Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

KK (UTG) Vs Active / Agg Player (BB)

Old
KK (UTG) Vs Active / Agg Player (BB) - Mon Jul 22, 2013, 09:34 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
http://www.boomplayer.com/poker-hand...304_643F5DF0FB

This is the second of two hands with KK in a $1.10 MTT (6 max) game, where I came off second best. Level XVI. Blinds 350/700 Ante 85. Players left circa. 270 (ITM)

Hero Stats:
VPIP 20, PR 10, 3B, 3, CB 55
BB 35 , FCB 33 (239)

Villain (BB) Stats:
VPIP 34, PR 19, 3B 7, CB 50
BB 30, FCB 75, FPF 3Bet 100 (97)

Notes on Villain:

[P] Called a non-shove 2Bet from the blinds with AKo, TT
[P] Raised or Called All-in Preflop (Eff. Stacks: BB >= 22) with A9s from BU.

My thoughts:

Again I decided KK was ahead of Villain's range & when faced with a 3 bet (check raise) on wet board opted to 4 bet shove 'All In' and make him pay if playing AQ, KQ or a draw?

Question: Correct play or was it too aggressive?

BR

Tony [Prodigy237]

Last edited by Prodigy237; Mon Jul 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM..

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 11:25 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Prodigy237!

With KK from UTG, I'm going to make a standard raise to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper, so I will raise to 1750. I want to keep all of my raises standard, so that the opps are continually guessing as to the strength of my hand. I also do not want to raise too little, as KK plays much better against only 1 opp, compared to an entire table full of opps.

I see a HU pot in position that has straight draws and a flush draw. When the opp checks to me, I want to make a value bet and the key is to make a standard bet. A standard bet in a heads-up situation is 1/2 pot, so I will bet 1830. By making standard bets, my hand will also tell a consistent story throughout the hand. By making a weak min-raise preflop, then an abnormally large bet on the flop, my betting pattern is saying two totally different things (one of weakness, then one of strength).

The opp now clicks back a min-raise. I'm going to call here and re-evaluate on the turn. The reason I'm going to do this is that the opp is known to play pairs and suited cards and both of those can easily outdraw me. By making the overbet on the flop, the opp is already paying the wrong odds to draw, so if they do have a draw, they are already making a -EV play. If this was not the case, then I would need to raise, but since they have already made a bad play to try to draw, I will re-evaluate on the turn.

The turn completes both straights and the spade flush and does not help me. If the opp makes a sizable bet here, I need to muck my KK here, as I can easily be drawing dead if I stay.

The key points here are to make standard bets, as this will help to conceal my hand and also to have my hand tell a consistent story throughout the hand. Also, since the opp has already made a -EV play on the flop, with only one pair on a very wet board, I don't need to shove.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 11:37 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
Don't you think we should consider board texture when cbetting John? I think defaulting to 1/2 pot bets on all textures vs all opponents is a mistake. Not that I am advocating the sizing used here but on this extremely wet texture it's definitely reasonable as long as you're not doing it in an exploitative manner i.e. cbetting KQ+ huge and block betting our draws, for example (though even that's probably of minimal importance unless you've been doing it repeatedly against good, thinking players).

Also, i don't think there's anything discernibly weak about making a min-raise, this is the vast majority of players' standard open when stacks are of medium-short depth.

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 12:04 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi AceKingBlows!

I'm not always going to use 1/2 pot (but will the overwhelming majority). For one opp, I will up it to 2/3 if there is a very high probability of a combination draw being out there. In this hand, there is only 1 hand that has a combo draw and being OOP, while KJs is in the opp's range, they really shouldn't be calling a preflop raise with it, so in this instance, I'll discount it and bet the 1/2 pot as that prices everything out except a combo draw.

Just like open-limps, min-raises, especially from early position are VERY exploitable, especially at micro levels as it invites too many possible hands into the pot. The only time I'd ever min-raise from UTG is if I mis-click, as it can be a huge chip leak.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 01:00 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Hi John [JWK] & AceKingB,

Thank you for your comments / feedback... I agree with AceKingB as this was the mid-late stages of a MTT [with circa. 270 players left; 3,044 started & ITM 330] my standard 'opening' raise would be bb [... as with most players at the table]. Also, I had a reasonably tight image & so would only be raising UTG with strong / premium holdings, so not sure that I was sending mixed messages i.e. min raise was perceived 'weak' & 4 bet PF strong?

I wanted to protect my hand against draws, hence larger cbet... & would normally cbet approx. 70% or a pot size bet with such a wet board. Had I made it 1/2 pot bet as you suggested; would this not allow Villain to make a +EV call on the flop? Also, given stack sizes if I had I simply called Villain's 3bet investing approx. 1/3 of my chips [circa. £7,000] into a pot of $14,860, it would have left me with just over a pot size bet on the turn [shove or fold].

Whilst Villain had an easy call with a set of 7s; he could have quite easily called with worse hands like AK, AQ, AJ, AT, KQ & suited connectors or folded given it was his tournament on the line?

Welcome your comments / feedback.

BR,

Tony [Prodigy237]

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 01:13 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Prodigy237!

1/2 pot will price an opp out from straight or a flush draw. Here's a link to a blog that I wrote on it.

It's unfortunate that the opp had a set, but by not shoving the flop, it gives an out when a card that completes both draws hits on the turn.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 01:25 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Hi John [JWK],

I will make a point of reading your blog [thank you], but in my experience most OPP at the micro stakes wouldn't know what a [+EV] or [-EV] call was anyway.

Thanks again,

Tony [Prodigy237]

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 02:24 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
You're right.. most won't. But, if you DO, then you'll be making plays where you will gain chips on average.. and in the long term, those numbers will always hold.

By making +EV plays over and over, you'll be way ahead of the players that keep making -EV plays. They may get lucky every once in a while, but will lose long term.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com