Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Thu Aug 08, 2013, 11:41 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013
I am interested in participating in the Bankroll Builder project.

Old
Thu Aug 08, 2013, 04:09 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 08, 2013, 04:14 PM
(#3)
Hi Just1ceCream,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.
Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 08, 2013, 06:12 PM
(#4)

Well this is a hand in which I was pretty sure to lose all the way but I still continued for several reasons. I would like to know if those reasons are wrong:

With my bet on the flop I wanted to protect my Queens against people with only one spade and check if there is somebody with two spades.

Then when he called me I was pretty sure that he had two spades but since he didn't show aggression preflop I thought that he probably doesn't have the Ace or the King. So for me he either had only the Ace of spades or two lower spades. I continued betting because he was low stacked and I felt like I can afford to see the River. And then there was another Spade on the River. I was pretty sure he had two low spades so the last spade was a very bad card for him. So I thought I could push him out of the pot with a big bet.

Now I know it was not very well played but shouldn't he have folded on the River? I was reaaaally sure that a high spade alone would beat his hand and I could easily have had that.

Well, thanks in advance.

PS: I've completed the quiz too.

Last edited by Just1ceCream; Thu Aug 08, 2013 at 06:49 PM..

Old
Thu Aug 08, 2013, 07:11 PM
(#5)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 09, 2013, 12:45 AM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Just1ceCream!

With QQ (or any other hand that I want to raise with), I'm going to make a standard opening raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 1 limper, I will raise to 4BB or 40.

I see a 4-way flop on a VERY coordinated board. The first two opps check and the third makes an abnormally small bet of 10. Bets post-flop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, the number of opps and the board texture. With 3 opps, I need to make a 3/4 pot value raise here, so I will raise to 138. I don't want to raise to less than this, as I could be giving the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me, as this bet will price out everything except a combination draw.

The turn pairs the board and the opp makes another abnormally small bet. A standard bet for a heads-up pot is 1/2 pot. With this being the case, I have a decision. I either need to muck to their bet or I need to make a standard raise (1/2 pot) and put the opp all-in. If the opp is playing tight or is known to play suited cards, I'm going to fold. If the opp is playing loose, then I'm going to shove to protect my hand against them holding a single diamond.

If I had chips left on the river (which I would not), to call their bet of 70, I am calling 70 into a pot that will be 720 (9.7%). If I think that the opp would not have me beat over this % of the time, then it's a call. If not, then I need to muck.

I'd have put them in on the turn and unfortunately, they did have the flush.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 09, 2013, 01:04 AM
(#7)
Excellent!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks completed and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 09, 2013, 06:00 AM
(#8)
3 reasons for a big bet:

- To bluff opponents out of the pot
- To valuebet strong hands
- to protect your hand against strong draws

I've also completed the quiz.

In this hand I was relatively sure that he didn't have the nuts but my play Turn and River might have been wrong. On the river I scared him out and on the turn my bet was very small. But I thought if he had maybe a pair and a straight draw then he would beat my 6's (until the River)

Last edited by Just1ceCream; Fri Aug 09, 2013 at 06:03 AM..

Old
Fri Aug 09, 2013, 11:49 AM
(#9)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 10, 2013, 12:21 PM
(#10)
So will it be analyzed? What's the next step?

Old
Sat Aug 10, 2013, 01:11 PM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Just1ceCream! Sorry for the delay. I'll analyse the hand in post #8.

With 66 in early position, I might overlimp, but often I'd fold. With so many other players yet to act, it's very unlikely that you have the best hand, and if you just call, then someone might make a big raise that prices you out of set-mining. And that's what you're doing with small pairs: trying to hit a set of trips on the flop. As played, you limp and fortunately there is no raise, so you see a 4-way flop of AKJ. The action is checked to you, but I don't like betting here. You have an underpair, and with 3 opponents, it's very likely that someone connected with this board, with a better pair than yours, or a decent draw. The rule I follow with small pairs is "no set, no bet". You could check behind and maybe hit your 2-outer for free. By betting, you're clearly bluffing, as you have have very little chance of improving. One villain calls, so I would shut down on the turn. He's probably not going to fold a king, let alone an ace, so take the free card. As luck would have it, you make a set on the river, but notice this completes the most obvious draw. The flush got there. This either scares villain, or gave him the best hand. I see no reason to bet here, because worse hands are unlikely to call. You'll usually only get action from better hands, so just checking and showing down is best. As played, you bet, and villain folds, which proves my point. When you're considering making a bet for value, always ask yourself "Can I get called by worse?" If worse hands can't call, it's best not to bet.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 10, 2013, 09:36 PM
(#12)
Hi Just1ceCream,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Aug 13, 2013, 12:54 PM
(#13)
Well I had a bad run and kept playing on the same table (which isn't very smart I guess) and then I had this hand here:

I had a feeling that somebody could have pocket 3's but I didn't want to believe myself because I finally got a good hand. Well, horribly played.

