Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

TT vs KK

Old
TT vs KK - Mon Jul 22, 2013, 03:56 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013

'Pheww'..i almost fold on this hand.I need an advice how should i act on this kind of situation in future so i can make right decision.This kind of action is hard for me but if no risk no profit right.I know if i got a pocket pair one or two our opponent could have it to.Either him or me could hit a set.,and it's hard to read it.

Sincerely
Irwan MtRadzi

Last edited by steyr075; Mon Jul 22, 2013 at 04:08 PM..

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 06:37 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

One of the hand analysers will be around soon to give you some solid advice, explaining what to do and why much better than I ever could. My 2c worth would be that you need to play more aggressively with a hand such as KK. KK is the second best starting hand in hold'em so we should be looking to get all in preflop in most situations when 100bb deep or under. You were sitting 66bb's here so I think getting all in preflop would be the best plan. I'm not saying that you should shove 66bb into 2.5bb pot but rather structure your bet sizing to allow for the manoevering of our stack all in if we feel the time is right.

As a new member to the forum there is some useful information and links for you below .

Here is a link to help familiarize you with all the features and services available at PSO. Feel free to look around the forum and post any comments or questions you may have.

You are invited to join the PokerSchoolOnline Community Home Games Club. Information on how to join the club may be found here.

Good luck at the tables!

Oliver

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 10:10 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi steyr075!

As Oli says, KK is a monster and you should be trying to play a big pot with it. You are, after all, only losing to one hand (AA) and are a big favourite over everything else. Pre-flop, facing a limp, I would raise it up to at least 20c (3bb + 1bb per limper is standard). By minraising, you're giving speculative hands a good price to see the flop and out-flop your kings. As played, the big blind makes a 3x raise to 30c. When the action comes back to you, I would raise again. With KK and AA, you should be happy to get all in pre-flop. Since villain made it 30c, I would bump it up to about 70c to get value and regain the initiative. The problem with just calling is that villain has the betting lead. You see a flop of 652 but you don't know if you're way ahead or not. Villain's most likely hand is in the range TT+/AK. Since you're only losing to AA, you're ahead of the range as a whole. When villain bets the turn, he has an overpair almost always. Since calling means you'll be pot-committed, I would shove all in over his bet, knowing that he is always calling with AA-TT. If he has aces, so be it.
Villain was probably surprised to see you had him crushed, because you played so passively. While you got maximum value, the hand would be a lot easier to play if you'd been the one driving the action. As you said, you almost folded, and that would have been a huge mistake. If you have the betting lead, by being the last player to raise pre-flop, your line is more straightforward. With an overpair, you can just bet-bet-bet, and only consider folding if you get raised.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com