Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Foreign Language Chat (Rules R Rules)

Old
Lightbulb
Foreign Language Chat (Rules R Rules) - Thu Aug 08, 2013, 11:23 AM
(#1)
sleepyolman's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 389
OK, the rules are the rules & they state that these School League Tourneys are to be played as "Chat in English Only".
Now, this (foreign chat) bothers players in some degree or another and some take the time to call the Monitor to complain; but, as we all know, it usually has absolutely no effect on what the offending players & observers will continue do as the monitor is powerless to immediately bring the play at the table into conformity.
I suggest the monitor be given the ability to effect a temporary (for that tourney) chat ban after the offending player/observer has demonstrated his/her carelessness to league tourney chat rules 3 times in a tourney. Psychologically speaking, well, Behaviorist Psychology would simply explain that immediate punishment(even a small one) as close in time to the offending behavior will always produces a higher rate of conformity by the offending player than a punishment (like a 3 day chat ban) will several days in the future.
Any thoughts on this?
sleepy
 
Old
Default
Thu Aug 08, 2013, 11:31 AM
(#2)
JWK24's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,819
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
All of the table chat from games in the client are handled by PokerStars, not PSO. All that a player can do is to call the chat mod, as we have no control over any of that chat at all.

John (JWK24)


Super-Moderator



6 Time Bracelet Winner


 
Old
Default
Thu Aug 08, 2013, 04:44 PM
(#3)
Moxie Pip's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyolman View Post
OK, the rules are the rules & they state that these School League Tourneys are to be played as "Chat in English Only".
Now, this (foreign chat) bothers players in some degree or another and some take the time to call the Monitor to complain; but, as we all know, it usually has absolutely no effect on what the offending players & observers will continue do as the monitor is powerless to immediately bring the play at the table into conformity.
I suggest the monitor be given the ability to effect a temporary (for that tourney) chat ban after the offending player/observer has demonstrated his/her carelessness to league tourney chat rules 3 times in a tourney. Psychologically speaking, well, Behaviorist Psychology would simply explain that immediate punishment(even a small one) as close in time to the offending behavior will always produces a higher rate of conformity by the offending player than a punishment (like a 3 day chat ban) will several days in the future.
Any thoughts on this?
sleepy

I would even go further sleepy...

1st punishable offense (meaning previously warned and still flaunting the rule): like you said,immediately chat banned for remainder of tourney. If this can't be done,singling out 1 tourney to chat ban the offender,then just go right to a 24 hour all-inclusive chat ban.

2nd offense: 1 week chat ban for all Pokerstars play (as it would have to be I imagine,not just banned from chatting in PSO tourneys only).

3rd offense: 1 month chat ban,as follows parameters of 2nd offense,seen above.

IF POSSIBLE I would also agree to,starting with any 3rd offense infractions,put in a system within PSO wherein the offending players would have points removed from their score at the end of the month,on a progressively sliding scale.

Say the first time they get a 3rd offense they lose 20 points from whatever their final score is that month and bump it for a subsequent offense and so on and so on.

I personally doubt it would get to a second points infraction though. Hit a player in the wallet once and they'll conform pretty quickly.


For what it's worth,after a player has ignored enough warnings for flaunting the English chat only rule I think ALL Pokerstars play should follow the 24 hour,1 week and then 1 month,ban criteria that I laid out here.

It's a simple rule to obey and players who continually flaunt it raise the specter of their doing so to try and gain a competitive advantage,whether that's their intention (in some cases I'm sure it is...) or not.
 
Old
Default
Thu Aug 08, 2013, 04:57 PM
(#4)
boobylops's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 232
BronzeStar
In theory a good idea Moxie but the problem is that a large percentage of the people chatting away in foreign languages are the "Freeroll for me" type of player and wouldn't give a rat's a*** if they had points deducted, they are only playing for pennies not points !
 
Old
Thumbs up
Thu Aug 08, 2013, 05:28 PM
(#5)
sleepyolman's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 389
Hi John,
Thanks 4 the response & of course i thought that to be the case
but as has been proven to me all my life,
"the squeaky wheel gets the grease" so here i am 'squeaking'
'squeaky'....Ooops,
sleepy



Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
All of the table chat from games in the client are handled by PokerStars, not PSO. All that a player can do is to call the chat mod, as we have no control over any of that chat at all.

John (JWK24)
 
Old
Thumbs up
Thu Aug 08, 2013, 05:33 PM
(#6)
sleepyolman's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 389
Hi Moxie Pip,
Long time no see....
These actions u speak of might be in line but I would NEVER ask PS to make a move that might take $$ out of the coffers......
I just ask if perhaps they might let the moderators take a bit of action.
sleepy


Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
I would even go further sleepy...

1st punishable offense (meaning previously warned and still flaunting the rule): like you said,immediately chat banned for remainder of tourney. If this can't be done,singling out 1 tourney to chat ban the offender,then just go right to a 24 hour all-inclusive chat ban.

2nd offense: 1 week chat ban for all Pokerstars play (as it would have to be I imagine,not just banned from chatting in PSO tourneys only).

3rd offense: 1 month chat ban,as follows parameters of 2nd offense,seen above.

IF POSSIBLE I would also agree to,starting with any 3rd offense infractions,put in a system within PSO wherein the offending players would have points removed from their score at the end of the month,on a progressively sliding scale.

Say the first time they get a 3rd offense they lose 20 points from whatever their final score is that month and bump it for a subsequent offense and so on and so on.

I personally doubt it would get to a second points infraction though. Hit a player in the wallet once and they'll conform pretty quickly.


For what it's worth,after a player has ignored enough warnings for flaunting the English chat only rule I think ALL Pokerstars play should follow the 24 hour,1 week and then 1 month,ban criteria that I laid out here.

It's a simple rule to obey and players who continually flaunt it raise the specter of their doing so to try and gain a competitive advantage,whether that's their intention (in some cases I'm sure it is...) or not.
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com