Old
Tue Aug 13, 2013, 02:46 PM
(#14)

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 15, 2013, 03:34 AM
(#15)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1ceCream View Post
Well I had a bad run and kept playing on the same table (which isn't very smart I guess) and then I had this hand here:

I had a feeling that somebody could have pocket 3's but I didn't want to believe myself because I finally got a good hand. Well, horribly played.

Hi Just1ceCream!

This is a tough spot to get away from! Let's take a closer look. Firstly, K7o is a pretty weak starting hand. Even on the button, I recommend folding preflop here. I would only play it if I had good notes indicating that both the sb and bb are very tight and tend to fold. Hands like K7o don't flop well and make for difficult postflop play.

As played, you get a good flop with trip 7s. Note however that trips are not as strong as flopping a set where you hold a pocket pair. Either way, you have a strong hand with a decent kicker. We can put the villain on 33, possibly 7x but you are beating all of those except A7, and most likely the villain has a medium overpair such as 88, 99 or 1010. You are beating the overpairs, most 7x hands and the random crazy hands such as AK etc that sometimes get shown. At 2NL I think getting your money in as you did here will be profitable in the long run.

Don't stress the result here. But remember, you should fold weak hands like K7o preflop to begin with.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Thu Aug 15, 2013, 10:16 AM
(#16)
Hi Just1ceCream,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 15, 2013, 03:56 PM
(#17)
How that was depressively quick. I should concentrate more on the game - so easy to get distracted when playing online. Made a bit of profit and then that hand happened:

Well what happened was that my opponent has been playing almost every flop and betting them aswell and I thought the way he payed he could easily have air or a low pocket pair. I didn't really think that he might actually have flopped trips (which was very possible though by the way he played)

Well the last bonus won't be gone so quickly ^^

Old
Thu Aug 15, 2013, 04:54 PM
(#18)

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 15, 2013, 08:26 PM
(#19)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi again! I'll analyse the hand in post #17.

Pre-flop is all standard. On the the 963 flop, you have a good overpair that is usually ahead, because KK and AA would normally have re-raised pre-flop. Instead of taking the standard line of checking to the raiser (you), the villain in the blinds donks out. This unconvetional line is often taken by bad players when they hold a weak hand (usually a pair) but more skilled opponents will donkbet with a mixture of very strong hands (2pr/sets), draws and sometimes total air. Whether this villain is weak or strong here, doesn't actually matter, because the standard response with your overpair is to just call. There's only one good draw on this flop, and that's the OESD for 87. If villain is semi-bluffing with a draw, totally airballing with two overcards, or betting for value with anything from an pair (9x/TT/88/77) to a set, you can control the pot-size by calling in position. If he's betting with worse, then you get value by letting him continue to do that. The problem with raising is that villain will fold all his airballs and only continue with strong hands. In short, you're in a way ahead or way behind (WA/WB) spot, so you don't want to take an action that folds out the hands you beat and leaves you way behind.
When villain re-raises the flop, he's saying "I have a monster, please pay me off". Occasionally, he will be overvaluing TT or JJ, but most of the time he has a set when he takes this line. It's always hard to fold an overpair, but now would be a good time to do so. Villain's shove on the turn is for pure fat value. He might even be good enough to know you have an overpair, which is why he's going all in, expecting you to call.

Hope this helps!
To get more tuition on cash game basics, I recommend going to live training sessions for the Wednesday and Saturday Games if you can. You'll even be able to play alongside other PSO members in the Homegame club and get instant feedback on the way you play your hands. Good luck!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Thu Aug 15, 2013 at 08:28 PM..

Old
Fri Aug 16, 2013, 12:13 AM
(#20)
Congratulations!

As we have awarded you with all your Bankroll Builder buy-ins you have completed the promotion!

You are always welcome to post any troublesome hands in the hand analysis forums in the Poker Education section. Also, it is a good idea to review some of the content on Bankroll Management at this point.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how your poker journey continues.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com