Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

AQ/AK - 2NL Cash Games

Old
AQ/AK - 2NL Cash Games - Tue Jul 23, 2013, 06:02 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
HI all,

A question about playing AQ maybe AK.

I always try to isolate with these hands if I get limpers and with lower hands like KQ depending on position, but if I get a raise before me and a few callers, I tend to just call regardless of the type of villains (tend to forget villain types sometimes as I am thinking about other things - still new to the game) - I have not thought about strategy with these types of hands.

Should I be 3-betting with a raise and callers to isolate with these hand types when there are a load of loose-passives, etc, if so what would be the lowest hand we should do this with? - I am thinking that depending on position again hands like KJ, KQ, etc should go in the muck as we are probably easily dominated facing a raise from certain positions, or do we still play hands like KQ if we are on the BTN say only looking to make straights or flushes, then again, we could be easily dominated with sratights and flushes (nut flush, etc). Also would you do this with TAG, nits, etc?

Or, do you call thus having a multiway pot as AK/AQ still possible to make straights and I guess villains might find it more difficult to put us on these types of hands. Do they perform well multiway?

This is for 2NL cash games.

Cheers,

pullin

Last edited by pullin1988; Tue Jul 23, 2013 at 06:06 AM..

Old
Tue Jul 23, 2013, 08:49 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
In full ring games I'd generally only 3-bet when there's a raise and a call if I have a legitimate monster (AK/QQ+), but it depends on the first raiser's position and tendencies. If he opened in EP or he's a nit, then it's best to flat call with AK/QQ. With hamds like KQo, AQo, I'd usually fold to a raise, as - like you say - those hands are easily dominated. Those hands might become calls if there is a raise and two calls and you're on the button, but I'd much rather cold call with hands like 55 and 76s. Jut be aware that in multiway pots, the winning hand is usually stronger than in a heads up pot, so if you play AQ/KJ, you typically need to make at least two pairs, if not trips+.

The hands that other callers have are unlikely to be strong, so when you're considering playing a hand, you should more or less ignore the callers and think about how your hand plays against the open-raiser's range.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com