Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

"and your opponent has"

Old
"and your opponent has" - Mon Aug 05, 2013, 02:09 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013
I have gone all the way through the poker basics and failed the final assessment because I have a problem when the question says, "and your opponent has.." In a real game I don't know for sure exactly what hand my opponent has, so how can this be helpful really..

I have played poker long enough to get the basic mechanics of the game down, but not long enough to have an idea (other than do i believe his/her hand is better/worse than mine) what cards someone (or eight other people are holding)..

how do you "put a player on a hand"?? is this just a myth that you can do that or movie-magic??

I feel that in a real game the only thing I have knowledge of is, how has this person played since I sat at the table? do they play lots of hands? do they raise outrageously before the flop? then, do I believe I have a good enough hand and am I in good position to play this hand well enough to win.. maybe not perfect or pretty, but effective, fundamentally sound poker..

lol.. Am I off the reservation somewhere?? whats the best way to learn this.. The other problem I am having is calculating outs and percentage chance of winning while in a hand.. it takes me too long.. any ideas how to speed that up.. I really want to get better.. I dont want to be a recreational player, but I have to be until I can stay at a table and be consistant.. I really appreciate the help..

Old
Mon Aug 05, 2013, 02:51 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
First of all you need to either know how your opponent plays or to have a basic understanding in what poker category he is included (loose-aggressive, tight-passive etc).
Then you have to observe the hands that he shows at the table and you have to try and remember how he played every street with those.
If you have that knowledge it is easier to put him on a hand.
But if he is an unknown and just sat at the table, you just guess how he would play preflop, on the flop, turn, river with a hand and sometimes the only hand that makes sense is the one that he actually has.
But that skill comes from playing experience and not theory.

Old
Mon Aug 05, 2013, 03:10 AM
(#3)
thanks for the info.. I seem to be a little unknowingly reckless.. I have 2-3 hot hands and then misplay the next hand and bust out.. I make a decision based off of my hand and how others are playing into me if I am in a live hand.. lol.. I wind up doing alot of guessing because I cant process the other eight players plays and bets as fast as they make them.. that will come with experience I am sure, but its a real PITA when I am trying so hard to get the fundamentals down.. lol..

GamblngTrkr

Old
Mon Aug 05, 2013, 09:34 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
The following information will help

What position are they in.

How many chips do they have.

Thelangolier has so training videos on hand ranging which would be good to see.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 05, 2013, 09:51 AM
(#5)
ok i will look at those and try to implement them.. btw, How do you earn those bracelets?? what tournament did you have to win to get that?

Old
Mon Aug 05, 2013, 10:37 AM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamblngTrkr View Post
ok i will look at those and try to implement them.. btw, How do you earn those bracelets?? what tournament did you have to win to get that?
Hi GamblngTrkr!

Each summer around the time of the WSOP, we run a tourney series called the PSO Series of Poker. You need to win one of those tourneys to get one.

When playing, instead of putting an opponent on an exact hand, I try to put them on a range of hands based on their position and playing style. This helps tremendously when trying to figure out whether or not I'm ahead. I also agree with Grade b that Dave's three videos on hand ranging are great.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 05, 2013, 11:00 AM
(#7)
Since: Apr 2012
Incase you couldn't find them here are some videos of Dave's that should get you started.

Hand Reading
Ranging Opponents Practice by Example Part 1
Ranging Opponents Practice by Example Part 2

Hope these help,

Chris

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 05, 2013, 11:08 AM
(#8)
thanks so much for helping me find these.. i tried looking for them and only found one.. I look forward to playing at the tables with you guys.. would really like to find a mentor.. my birthday is coming up in September and I want to spend it in Vegas.. so I am really trying to learn as much as I can, and at the very least have some good fun.. and at the best, have a great birthday and some money in my pocket..

Old
Mon Aug 05, 2013, 11:24 AM
(#9)
the videos are from live trainings there is one today at 4pm est
live training

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 05, 2013, 01:39 PM
(#10)
thanks but thats for multi table tournaments.. i have a hard enough time trying to play just one table right.. lol.. the next getting started training is on the 7th.. and Im a truck driver so I dont know if I will be able to be free at that time..

**EDIT** never mind I have looked at a few of the previous MTT training and will be there today.. lol

Last edited by GamblngTrkr; Mon Aug 05, 2013 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: making a correction

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com