Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

TT on 100k freeroll

Old
TT on 100k freeroll - Sun Jul 28, 2013, 09:59 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
Can we do something else besides shoving or calling pre (like min 3bet)?
Also is my flop call +EV considering villain is on the loose side?

btw I am usually shoving pre but I called here because I was confident both villains had 1 or 2 overcards.

Last edited by GamblingProp; Sun Jul 28, 2013 at 10:01 PM..

Old
Mon Jul 29, 2013, 12:33 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi GamblingProp!

With tens in the BB, I get a limp, then a min-raise. Due to the stack sizes, I cannot call here, as to set mine, I need to have 15X the bet in everyone's hand and I am nowhere near that amount (and neither are my opponents).
Due to this, I now have two choices, either to raise or fold. However, a raise would need to be a standard raise (to between 3x the previous bet, 900, and a pot-sized raise, 1245). Anything in this range makes me pot-committed, so that rules out raising and now makes my decision either to shove or fold.

The only way that I'd even consider folding here is a satty bubble or if the min-raiser is a total nit that would only min-raise with AA or KK (which should not be the case in a freeroll).

This leaves me with one and only one option... to shove!
-----

If I saw the flop (which I never would), to call the opp's shove, I need to put 1890 into a pot that will be 5025 (37.6%).
I now go to pokerstove and put in my pocket 10's and the flop. This creates an interesting situation, because the looser the opp is, the lower my win % due to having 3 clubs on the board (playing looser brings more Ax, Qx, Jx clubs into their range). Breakeven EV here is at a 22% range for the opp. If the opp is playing tighter than this, then calling is +EV. If the opp is looser, it's a -EV call.

The overwhelming best decision that can be made in this hand is to shove preflop.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 29, 2013, 03:22 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
Thanks JWK, I agree on shoving preflop that saves us from hard decisions on later streets.

Old
no - Tue Aug 06, 2013, 08:18 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2013
ChromeStar
No, I think you played it by the book. But it also looks like that was the problem. It was your bb, so having P10, I would have raised x3 the initial raise. That's where it went downhill for you, only managing a draw in the process. I try to follow what Joe Hachem says; don't do scared money.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com