Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

MTT late game question?!

Old
MTT late game question?! - Sun Jul 21, 2013, 07:52 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Hey everyone,

I recently finished an Open League Tournament in 285th place out of 10,000 entrants...given that it is within the top 3% of entrants, I am pretty pleased with this result although I have a question about the way I played the hand I got knocked out with.

I'm on the button, short-stacked with 10k in chips
Small Blind = 60k chips
Big Blind = sitting out
Everyone else folds, action is on me Pre-Flop with 2-2

I decide because I am in position, I am going to raise all-in (seeing as I was short-stacked and needed to make a shove)
Small Blind calls my all in with A-4o

Flop: Blank-4-Blank
Turn: 4
River: Blank

I would have normally neglected shoving Quacks in late position on the button and I'm wondering given my situation if it was the right move?
Please provide some insight on this situation!
Did I make the right move and draw unlucky?

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 08:14 PM
(#2)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Courtland754!

What were the blinds? I'm most likely going to shove here (could be a fold a small % of the time too), but knowing the blind amount would help, as these tourneys have a totally different strategy compared to a cash mtt.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 08:15 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello Courtland754,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline. Here's a short video about PSO and what it has to offer you. Also check out >>This Page<< for more info.

We're here to help you so please feel free to ask any questions you may have and thank you for being a member of PokerSchoolOnline.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 08:18 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi Courtland754!

What were the blinds? I'm most likely going to shove here (could be a fold a small % of the time too), but knowing the blind amount would help, as these tourneys have a totally different strategy compared to a cash mtt.

John (JWK24)
Thank you for the response John,

Blinds were 600/1200 ante 120

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 08:42 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If the blinds were that low.. then I'm NOT shoving. I am going to make a standard raise to 2.5BB or 3000. I do not want my tourney life on the line in a league game unless I have either a premium made hand (QQ, KK or AA) or that I'll be ahead after all 5 cards are on the board.

I do NOT want to take chances in these games, as every spot that I gain is worth more and more league points and the end of the month leaderboard standings are the ONE and only GOAL in them.

If I miss the flop or the opp 3-bets me, I'm mucking my 22 here.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 08:59 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
If the blinds were that low.. then I'm NOT shoving. I am going to make a standard raise to 2.5BB or 3000. I do not want my tourney life on the line in a league game unless I have either a premium made hand (QQ, KK or AA) or that I'll be ahead after all 5 cards are on the board.

I do NOT want to take chances in these games, as every spot that I gain is worth more and more league points and the end of the month leaderboard standings are the ONE and only GOAL in them.

If I miss the flop or the opp 3-bets me, I'm mucking my 22 here.

John (JWK24)
Thank you for your feedback John!
I will take that into consideration next time I'm in a similar situation!

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 09:10 PM
(#7)
Since: Apr 2011
Folded to hero on the button with 8BB with bonus feature that BB is sitting out, really surprised the advice is not ship it!
I would never, ever be raising nearly a third of my stack with 22 and looking for a good flop - they don't happen much.
I get that there are points on offer for surviving further, but the 2000+ chips we get when we shove and pick up blinds and antes or win versus the SB are going to help survive further too.

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 09:18 PM
(#8)
Congrats on finishing in the top 3% - the open is a minefield.

With ~8bb left, and you are well into very good positive points, it's shove or fold. No point raising if you are planning to fold to any pre-flop aggression or play fit or fold on the flop.

Find a spot, preferably in position in an unopened pot, shove and pray.

Otherwise, time bank to the max (maybe you'll get lucky and wake up with a premium) and squeeze out a few extra points while you blind out.

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 09:49 PM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess Awe View Post
Folded to hero on the button with 8BB with bonus feature that BB is sitting out, really surprised the advice is not ship it!
I would never, ever be raising nearly a third of my stack with 22 and looking for a good flop - they don't happen much.
I get that there are points on offer for surviving further, but the 2000+ chips we get when we shove and pick up blinds and antes or win versus the SB are going to help survive further too.
In a cash tourney, I'm snap-shoving.. but not in a league game.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 11:01 PM
(#10)
Since: Jul 2013
Before reading all the replies, I would have shoved with ducks in the same situation too!
Good job on top 3%!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com