Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

The school's tourney

Old
The school's tourney - Fri Aug 09, 2013, 12:55 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2013
Sorry for spamming. Someone please take a look at these. My best tourney so far despite what the selection might tell. I don't usually post winning hands.

hand 1. Falling for my own tricks:

hand 2: Yeah I have the nuts! Oh wait...

hand 3 : This is how I make the stacks to lose from

hand 4: Nothing special. Just my luck

hand 5 There are some better things than a three(some?) (:

Old
Fri Aug 09, 2013, 09:05 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Malchior90!

In league games, the one and only goal is to last as long as possible to get as many league points as possible. Due to this, I need to play much more conservative. In the future, please only put 1 hand per thread... it's totally fine if you have multiple hands, to post multiple threads.

Hand 1: With a really bad hand in the BB, I'm more than happy to see a free flop. I flop a gutshot draw and I need to check and hope to see a free turn card. When the opp bets, I absolutely need to muck. I need to call 1200 into a pot that will be 6480 (18.5%). With 4 outs, my hand is only worth 8% and since the pot equity is higher, I cannot call and need to muck as I will lose chips on average every time that I call here.

Hand 2: With A6s from the SB, I get a limp in front of me. If this was a cash tourney, I'd make a standard raise here, but with this being a league game, I need to muck. I do not want to be playing anything marginal in a league game and a weak ace is definitely marginal.
I absolutely cannot ever bet the river here, as the board has two pair. Any opp in the hand could have a full house and have me beat, so I need to check and try to get to a cheap showdown. I'll call a very small bet and need to muck to any sizable bet. Once again.. do not take chances.

Hand 3: A8s from UTG is way, way too weak of a hand and needs to be immediately mucked. The only hands with an A that I'd even consider playing from here are AA, AK and maybe AQs. Anything else is too weak and too much of a chance. I wouldn't even play A8s from here in a cash tournament, let alone a league game.
The other thing here is the open-limp. This is a very weak and exploitable play. When I'm the first to open the betting, I'm either making a standard raise or folding, as I do not want to leak off chips.
Flop bets need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 4+ opps in the hand, I cannot make less than a pot-sized bet, as this is the standard bet sizing for this situation.
I also cannot check the turn. If I do so and the opp has 2 pair and draws out one me, it'd be my own fault for losing the hand.

Hand 4: With QQ, I need to make a standard raise, which for this blind level is to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper. With one limper, I will raise to 3.5BB or 1050. An opp then shoves on me and puts me in a really bad spot. Early in the month, when the point penalties for an exit will be less, I'll most likely call. If it were later in the month, when the point penalties are much more severe, I need to MUCK QQ here.

Hand 5: Just like hand 3, weak aces are way too weak of hands to be playing in a league game. They need to be mucked preflop.
If I did see the flop (which I would not), once again, the key here is standard bets.. with 3 opps in the hand, I need to bet 3/4 pot... but in a league game, this is very risky, as I cannot afford to lose chips to an A with a better kicker, which is why this needs to be mucked preflop.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com