Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Whats your line?

Old
Whats your line? - Mon Jul 22, 2013, 05:56 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
You open AcKd from the cutoff and the button calls

Flop comes 9c 6c 4s do you check or bet?

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 06:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
It depends on the opp. I may c-bet, I may check.. it depends on how they're playing.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 06:06 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi Mike,

Like John says it does depend. However in a situation where I didn't know the player (zoom) I would probably take a standard line of cbetting. We have two overs and a the nut BDFD. Also there are good turn cards to barrel such as overcards J, Q, K or A. The opponents range can also be considered to be wider as of the postions so I think that weak overcards without a draw and some small PP's 22 33 55, and maybe 77 or 88 will fold.

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 06:31 PM
(#4)
Yeah im guessing you 2 are betting this more than you are checking which was my line but i just watched this vid thats says that betting these certain hands are all profitable but checking is more profitable than betting because you keep all there trash hands in.

I cant quite picture it myself because if i turn an ace and bet they fold most of the time anyway he was saying its good for when you turn a draw and villain might turn a pair or something, i saw like 10 diff hands where you can check instead another one was you open A5 and the flop comes A79 and instead of betting you can check to see if they catch a card.

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 06:34 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey Mike!

With no info on the opp, I'd say probably 3/4 of the time I'm going to be c-betting. But that number can dramatically change depending on the opp's play history.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 06:38 PM
(#6)
So why would you check what read would you have on the player to check? other than his a complete station who never folds.

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 06:41 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
So why would you check what read would you have on the player to check? other than his a complete station who never folds.
I'd definitely check to a station. I'm also checking to an aggro opp as I don't want to give them the option to raise me. Depending on what the aggro opp does, I'll then either 3-bet or fold the majority of the time (unless the bet is small enough to price me in, where I'd call).

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 06:48 PM
(#8)
Yeah i missed the aggro player yeah i think a check is in order there and maybe you can play back sometimes to yeah sounds good not something you see at 2nl though the 3bet on the flop that is i have done moves like that myself before but its a pretty pointless play at 2nl, so i avoid those lines now.

Old
Mon Jul 22, 2013, 07:09 PM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2011
Villain-type needs to be considered, but OOP on a flop that smashes a button's pre-flop calling range, I'm usually checking. Sometimes check-calling, sometimes check-folding.

Having the nut flush blocker means we can see a turn card pretty often, and we've got decent equity against one pair hands. We're also ahead of the 87s OESD, but we don't want that bluff-raising us off our equity. If we don't bet, villain can't raise.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 23, 2013, 06:19 AM
(#10)
Yeah thats pretty much what im thinking when i play those hands but im not as concerned vs randoms because they will have all sorts of trash, i just couldnt understand why checking was more profitable than a bet.

Im going to look at some more of these vids today i might learn something.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com