Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

[JK] Bankroll Builder

Old
[JK] Bankroll Builder - Wed Jul 24, 2013, 03:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2013
Hi, I started reading the courses and I want to take place in the bankroll builder promotion.

Old
Wed Jul 24, 2013, 06:03 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 25, 2013, 12:08 AM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello JohnPryce,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 25, 2013, 05:14 AM
(#4)
I have passed the Poker Basic course, and right below is the hand.

I folded the villain's all in after raising, I want to know if I did well folding this hand and whether my raise was of the right size.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Thu Jul 25, 2013, 01:21 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi JohnPryce!

With AK from mid position, I get a limp, then a large abnormal raise and a call of the raise. A standard raise here for the opp would have been to 3BB+1BB for each limper or 80 chips. Here is where a read on the opps would come into play for me as there are two ways I could go about this hand.

If I think that the opps will not fold to a 3-bet, then I'm going to call here and re-evaluate after the flop.
If I think that some of the opps would fold, then I will make a 3-bet. A standard 3-bet sizing is to between 3X the previous bet (1032) and a pot-sized raise (1082). If I do 3-bet, I'll size it at 1050. I don't want to go less than 3X, as this can give the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me.

I now get a call and a shove. AK plays much better in a HU pot than it does in a multi-way pot and I'm guaranteed to have at least 2 opps in the hand, if not 3 opps in the hand. With this being the case, with an unmade hand (I only have ace high), I'm going to fold and look for a better spot to get my chips into.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 25, 2013, 01:23 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Brilliant JohnPryce!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 25, 2013, 10:03 PM
(#7)
I have passed the quiz.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

1- for value betting
2- for protection from strong draws
3- to put pressure on opponents

At this hand I raised 3BB on LP, I should have bet 3BB + 1BB, with a flush draw on the flop and after a check of the villain I thought, he showed weakness so I tried to do semi-bluff and bet valuing for a possible flush hit, I bet about half of the pot, on the turn he checks again, I then thought of making a not big bet, he calls and checks again on the river, where I hit my flush so I didnt want to make a huge bet here in order to make him call, I thought that 20c was ok. Did I play well? Any point where I must have done something in a different way? Thanks.

Last edited by JohnPryce; Thu Jul 25, 2013 at 11:50 PM..

Old
Thu Jul 25, 2013, 11:00 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi John!

I like the way you played this hand, although I might play it a little differently. Pre-flop, making an isolation raise to get heads up with the limper is good. (3bb+1bb would be better, but it's OK). JTs is probably the bottom of my range for doing this. I'd prefer to have a hand that makes a good top pair, but any two Broadways will do really, and being suited gives you some additional playability.
As played, you get heads up, which is perfect, and villain checks to you on the two-tone flop of 954. This is a great flop for you, with your flush draw and two overcards. I definitely like making a continuation bet with a nice draw like this. Villain will often check-fold, so you'll pick up the dead money, which is a great result when you have jack high, but you're in pretty good shape even if he calls, as you could improve to top pair or a flush, or pick up additional outs to a straight if an 8 or Q hits the turn.
When villain check-calls the flop, he usually has some piece of it, such as top/middle pair (9x, A5, 88-66) or an OESD with 76. The turn is basically a blank. The thing about the deuce is that it's not at all scary. Anything that called on the flop will also call now. It would be fine betting again if you had a made hand like an overpair, or you'd gained equity with a straight draw to go with your flush draw, but right now you just have jack high. Since villain is likely ahead (you're only beating 76) this is a good spot to check behind. By betting you're charging yourself money to hit your draw, when you could do it for free by checking behind. This is the beauty of being in position. When you want to go for value, you can bet and get called. But when you don't think worse hands will call a bet, and you don't think better hands will fold, then you can check and see if you can improve for free. I kind of understand why you bet small on the turn, but I'd make it even cheaper and not bet at all.
Villain calls and you hit a lucky river. You make the flush. Now you can finally bet for value. Villain's hand is likely to be fairly weak. Since he hasn't raised at any point, I think he mostly has one pair. To target a weak range, you can go with a smaller bet. This flushy river will be somewhat scary to hands like T9 or 88, but you don't want to lose your customer now he's made it to the river. Betting 20c into 50c is great. Villain looked you up, but his hand isn't shown, but I'd imagine it was one or two pairs at best. You made a nice value-bet on the river. Well played!

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 25, 2013, 11:51 PM
(#9)
And also, this hand I've just played, where I hit a set on the flop with pocket fives, could you analyze this hand? Thanks.

