Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25nl zoom, what to make of check raise on really dry flops from regs

Old
25nl zoom, what to make of check raise on really dry flops from regs - Wed Jul 31, 2013, 02:27 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
So lately ive been finding myself on spots like this..
This hands are from two 4 tabling regs at 25nl zoom, on similar flops, but one OP and the other OOP. No much hands on them to know how are they playing post flop with stats.

PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

Hero (Button) ($30.18)
SB ($58.35)
BB ($34.68)
UTG ($47.61)
MP ($25.39)
CO ($22.86)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 10, A
3 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, 1 fold, BB calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.10) 2, 6, J (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.60, BB raises to $1.75, Hero folds

Total pot: $2.30 | Rake: $0.10

Results below:
Click to show hidden text

PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

Button ($28.20)
Hero (SB) ($38.24)
BB ($47.10)
UTG ($29.15)
MP ($3.84)
CO ($34.74)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7, 6
4 folds, Hero raises to $0.62, BB calls $0.37

Flop: ($1.24) 6, J, 3 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.60, BB raises to $2.50, Hero folds

Total pot: $2.44 | Rake: $0.11

Results below:
Click to show hidden text

So when i see this board its hard to give them any credit for any big hands, and for big hands i mean TPGK and stronger, and to me looks a lot like if they just think "he is cbetting this flop 100% of the time, he will have a lot of air lets CR him and make him fold" but im kind of a paranoid player lol.

So what type pf hands you think are they doing this? some medium pairs and pp that cant stand too much action?

What should i do?

a) Just give up and fold?
b) Start floatting them with A highs and back door draws, and see if they give up on turn and river (harder to do OOP)
c) Get super aggro and reraise?

Old
Sat Aug 03, 2013, 01:23 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
The 76cc hand example you should clearly either a) bet/call or b) check/call. Things that aren't options... c) bet/fold d) check/fold e) bet/three-bet f) check-raise.

This is blind versus blind, ranges are quite wide. When he raises your continuation bet, what do you put him on? What beats you? JX and that is it. Would he raise a set of 3s. If he has a set of 3s in bvb congratulations to him. But you can't simply give up in a wide range situation on a dry board to a flop raise with a hand this strong.

I can see your reason for folding hand 1, I think that's fine. I don't see how we can fold hand 2.

Call and re-evaluate turn.

Here is an exercise:

i) tell me what hands you think might bluff-raise this flop that just called preflop
ii) tell me what cards on the turn do you think you can check-call, assuming you call this turn raise? List every card in three categories, first, can check-call, second, not sure, third, can't check-call. Assume the pot on the turn is 6.25 and he bets 3.50 if you check.

Old
Sat Aug 03, 2013, 03:08 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
ok thanks so,

1) bluff-raise: 54s, A3s, A2,A4,A5,KQs,KTs,9Ts,78s,57s,ATs.

2) check-call: J,3,4,5,6,7,any club. (not sure:2,8,9,T cant call- A K Q) no clubs.

Last edited by CaRLoS_DZ87; Sun Aug 04, 2013 at 01:43 PM..

Old
Wed Aug 14, 2013, 11:35 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2011
I like your 1) list.

As far as 2 honestly I think you can probably go with the list you had but that's the minimum. This is a spot where there are going to be three players types in your games

a) raising all sorts of random stuff and barreling any turn regardless of fold equity or real equity
b) raising as a bluff a decent amount but also raising any JX
c) raising only like AJ and better

often check-calling any turn to check-fold rivers on bad runouts is going to be the best line. Like on a K turn any T9 is going to fire so often and you crush T9 on a K turn.

As you are not currently comfortable bet/calling flop though, I would start with the list you made up, but probably add any A as any bluffing hand will fire that often.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com