Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Buy in amounts.

Old
Buy in amounts. - Fri Aug 02, 2013, 11:23 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi all I have got used to the idea that I should buy in for 100BB so at 2nl $2.

yet in the Wednesday and Saturday homes games lots of regulars buy in for the Max $5.

what is correct or at least what do you prefer and why.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 02, 2013, 11:39 AM
(#2)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey grade b!

If I'm at a cash table, I'm ALWAYS buying in for the max.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 02, 2013, 11:49 AM
(#3)
Same here

Old
Fri Aug 02, 2013, 12:11 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
While here I am buying for the minimum or a ridiculous amount like 121 BB.
But that's because I am a fish so I don't recommend doing it.
You should stick to BRM and on what you feel comfortable losing.

Old
Fri Aug 02, 2013, 12:13 PM
(#5)
ty I shall try a few tables and see how i get on.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 02, 2013, 12:45 PM
(#6)
Since: Apr 2011
Depends if you like and are comfortable playing 250bb deep? If not stick to buying in for 100. When you buy in for $2 and run it up to $4+ do you leave table and protect it or carry on? You may be quite used to playing for more than 100bb deep if you don't leave after doubling etc.

Also if the players buying in for $5 are bad you would want to have them covered even if you are not comfortable that deep - you would still be better then them.

Old
Fri Aug 02, 2013, 01:03 PM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2010
Hi Grade b

For me it depends on my roll and how I want to use it, and the other stacks at the table

In terms of bankroll management for cash, I use the 40 buy ins rule for my Full Ring cash games - I don't keep a lot of money on Pokerstars so this means I usually start each month with maybe $100-$150, some of which is allocated to MTTs and Sitngos. Normally I will have 40 x $2 stacks set aside for playing some 2NL cash at Full Ring tables.

I am not a great multitabler - but at 2NL I usually play 5-7 tables - so say I have $10 allocated for a session, I would rather sit at 5 tables with $2 than 2 tables with $5

I also find very few players have the full stack, so $2 covers most opponents, as many will sit with $0.80 to $2.00

I am happy playing deep stacked - in fact I prefer it - and at 6Max cash table especially I always take the table maximum. At 2NL Full Ring though I prefer to take just the 100BB - after all, 100 big blinds, for those of us who play MTTs, is a pretty deep stack in any case.

So in general I will buy-in with $2.00. If a particularly fishy player turns up at my table with a full stack I know always have the option to top up to the maximum at any stage.

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 02, 2013, 03:31 PM
(#8)
Since: Apr 2012
I prefer to buy in for the $5. I feel pretty comfortable playing that deep and it gives me the chance to have everyone at the table covered so when I do hit big I can get max value. It does have it's downsides though as I'm sure you remember, Grade, when you stacked me with that set over set for like a $9 pot or whatever it was. But there's been plenty of times I've left the Wednesday and Saturday games with 600+ BBs so it balances out I think.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Question
Sat Aug 03, 2013, 01:59 PM
(#9)
I think at 2cent i don't feel comfortable with $5 for the following reason.

On the average 2nl tables you don't find many people buy in for the max although you can get a maniac on a heater who does have $5 plus, Great I love playing maniacs but ....

when they then suck out that's $5 lost not $2 and soon that maniac is gone leaving 8 players with $2 making it harder to get back the $5.

As I said maybe an irrational fear (it happened to me today) over a long sample so i shall keep trying.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
An Update - Fri Aug 16, 2013, 12:02 PM
(#10)
So I have been buying in at 2nl for the Max (normally $5)and I feel fine with this level of buy-in.

Hard to say how its affecting my results as I feel I have not done as well this week but they are 276 other factors.

An interesting step is when I play 5nl I'm under some bankroll pressures so only playing 100 bb rather than 250. I think I will play a few thousand hands to see if my skill level has improved so I can start crushing 5nl

thanks for the help everyone and the ongoing support

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 17, 2013, 11:55 AM
(#11)
Since: Sep 2011
i tried to play for $5 few times and i switched back to $2 for many reasons.

I realized it is easy to lost but very difficult to win. Also most of the players are playing something between $1-2.5. The chance of playing against someone with $5 is small, very likely some regular. So if you end with him all in, very likely monster against another monster and when you loose ($5) you need to hit another monster against him (other players usualy have $1-2 remember) and win it. the chance he will have monster and you also is, to me, very small. Not worth it.

Also the odds for calling pot could be funny since you go all in against someone with a dollar will cost you only 1/5 off you bankroll.

also considering playing 2nl and the winrate could be around 10bb/100hands and let's say one session = 1k hands so $2 which is less then 50% of the buying amount. That is also strange to me

Old
Sat Aug 17, 2013, 09:27 PM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogger1999 View Post
i tried to play for $5 few times and i switched back to $2 for many reasons.

I realized it is easy to lost but very difficult to win. Also most of the players are playing something between $1-2.5. The chance of playing against someone with $5 is small, very likely some regular. So if you end with him all in, very likely monster against another monster and when you loose ($5) you need to hit another monster against him (other players usualy have $1-2 remember) and win it. the chance he will have monster and you also is, to me, very small. Not worth it.

Also the odds for calling pot could be funny since you go all in against someone with a dollar will cost you only 1/5 off you bankroll.

also considering playing 2nl and the winrate could be around 10bb/100hands and let's say one session = 1k hands so $2 which is less then 50% of the buying amount. That is also strange to me

Personally I have found 3 types of player who have $5 buy-in at 2nl

a. Total begnners who have just brought in for the max

b. Regs

c. Maniacs who have gone on a heater.

You need to remember when looking at odds of calling its not how much of your % of your buy in but what odds you have to call compared to your odds of winning.

calling a raise with 33 is profitable if you are both 250 bb deep but not if your opp raises 10 cents and only has 88 cents left (rule of 20, although some players go by rule of 15 means to call profitable you should have potential to win 20 times (or 15) the raise size.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com