Old
Fri Jul 26, 2013, 01:15 AM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello JohnPryce,

We will get the last hand for you within 24 hours.

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 26, 2013, 11:28 AM
(#11)
Hi again JohnPryce! I'll run you through the pocket fives hand in post #9.

This hand more or less playayed itself post-flop, but I would play it differently pre-flop. With 55 in late position, I'm happy to call a raise and go set-mining, but if it's folded to me I will open for a raise myself, because that provides an additional way to win. You could steal the blinds straight away, and that's a good result, because you won't flop a set very often.
As played, you limp in, which is a weak play that I don't recommend. Now you'll actually have to hit the flop, and if no one raises, the BB could check his option and make a random pair better than yours. Limping also turns your hand face up as a small pair or suited connector, which will allow competent opponents to play better against you. (If you raise, they don't know if you have AA, KJ or 76s).
The small blind raises, but his size is far too small. You can make a very easy call, as you have a great price to try and hit your set. As luck would have it, you spike a 5 on 965. When villain makes a continuation bet of almost the size of the pot, he clearly has a hand of some sort (villains usually bet smaller on the flop if they missed), so I would immediately raise like you did, with the aim of getting all in at the earliest opportunity. You raise it up, and if was villain I would be able to fold a hand like TT, because your line is consistent with a set or 87s that flopped a straight. This villain, however, totally overvalues his hand. 88 has a pair + gutshot, but it's never ahead here. Villain 3-bets the flop and you correctly get it in. Occasionally villain will hit one of his outs, but in the long run, you're crushing here as a big favourite. Nice hand, well played!

Hope this helps!
To get more tuition on cash game basics, I recommend going to live training sessions for the Wednesday and Saturday Games if you can. You'll even be able to play alongside other PSO members in the Homegame club and get instant feedback on the way you play your hands. Good luck!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2013, 01:10 AM
(#12)
Thanks Arty.

I've already earned 10 VPPs after receiving the previous bonus, It is said that the next bonus would be automatically credited, but nothing until now. Just letting you know that I've reached the minimum 10 VPPs earned.

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2013, 12:51 PM
(#13)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi JohnPryce!

It can take 48-72 hours for these to show in our system. To release the third bonus, you need to obtain 10VPP's AFTER the second bonus. I only show that you have 9.08VPP TOTAL and a number of these came before the second bonus. Please keep playing to get to 10vpp AFTER the second bonus only.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2013, 07:13 PM
(#14)
Target hit.

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2013, 08:42 PM
(#15)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPryce View Post
Target hit.
I disagree. You're up to 11.87vpp TOTAL but that is NOT 10 AFTER the second bonus. Please keep playing.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2013, 10:25 PM
(#16)
At least at the client it says I've got 18 VPPs, and I've already got the third bonus.

I've just played this hand, did I do everything in the right way?

@EDIT

And also this hand too:

I've recently watched a video here teaching how to set traps, I tried that out in this hand, my guess is on the river he'd still bet that's why I didnt bet, despite that I've got some decent chips from him.

Last edited by JohnPryce; Sun Jul 28, 2013 at 11:22 PM..

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2013, 11:49 PM
(#17)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello JohnPryce,

Fantastic! The extra vpp's that you earned showed up in the system.

There are three ways in which you can earn your last bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 3rd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 4th bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 3rd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 29, 2013, 12:27 PM
(#18)
Hi again JP,

I'll take a look at the hands in post #16.

With AA, everything is standard pre-flop. You raised and got min 3-bet, and that reraise was cold-called. 4-betting to 40c is perfect. The flop comes Q54, so you have the best overpair. Now look at the size of the pot. It's $1.21 and you only have $1.06 behind. This means that if it's folded to you, your only option is to go all in. As played, both villains are short, so when one shoves in 60c, you can just call, hoping the other will also put in his last 58c. That's what happens. Because of all the pre-flop action, the pot was very large in relation to stack sizes, so villains got pot-committed on the flop, and ended up stacking off very light, while you practically tripled up. Nice hand.

