Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5 NL Fast (6 max) - 55 in SB in 4 way flop Vs UTG Raise + 1 MP caller (& BB)

Old
5 NL Fast (6 max) - 55 in SB in 4 way flop Vs UTG Raise + 1 MP caller (& BB) - Fri Jul 26, 2013, 11:00 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
$0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Apologies in advance... I couldn't upload the hand into the replayer for some unknown reason?

Stats:

Hero (SB): 105.4 BB (VPIP: 19.40, PFR 14.93, 3Bet: 2.38 Hands: 144)
UTG: 44.6 BB (VPIP: 23.58, PFR:21.31, 3Bet: 10.00, Hands: 124)
MP: 173.4 BB (VPIP: 17.02, PFR: 8.51, 3Bet: 0.00, Hands: 47)
BB: 91.4 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR:0.00, 3Bet: 0.00, Hands: 3)

Hero posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has : :

UTG raises to 3 BB, MP calls 3 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 2.6 BB, BB calls 2 BB

UTG was quite active raising with hands e.g. K8s, Q4o in position and called 2Bets & 3Bets out of position with 88, AQo, JJ. MP was playing fairly tight & simply called UTG raise, so put him on 88+,ATs+,AQo+. I was getting odds close to 3:1 to call with my pair of 5s & BB came along for the ride.

Flop: (12 BB, 4 players) : : :
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP bets 12 BB, Hero calls 12 BB, fold, fold

Great Flop hitting a FH, so checked to original raiser and both BB & UTG raiser checked. MP then makes a pot size bet, which screams block bet, rather than draw & makes me think he has an o/pair to the board, so I simply call.

Turn: (36 BB, 2 players) :
Hero checks, MP checks

I opted to check again & MP quickly checked behind, so made me think he was holding mid o/pair & discounted AAs KKs QQs etc.

River: (36 BB, 2 players) :
Hero checks, MP bets 36 BB

Flush draw gets there on the river & again I check. MP then makes another pot size bet?

Question:

1). What is my next action?
2). Should I have led out OTT / OTR?

Welcome your thoughts / comments...

Tony [aka Prodigy237]

Last edited by Prodigy237; Sat Jul 27, 2013 at 02:58 PM..

Old
Sat Jul 27, 2013, 05:11 AM
(#2)
Hi Prodigy,

Preflop call goes without saying is standard.
We just flopped a boat and our objective is to try and get as much money in the pot as possible.
OTF, I would take a x/r line instead of a x/c. Raising gets more money into the pot than calling. And because we are OOP, it will be hard for us to get more bets into the pot if we just call OTF. We might lose 1 street of betting if our opponent checks back OTT like what happened in this particular case.

When we x/r, I don't expect over-pairs or FDs to fold; they would atleast call once. Obviously hands that are taking a stab at the pot will fold against what I perceive his calling range to be {JJ-22, AK/AQ/AJ, KQ, KJs, QJs }
He will continue 25% of the time to a check raise (31/121 combos of JJ-77 + FDs). Surely 75% of the time we will be getting folds but again we are OOP and its difficult to get more money in the pot on later street.

Leading the flop also does not seem like a bad option either actually.

As played (which I also think is not bad; but not optimal) I would be x/r the turn if they bet, unluckily for us they don't and his hand strength now looks like a non nut FD or JJ-88. I which case, I would lead the river small to induce a raise from made flushes or light calls from JJ/TT. Once we check and he bets the river, I am value raising now. Let's hope he did not have QQ or 77

Old
Sat Jul 27, 2013, 11:44 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Hi geoVARTA,

Thanks for your feedback / comments. I was concerned x/r OTF would appear too strong & chase away all but premiums holdings & nut FD so would miss out on some value on later streets. My plan was to x/r OTT as was sure Villain would have Ax in his range [... or semi bluff], but was surprised when he checked back.

I very nearly led out OTR [... & agree in hindsight should have bet approx. 1/2 pot to induce some action], but decided to x/r 'all in' as my hand was very disguised & would only be losing to AA, QQ or 77. However, Villain's action / betting pattern suggested it was more likely he had a FD or TT, JJ [... poss AK, AQ].

Villain then used virtually all his clock... & finally called my 'all in'. [Showdown to follow].

Tony [aka Prodigy237]

Last edited by Prodigy237; Sat Jul 27, 2013 at 12:19 PM..

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2013, 01:20 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Prodigy,

geo gave a nice rundown already, but here's my thoughts.

I would lead the flop personally... it's a 4 way pot and the PFR's got a wide range that will mostly be air, but I don't trust him to c-bet air multi-way like this. If anyone's got a pair or flush draw, they're not going anywhere. Another nice thing with leading here is it disguises our hand a bit, since no one expects us to bet right out with 7x or 55.

Since we checked, I definitely favor check/raising for the reasons geo said. MP's pot sized bet looks like protection to me, with what he thinks is the best hand right now but it's vulnerable. 88-TT being the primary candidates. Or a semi-bluff trying to take it down now. There are a lot of scary turn cards for the pair holdings (like an ace for instance) so we want to get more money in right now. Leading out would have quite possibly been raised by these hands, as it doesn't look as strong as a check-raise will.

As played, bet river small and hope he raises. I think we can largely discount AA or QQ from his range (if he flatted these pre it's going to pay off this time, but he should 3b the UTG player as described with these imo). He would never pot the flop with quads. So it seems likely to this river action he's either making a desperate bluff, or has the flush. Put him all in imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2013, 07:07 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2013
You know if you lead there and villain raises you and you call would you lead the turn? or check raise depending on if the flush came or not.

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2013, 06:46 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your analysis [& geo]. I was so focused on trapping I didn't consider leading out OTF & agree if Villain had an o/pair he would most likely R if I had. If so, presume you would ship 'all in' at this stage?

As it was I got it 'all in' OTR, so achieved my goal. Unfortunately... Villain showed

Tony [aka Prodigy237]

Last edited by Prodigy237; Sun Jul 28, 2013 at 07:15 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com