Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder Promotion

Old
Bankroll Builder Promotion - Thu Aug 01, 2013, 06:06 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2013

Dear PS team,

I'd like to take part in the bankroll builder promotion. I feel the need for a personal instructor because no matter how much I try to study the game I often feel that I might be skipping over some important detail. My results so far seem to reflect this as well.

Old
Thu Aug 01, 2013, 06:52 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malchior90 View Post

Dear PS team,

I'd like to take part in the bankroll builder promotion. I feel the need for a personal instructor because no matter how much I try to study the game I often feel that I might be skipping over some important detail. My results so far seem to reflect this as well.
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Please read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 02, 2013, 05:24 AM
(#3)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 02, 2013, 02:29 PM
(#4)
I think I'm done.

I watched the vids,and I think there will be no problems using the replayer later on. In fact I kind of enjoy it.
I have completed the basic course asessment a bit earlier.

It was a great game even if I failed to win in the end. I decided to limp in since it was free,and counting the outs after the flop and especially the turn I could not resist the possibility of being able to post a straight flush.
I know I was greedy,but was it logical?

Old
Sat Aug 03, 2013, 09:59 AM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 03, 2013, 11:08 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Malchior90!

With 23o in the BB, when I get 5 limps in front of me, I'm more than happy to check and see a flop since I have one of the worst starting hands in hold'em.

I flop the bottom end of an OESD and when it checks to me, I will check and hope to get a free turn card. If I did make a bet here, with this many opps in the pot, I would need to make a pot-sized bet. The reason for this is that post-flop bets need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and the board texture. With 4+ opps, a standard bet is a pot-sized bet.. and I don't want to bet that much with basically the worst hand anyone could have right now.

The turn gives me 2 pair and now I have an open-ended straight flush draw. I will make a standard value bet here and with 3 opps in the pot, a standard bet is 3/4 pot, so I will bet 75.

The river gives me a straight, but I really need to watch out here. There is a pair on the board, so someone can have a full house and also, I have the bottom end of the straight, so anyone with a 7 has me beat. When the opp makes a small bet, I'm going to call behind here. If I raise, I would need to raise by 3/4 pot and I don't want to make a large bet here, as it should only get called by a hand that beats me.

The key with this hand are standard bet sizes. By betting too small, an opp can get the correct odds to try and outdraw me and if I give the opp the correct odds, then it's my own fault that I lose the hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 03, 2013, 01:00 PM
(#7)
Well thank you both. I think I'll go study some bet-sizing. At least until the next advice.

Malchior90

Last edited by Malchior90; Sat Aug 03, 2013 at 01:02 PM..

Old
Sun Aug 04, 2013, 10:18 AM
(#8)
(Community Coordinator)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 05, 2013, 11:47 AM
(#9)
Hello again.
First of all sorry for the delay,I didn't have net access for a day.
Question 1:

I did't want to waste such a promising hand,but I don't know if I should have folded instead. Was it a mistake or a good bluff?
question 2: Not exactly in connection with the current exercises,but how should I treat preflop all-ins during MTTs?
Sometimes I fold pocket J's and then I see the opponent raised all in with pocket 5s or similar. And when I don't fold they quite often defeat my monsterhands with luck

A big bet is for 1.gaining value when I have a good hand
2.A way to increase pressure on the opponent(s)---sometimes pressure on the others is a greater help than any card so betting big is also a way to bluff.
3.A big bet can sometimes protect a good hand on a draw-heavy board. Not letting the others wait for a turn/river that would improve them.

Test is ready.

Malchior90

Last edited by Malchior90; Mon Aug 05, 2013 at 03:28 PM..

Old
Tue Aug 06, 2013, 10:12 AM
(#10)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Aug 06, 2013, 11:06 AM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Malchior90! I'll analyse the hand in post #9.

KTs can be a trouble hand, as although it can sometimes make a straight or flush, the best you'll usually make is top pair, average kicker. Here you're on the button (the best position), so I think it's OK to call, as the blinds might also come along giving you decent implied odds if you flop a draw. As played, it's heads up and the flop comes a dry 973. Villain doesn't make a continuation bet, so he probably missed with two overcards, like AQ. I think it's fine to take a stab at this, and your bet size is about right. Villain surprisingly calls. The turn is 6, which misses villain's likely range. I think this is a pretty good card to bet as a bluff, but you don't need to bet so big. You're likely to get called if villain has a diamond draw, but he'll fold with any unpaired hand. When bluffing, I try and bet the smallest amount that will get the job done. A bet of half pot is sufficient for this purpose. You bet a little more than was necessary, but you took down the pot. Nice hand!

