Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Ahh,those diamonds

Old
Ahh,those diamonds - Wed Aug 07, 2013, 01:28 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2012

read this hand please,where did I go wrong?

Old
Wed Aug 07, 2013, 01:32 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
What type of tournament is this from and did you have any reads on the opponents? Different types of tourneys need to be played with different strategies and we want to be able to give you the best answer possible.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 08, 2013, 01:09 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi DARKIANAC!

Since there wasn't a response to my questions, I'll go thru a couple scenarios. Hopefully one of them fits. If not, please let me know where this hand came from and I will go thru it for that specific situation.

League game

In league games, I only want to be playing premium, made, hands from out of position and with this being the case, JTs is nowhere near a strong enough hand to open-raise with, so I need to immediately muck it. At this blind level, I'm only playing AA, KK and QQ here (and will make a standard open raise to 3BB with them).

Cash MTT or SNG

Once again, JTs is not strong enough to play from UTG, so I need to muck it. If I did want to play it, I would need to make a standard opening raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper. I cannot raise to less than this or I can be giving the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me (and if I lose the hand due to this, it's my own fault that I lose the hand).
When the opp min-raises, I really need to fold here, as my hand is not strong enough to make a standard re-raise, which would need to be to 3X the opp's bet (900).

If I saw the flop (which I would not do), I do have a draw, and I want to try to see the turn card for free, so I will check. The opp now bets 364 and I now need to see if I should call. I need to put 364 chips into a pot that will be 1478 (24.6%). I have 9 outs to my flush, so from the rule of 4 and 2, my outs are worth 2% each to the turn, so my hand is worth 18%. Since my pot equity is higher than my hand equity.. I absolutely need to fold here, as I will lose 6.6% of my chips on average. I only want to call a bet if my hand is worth a higher percentage than what I need to put into the pot.

If I saw the turn (which I absolutely would not do), I see that I hit my flush, but the board pairs. I 100% of the time need to make a lead bet here, both for value and to protect my hand. A standard value bet for 1 opp in the hand is 1/2 pot, so I need to bet 739 chips. I cannot check here.

On the river, I do have showdown value, but there are a number of cards/combinations that beat me, so I need to check and hope to get to a cheap showdown.

In this situation, the keys are to fold preflop and if I see the flop, I absolutely must fold to the flop bet, as it is a -EV play to call.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com