Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

KK on AAx flop

Old
KK on AAx flop - Sat Jul 27, 2013, 05:02 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2012
I played this hand at the start of a $0.01/0.02 Zoom session, so I didn't have any info on the villain.

What do you think I should do in this spot?

Last edited by lyoung911; Sat Jul 27, 2013 at 12:19 PM..

Old
Sat Jul 27, 2013, 05:57 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
Preflop against a limper at 2NL, I would go for a bigger raise 0.10-0.12. When he limp/min-raises us its gross because some players will do that with AA, but whatever we have KK and he could be spewing off with some random PP or AK, I want to raise big and try to get it in. I'd make it 0.5.

I'm folding flop. I don't plan to hero call here against someone I have no reads on.

"What do you think I should do in this spot?" Thank your villain for forcing you to make the right play

Old
Sat Jul 27, 2013, 09:56 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi lyoung,

I would actually probably call off with KK. I'm sure I'm paying the piper some of the time here, but it seems really hard to believe that he's got AA or AK and playing it in this manner. Certainly the limp-min-reraise could be those holdings, but we re-popped it to .40c and he chose not to 5b us with those? I would think most of the time a player limp-reraising with the monsters is stacking them pre when they get 4b. If they flat the 4b with them, it's to be a bit tricky/trappy, but then someone of that mind set is never open shoving for the size of the pot when they flop this hard. So since all the actions put together make little sense to me for AA or AK, I'd look him up and be ready to make a note regardless, considering this my first read.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 29, 2013, 10:23 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2012
Thanks both of you for the feedback, the hand played out like this:

As you can see I did make the call, because I didn't think it to be too likely he had an Ace. Like you said Dave, he would probably 4bet AK and AA pre, and I also figured that with two Aces on the flop it is a lot less likely he would have an Ace, simply because there are fewer left for him to have, therefore hands with aces making up a smaller part of his range.
Because of this to me it felt like an easier call than if the board had only had one Ace, such as A85r. Do you think that is a correct way to think?

Old
Mon Jul 29, 2013, 10:22 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Well while it's true with 2 aces on the board it's less likely he has one, it's not impossible, so the real key is ranging him and evaluating if his play makes sense for the hands that beat us, AA and AK. Limp-reraise/flat pre, then overbet shove the flop into you makes no sense.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com