Regarding your question about MTTs, I would have to say there is a lot of luck involved in tournaments, but the correct play in many circumstances comes down to the relevant stack sizes. Without seeing the full hand history, it's impossible to give advice.

Hope this helps!
To get more tuition on cash game basics, I recommend going to live training sessions for the Wednesday and Saturday Games if you can. You'll even be able to play alongside other PSO members in the Homegame club and get instant feedback on the way you play your hands. Good luck!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Tue Aug 06, 2013 at 11:09 AM..

Old
Wed Aug 07, 2013, 06:28 AM
(#12)
(Community Coordinator)
Super!

Let us know as soon as you have passed the Cash Game course and we'll get your next bonus to you

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Aug 07, 2013, 06:40 AM
(#13)
I have passed it. By "test" in the end of my last message I was trying to mean the quiz.

Malchior90

Old
Wed Aug 07, 2013, 07:18 AM
(#14)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I have passed it. By "test" in the end of my last message I was trying to mean the quiz.

Malchior90
Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 08, 2013, 01:56 PM
(#15)
Hello again!

I'm ashamed to say I failed to earn anything apart from experience in the real money tables.I think it's mostly because even though I was winning first, I was too excited to leave the game. Here is the link of how I lost most of the cash you gave me:

The other major loss (though not this big) was a 3of a kind vs a flush, but I just can't find the link.

After finding out that I'm basically incapable of standing up from a table I decided to get to the best 400 of the school's freeroll MTT to hide my disadventage behind the rules. ( I didn't want to write here only about failure.) I managged to get quite far(12th was my best position) and finally finished the tourney in some 200 th place out of 10000.
In my oppinion,the links I collected during the tourney are much more interesting than the one I just posted. Would you care to take a look at the 5 hands I selected from the approx.150?

Malchior90

Last edited by Malchior90; Thu Aug 08, 2013 at 01:58 PM..

Old
Thu Aug 08, 2013, 07:10 PM
(#16)
(Community Coordinator)

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 08, 2013, 09:09 PM
(#17)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Malchior90! I'll analyse the hand in post #15.

With QTs, you have a pretty good speculative hand, and you're on the button in a multiway pot, which means you'd usually have good implied odds if you flop a nice draw, and you can control the size of the pot, because you have the best position. But I prefer folding pre-flop here, and the reason is your stack size. With speculative hands, you need a deep stack of at least 80bb.
As played, you call pre, and then you find yourself in trouble on the flop, because you made top pair, average kicker and there's no getting away from it, because of your stack size. If you call villain's bet, you're committed to the pot, even if the turn card is bad for your hand. That's exactly what happens. The turn is a king, so you no longer have top pair. You have a ton of outs however, as you picked up straight and flush draws. You have to call here, but you're an underdog to all made hands. Villain shows AA and you can't improve. Unlucky!

We can only look at cash hands in this thread, but if you want to post tourney hands for analysis, you can post in the tournament analysis forum.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 09, 2013, 12:42 AM
(#18)
Thanks for the analisys again. I'll go post my tourney hands until furter advice. (:

Old
Fri Aug 09, 2013, 05:30 AM
(#19)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Thanks for the analisys again. I'll go post my tourney hands until furter advice. (:
Brilliant,

Your Bankroll Builder progress is moving along nicely and you will receive your 3rd bonus later today!

Step Three

Now we really want you to up your game! Your challenge is to earn 10 VPPs after getting today's buy-in.

Note that any VPPs that you have earned up to this point won't count, only those earned AFTER you get your 3rd buy-in.

When you hit your target of 10 VPPs we will award you with your final Bankroll Builder bonus. Let us know when you reach the target.

Also, if you make a deposit at this stage we will also award you with your final bonus.

Best of Luck at the tables and let us know as soon as you have earned the 10 VPPs or if you make a deposit.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Sep 06, 2013, 03:47 AM
(#20)
Thank you for closing my training. I was going to write after 20 VPPs, because I forgot the exact ammount I have to collect. You helped me a lot, and it starts to show in my results.

Malchior 90

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com