Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Interesting hand

Old
Interesting hand - Sun Jul 28, 2013, 03:56 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey guys,

I was bored tonight and watched a high stakes tourney and had the following hand witnessed :
Blinds : 30/60
9 ring table
Preflop action :
---------------------
Everybody folds to M2
M2 raises 2BB (120)
M3 folds
CO folds
Button calls 2BB (120)
SB raises 8BB (480)
BB folds
M2 folds
Button calls
Pot : 1140
--------------------
Flop : 3s2s4d
Action : SB raises 16BB > Button calls
--------------------
Turn : 2c (board 3s2s4d2c)
Action : SB Shoves remaining 21BB (1300) > Button calls (leaving a stack of 3 BB behind)
-------------------
River : 5d (Board : 3s2s4d2c5d)
Showdown :
SB : AhJc
Button : 8h8d
SB makes the straight.

It is very interesting as one of them is a gold star and one a pokerstars team pro (which is which I won't tell) as I'd like to see people oppinions on this hand.

Cheers,
Shoim o/

Last edited by shoim; Sun Jul 28, 2013 at 04:13 PM..

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2013, 05:03 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2011
Hard to comment on seeing just one hand, but i'm going to assume this hand is played based on reads/history with each other.

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2013, 05:41 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi shoim,

I agree with EmotiveKiwi, just a single hand out of context is hard to evaluate. Reads on players especially in a hand like this are important.

This isn't a standard hand by any means but I think both lines are reasonable.

AJ is an ok hand to squeeze here. Calling with 88 might be a little risky but it does depend on reads I guess.

CBet on a low flop gets looked up by an over pair.

Then on a pretty blank turn the aggressor should 2-barrel a reasonable percentage of the time or they will just lose the pot either at showdown or folding to a bet by the button.

The overpair may know the situation the aggressor is in and feel 88 catches enough bluffs.

Reads really are important in this scenario. I think the only questionable thing might be calling the squeeze with 88. But with position, it's probably not too bad.

All that being said. The same strategy doesn't necessarily translate to microstakes. As players won't have the same ranges and tendencies. People won't 2nd barrel air as often. And the button won't be floating as often.

Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 29, 2013, 02:24 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey,

Thank you Kiwi and Andy. I woke up this morning still thinking on this hand, and your input helped me change my mind about what happened as I focused on the action post-flop last evening, but when I took a look again I think I can understand the actions of the SB and a bit of the reasoning, and spotted a mistake for the Button - that is going back to the pre-flop action when he simply flats that min raise from M2 - I think this action narrowed down the range on him from SB's perpective and that, ofc, based on reads and history. Assuming the Button is a tight passive player, then that flat would give SB enough reasons to agress - is this making sense ?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com