Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Chris Moneymaker $10 MTT Beginner Review - Part 1 Read more: Chris Moneymaker $10 MT

Old
Cool
Chris Moneymaker $10 MTT Beginner Review - Part 1 Read more: Chris Moneymaker $10 MT - Sun Aug 11, 2013, 03:07 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2013
BronzeStar
Your video was very good. It showed all varieties of hands being dealt. The tightness and patience helps in the long run. Today I was playing Poker School Open Skill League after watching your video, I had JJ with around 2500 chips but I was outdone by AA ended on 1273 position. I played like you here, I could hold on for a long time until I lost with JJ pair. Before this I was playing all varieties of hands and gain chips also. This kind of play I could not gather much chips today. Yeah its tight and good. I will practice this. Let’s see how it helps me.

MY rank in PSO Skill league is 177 as on today. I had reached a high of 84 but slipped in the last two days. was not able to cross 2030 points hovering around 2000 points now. I would like to break this resistence and break into top 100, and from there into top 10.

I am repeating certain mistakes time and again. Honing my Skills here before I plunge into bigger MTT's.

Old
Lightbulb
PSO Skill League Tournament. - Mon Aug 12, 2013, 10:03 AM
(#2)
BronzeStar
Please suggest me something, I got stuck up at around 2000 points, busted in mid phase or early phase. I am not hitting good hands, however tight I am playing. Depleting chips, higher blinds putting me under pressure. If I take risk there are chances of getting busted even with a good hand. It happened all the time with me in the last 3 to 4 days. I am getting out beaten even with good hands. What should I do if I have to progress on the points table. I want to get into top ten. Please advise.

Old
Mon Aug 12, 2013, 04:07 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Have you been to any live training sessions? There are great sessions for tournament strategy almost every day.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 12, 2013, 04:17 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by amnav69 View Post
Your video was very good. It showed all varieties of hands being dealt. The tightness and patience helps in the long run. Today I was playing Poker School Open Skill League after watching your video, I had JJ with around 2500 chips but I was outdone by AA ended on 1273 position. I played like you here, I could hold on for a long time until I lost with JJ pair. Before this I was playing all varieties of hands and gain chips also. This kind of play I could not gather much chips today. Yeah its tight and good. I will practice this. Let’s see how it helps me.

MY rank in PSO Skill league is 177 as on today. I had reached a high of 84 but slipped in the last two days. was not able to cross 2030 points hovering around 2000 points now. I would like to break this resistence and break into top 100, and from there into top 10.

I am repeating certain mistakes time and again. Honing my Skills here before I plunge into bigger MTT's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amnav69 View Post
Please suggest me something, I got stuck up at around 2000 points, busted in mid phase or early phase. I am not hitting good hands, however tight I am playing. Depleting chips, higher blinds putting me under pressure. If I take risk there are chances of getting busted even with a good hand. It happened all the time with me in the last 3 to 4 days. I am getting out beaten even with good hands. What should I do if I have to progress on the points table. I want to get into top ten. Please advise.
Hi amnav69.

I think I remember watching the member review video by Money that you're referencing here,you're correct,it is a good one. What I like about Money's reviews is that he's straight and to the point when he sees mistakes being made and what that means. If this was the member review video I'm thinking of he flat out tells the player that playing the way he does will never get him any kind of sustainable success in MTT's,what he's doing wrong and how to correct it. Some people find his teaching style a little blunt or harsh,for myself it's the kind I respond to the best as no one beats me up more than I beat myself up anyway.

As to what you may or may not be doing wrong in the Open Skill League games...

Well to start,if you're trying to apply pretty much any thing that Money is imparting as to what to do in a $ MTT game to the Open League that's a huge mistake. Cease and desist immediately.

The Open League is about volume of games played,grinding out as many points as possible each game whilst simultaneously avoiding crippling early exits like the plague and patience,patience and more patience.

Stall and fold poker amnav,stall and fold. Run the clock down to a nub every hand,fold,fold,fold and get to the +/- points cut line every game,if possible. THEN you can look to open up some,since any negative points outcomes will be minimal,and your next big points gain is in making the money. Once you get to the ITM bubble it's back to playing these like a satellite---cashing is EVERYTHING,all other considerations are non-existent.

It's boring,it's soul crushing and it's about half as much fun as watching paint dry,but it IS free money to get you started on your way to playing cash games.

And you can learn patience by playing the League games and there are few things to learn in poker that will serve you better than learning patience and how to look at the big picture.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Mon Aug 12, 2013 at 04:19 PM..

Old
Mon Aug 12, 2013, 04:25 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
Have you been to any live training sessions? There are great sessions for tournament strategy almost every day.

Yeah Arty,but please keep in mind his second missive here is directed at the Open Skill League and correct play in that and correct play in an actual cash MTT are as different as night and day.

Old
Cool
Pso skill league - Tue Aug 13, 2013, 12:58 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Hi Moxie Pip,

It is a great interaction with you. And Thanks for the advise, yeah its good. I think its correct. That is where I am making mistake. I am getting carried away with the flow, good hands; I tend to go in aggressively to put the other in to defensive. Most of the games I am playing after the flop, after confirming my chances and going all out with. Sometimes I am busting out recently. Sometimes I am up against a bully. But I got busted out after making some good amount of chips on the board late in the game, if sat out I would gain points considerably.But Good Hands and Monster Hands are doing me in. AA not standing, KK not standing, JJ against AA. I am up against extremely good hands when myself was holding Monster Hands.Any way thanks for the advise, I will implement immediately.

Thanks once again and have a Great Day!

Amor

Last edited by amnav69; Tue Aug 13, 2013 at 01:00 AM.. Reason: to add some more points

Old
Pso skill league - Sun Aug 18, 2013, 09:59 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
HI Moxie Pip

How are u? Ur advise regarding PSO Skill league games, was very good. I played as u advised "Stall and Fold", running the clock down, yeah, I did, but chips were depleting and I needed more chips to sustain further. I did very well in certain games, and in certain, got busted out with very good cards on hand.

I feel skill and luck go together. We need to have both for success in games. If u can please take time and look into the games I have played, where I fared well and where I gone wrong or committed any mistakes. Please give your critical analysis and advise of what I should do in future. Coz' poker is my future earning. Please advise. And what's your advise regarding MTT's. I play 100k Freerolls also. What do u suggest?

Now that I am hovering in the top 500 ranks on the leaderboard and about 2000 points. I got stuck on between around 2000 points since last six days highest being 2066 points that is going 60 points up and coming down by 20-30 points. Very erratic. In the beginning I was consistent and focussed. If I stay in top 500, I would be given Premier Skill League ticket and it would be more tougher. Please advise on how to pick up my game from now on. Any training or any course in Pokerstars which I can take up to improve. I really want to do well in the leaderboard, maybe top the list. TOP RANK! Pl. advise.

Please get back to me.

Regards

amnav69

Last edited by amnav69; Sun Aug 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com