG so range may be a little stronger, he has to call off versus the two micro stacks and I would expect is only opening something that he is happy calling off to a BB shove. These factors mean he is likely a little tighter than other times. Much of the value in a 20bb shove comes from getting a fold and picking up the pot and I think this is happening less often here if he has tightened up his opening range with the shorties still to act. Other major point is do you think he is calling with AJ or KQs? I doubt it, in which case I am leaning towards calling.

Would be useful to know how he is playing as neither calling or shoving feels ideal, stats/reads on the villain would help me decide between call/shove.
I agree with you Sir, it's the more conservative approach.

But what running on my mind that moment is gonna gamble with any Big A as i'm running good with big Aces

I don't used any tracking software.

Guess i push my luck too much.

Thanks Sir.

PH

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 06:21 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2012
Without any stats it's bad shove for me. and call is not an option for me with just 23 BBs. of course because it's UTG raise , I would shove against MP raise.

Last edited by Shichi-77; Mon Jul 22, 2013 at 06:26 PM..

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 09:18 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi PH,

I agree with the others, I think it's a bad shove because you gave no reads... simply shoving 23bb over a 2-x raise because you have a big ace is never a good play. It depends on the villains range, which depends on reads and how he's playing.

Here the bubble has just burst, and the short stacks tend to blast it in fast once ITM to try for a quick double up... he probably knows this (he's likely to get action from shorties) and is opening UTG anyway so like Profess, I would rate his range to be really strong here. It might include AJ or ATs but I doubt he his calling off to a 23bb shove from us with those hands. He will definitely call us with AK and TT+ however, so we end up taking it down pre the few times we catch him at the very bottom of his opening range and getting our stack in bad the rest of the time.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 23, 2013, 10:50 AM
(#6)
Thanks Coach Dave and everyone.

Guess no expresslane for success and hardwork still the best way.

Good Luck PSO'ers.

Looking forward to another SM grind.

Wish me Luck.

PH

Old
Thu Jul 25, 2013, 05:42 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Yes it is defintely a good spot to double up but with AQo its pure suicide

I guess i saw this hand and didnt believe my eyes you made that move.

Dan

Old
Thu Jul 25, 2013, 03:18 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3n_dan View Post
Yes it is defintely a good spot to double up but with AQo its pure suicide

I guess i saw this hand and didnt believe my eyes you made that move.

Dan
It is nowhere near that bad. I plugged in UTG open of 10%, call off with AK and TT+, blinds call shove with top 3% and it is only a net loss of -728 chips.
So hardly suicide is it?
More importantly a read like the villain opening wide and not being too aware or bothered by short stacks and this easily becomes a profitable shove.

Old
Fri Jul 26, 2013, 04:19 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Quote:
It is nowhere near that bad. I plugged in UTG open of 10%, call off with AK and TT+, blinds call shove with top 3% and it is only a net loss of -728 chips.
So hardly suicide is it?
More importantly a read like the villain opening wide and not being too aware or bothered by short stacks and this easily becomes a profitable shove.
But we have no reads here and I dont make assumptions that the villain is opening wide utg and -728 chips means that on average we lose , ok not suicide "on average" :p but some damage to our stack .I take the hand the way it is.

Old
Fri Jul 26, 2013, 02:39 PM
(#10)
My point was with a tightish, big stack UTG opening raise it is a losing play, but a huge loser. Meaning we would only need some evidence that UTG is opening wide and it turns from being a losing to a profitable shove. Ofc here we don't have such reads, but it is worth bearing in mind.

My issue was that the play is not unbelievable suicide

Old
Fri Jul 26, 2013, 03:56 PM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2013
Quote:
So hardly suicide is it?
How do you make that calculation?

Old
Fri Jul 26, 2013, 05:47 PM
(#12)
Google RESHOVING AN OPEN RAISER
I doubt I am allowed to link

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com