Pre-flop with 44 in EP, I prefer a fold. With any hand I enter the pot with, I do so with a raise. Limping in is a weak play that indicates you have a weak hand. If I was your opponent, I would put you on a small pair or suited connector and that would enable me to play optimally against you. A villain makes an isolation raise, and he's likely doing this with big cards and pairs. You call, and that's OK, because you have the implied odds to go set-mining, as you're both deep-stacked, but notice that you're out of position, having to act first on every street post-flop. It's hard to maximise your profit when OOP, which is why I would generally just fold weak hands in early position.
As played, you call and you flop a monster, with a full house on 554. Now you have to think about how to get value. The standard line I take when flopping a monster OOP is to check-call the flop, check-raise the turn, shove the river. Slowplaying the flop is fine. Villain will c-bet this flop whether he has an overpair or ace high. The turn brings a 9, which is unlikely to affect villain's relative hand strength. He might have picked up a flush draw with something like AcKc, but overpairs (TT+) are still betting. You check, and villain bets 36c into 60c. Here I would check-raise. I want to get maximum value from overpairs and flush draws, (and indeed make them pot-committed) and set up an all in shove on the river. You continue to slowplay/trap, and I don't recommend this. You can never be certain that a villain will do the betting for you. The river comes a jack, and this doesn't change anything unless villain has JJ that hit a 2-outer to beat you. A flush didn't get there, and TT might not bet when an overcard hits. I would always lead out on the river. You cannot give the opponent the opportunity to check behind. He might have a hand as strong as AA, but not bet it, because he's worried you have trips or a boat. At higher stakes, trapping is a useful play, as you need to use deception sometimes to get the most value from aggressive opponents. At the lowest stakes, however, slowplaying is considered "fancy play syndrome". It misses a lot of value. With big hands, you should be betting and raising, not checking and calling.
Here the villain does check behind. Without knowing his hand, it's impossible to say if he would have called a bet on the river, but I would definitely bet at least half pot, hoping he'll call with one pair.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 12:30 PM..

Old
Mon Jul 29, 2013, 06:52 PM
(#19)
On the client I've got 49 VPPs by far, I'm just standing by.

Meanwhile, can these hands be analyzed?

And I've got a question: I, somehow, have difficulty at adapting to different stacks like when in a tournament, and in the future when I switch to different stacks games in cash money. How do I adapt to this? Is it just adapt to the blinds these game has, is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Old
Mon Jul 29, 2013, 08:16 PM
(#20)
Hi again JP!

Stack sizes certainly need to be figured into your calculations, and it's especially so in tournaments. The size of a stack should be thought of in relation to the blind level. In cash games, anything less than 40bb is consiered a shortstack, greater than 150bb is considered "deep", and everything in between (like 100bb) is medium/standard stack-sizes. When comparing your stacks with those of other players, you should think of the shortest stack as the "effective" stack, because the most you can win is that amount. You can't win 100bb from someone if he starts the hand with only 40bb, for example.

Now let's look at the hands in post #19.

1. I really like the way you played the QQ. Since villain is raising in MP (as opposed to early), his range is wide enough that you can 3-bet for value and get called by worse. Your 3x sizing is great. You flop the nuts, with top set on the flop and I love that you played it fast. Many players would slowplay top set, and I think it's a mistake to do so on anything but the dryest of boards. You can get value from flush draws and worse pairs on this flop. Villain check-raises, and he can't possibly be ahead, so re-raising and trying to get all in should be your plan. His play with AK is terribad. That hand is never winning when you 3-bet the flop, so villain's shove is pure spew. He doesn't even have a backdoor flush draw, so is virtually drawing dead. Nice double up!

2. With TT, an iso-raise pre-flop is great. Villain calls and the flop comes KJT. You made a set on a super-wet flop. When villain donks out for a bet of larger than the pot, he's repping a monster, or a scared top pair that doesn't want you drawing to a flush or straight. I would raise for value and protection. Villain can have KJ/JT which you're ahead of, but it's also possible for him to have a straight with Q9. (AQ seems unlikely, as it would be weird to limp pre-flop with that). You decided to flat, which is OK. On this depth of money, it might be a mistake to get all in with a set. Having said that, you'd have to pay me $5 to fold a set on the flop at 2NL. Villain can be going crazy with worse. It's odd to see villain check the blank turn after betting the flop. It seems he is scared you have him beat, so Kx and JT seem likely. Your turn value bet is fine. Even if villain is slowplaying a straight, you have 10 outs to a boat or quads on the river. The river comes a jack, so you filled up. It's certainly possible that villain made a better boat with JT or KJ, but I'd get it in here, as trips or a straight are also possible. It turns out villain did flop the straight, and he also had a redraw to a straight flush. All the money could/should have gone in on the flop, but I can understand you being cautious when you have 250bb to begin with. If you're uncomfortable playing that deep, you can always leave the table and buy in for the standard 100bb on another.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 08:18 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com