Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Most direct route to Premier Skill League?

Old
Most direct route to Premier Skill League? - Mon Aug 12, 2013, 03:43 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
I've looked over the league info. on here in the past as I knew a few guys who were in it (a yr. ago?) & considered getting into it myself but was always unsure of what kind of committment was needed. Let me explain ...

What is the most direct route to the Premier Skill League? I'm assuming it would be those $1 buyin Premier Skill League qualifiers.... correct?
How many games would one need to play in order to qualify?
What sort of scoring would one need?
Approx. how many entrants do those $1 qualifiers get?

I'm looking to play the least amount of whatever it is that I need to play... in order to get to the Premier League (I guess this could go without saying... obv.).

Just wondering it if is worth the time committment (& what kind of time committment that would even be... as I really have no clue atm).

I'm not interested in trying to get there via those Open games that have 5,000 entrants - - I don't have the patience for that (although I did just play one and am planning on playing two more of them in hopes of getting in Top400 in 3-in-a-row... but am pretty sure I'll only even attempt this once (if the AA doesn't hold.... or the flopped set gets runner runner'd... so be it, LoL. I'm not into going through it again).

Can some folks help me out here please? I think I actually need a League mentor to guide me through here. (actually know a guy who's done decently in these in the past but when I posed questions to him, it never seemed like he could give me any straight up answers).

tks for the help!

Old
Mon Aug 12, 2013, 03:49 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
I'm currently in and have previously been in the PL.

Both times I qualified via the PL Qualifiers. I can't comment on the best way but it's been the easiest route I seen.

Play less not more and do enough to qualify and stay there. ie. playing 20 Qualifiers may get you kudos points but not actual points. After 5 games I evaluated where I was and where I needed to be so just sat out and played no more. I didn't need to do any work.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Ovalman; Mon Aug 12, 2013 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old
Mon Aug 12, 2013, 03:52 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If I had to take a guess, I'd say the Premier League Qualifier is the easiest route to go.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 12, 2013, 04:10 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2010
There are only two routes to qualify to enter the Premier League. As you have pretty much ruled out the Open Skill League games then you only have the Qualifiers left, so no real decision to make here. Once you qualify, the best route to stay in is to play the Premier League itself - I managed to stay in for eleven months straight last year, though I played the Leagues much less this year. Over half the entrants in the Premier League each month requalify so you have a good % chance anyway, and somewhere between the minimum 5 games and say 30 as a decent enough number to play regularly each month is good, but if you are aiming for top prizes the more you can manage the better - assuming you are generally a winning player.

Minimum games by any route is 5 games to be eligible.

Perfectly possible to get in via the Qualifiers with 5-10 games if you do well, I always allow up to 20 though. As Ovalman says, you need to evaluate your position regularly. Looking at the previous months League History for a points target will give you a good idea where you need to be to make the top 200 'eligible' places.

If you are playing regularly online anyway I see no reason to discount the OSL - free to enter and easy to pick up points just by surviving - and 500 places available often means you can be 100 or more outside that as so many won't have the VPPs. Again I would say just play whenever you can, and if you are in a position in the top 1000 maybe concentrate on a couple more games to try to push up the table.

Good luck

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 12, 2013, 05:08 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
I tried it for the first time last month.
Remember you need to have earned 20vpp to be eligible.
So I'll share the stats that got me in.....so try not to make the mistakes I did (large negative scores by busting early), and the top 200 will get in.

Good luck

Rank Username Eligible Score

#144 ZA slettuce yes 1665.05

Date Entrants Position Start Scored End

2013-07-21 149 28 1656.53 8.52 1665.05

2013-07-14 150 126 1674.55 -18.02 1656.53

2013-07-13 96 49 1685.62 -11.07 1674.55

2013-07-12 84 15 1676.55 9.07 1685.62

2013-07-11 85 31 1682.72 -6.17 1676.55

2013-07-07 124 14 1656.70 26.02 1682.72

2013-07-06 191 22 1630.81 25.89 1656.70

2013-07-06 101 11 1602.24 28.57 1630.81

2013-07-05 186 16 1566.07 36.17 1602.24

2013-07-04 45 14 1566.46 -0.39 1566.07

2013-07-04 83 4 1500.00 66.46 1566.46

Last edited by slettuce; Mon Aug 12, 2013 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: sorry about the alignment. i tried my best

Old
Mon Aug 12, 2013, 05:37 PM
(#6)
Hi JanisSoprano,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Here is a link to help familiarize you with all the features and services available at PSO. Feel free to look around the forum
and post any comments or questions you may have.

You are invited to join the PokerSchoolOnline Community Home Games Club, and information on how to join the club
may be found HERE. Hope to see you there!

Good luck at the tables.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 12, 2013, 11:53 PM
(#7)
Thanks alot for the responses. Very much appreciated.

Can you tell me where I can find the previous month leaderboards so I can get an idea of how many pts. might be needed.

Thanks for the warning re: 20vpp Good to know although it won't be a problem.

Also, how are the pts. calculated in each game?

I'm guessing these answers can be found fairly easily but am just getting used to navigating this site so please bear with me. (I'll watch the video this evening but right now my partner is bitchin' at me from the couch & wants me to come & watch some TV with her (BreakingBad starts in <1hr.,... we missed the first episode last night but it's on again here shortly, LoL)

Old
Tue Aug 13, 2013, 11:22 AM
(#8)
Hi JanisSoprano,

First of all, the previous months' leaderboards are located to the right of the search player name window.

Second, this is where you can find all the information about the PSO Skill Leagues, and specifically the Scoring Formula.

There is also a handy points calculator to estimate the points you have gained/lost in a particular game.

Hope this helps!

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Lightbulb
Sat Aug 17, 2013, 02:53 PM
(#9)
Since: Aug 2010
Hi again Janice, If U had just read a few more posts, U would have found here,http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...I-turn-it-down
that all u have to do to get into the "P" was enter as many "O" tourneys as u can & simply not play.
There is no risk to ur BR and as long as PSO continues to let sitters make points, (and there seems to be no change on that horizon) UR IN, as simple as that
sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanisSoprano View Post
I've looked over the league info. on here in the past as I knew a few guys who were in it (a yr. ago?) & considered getting into it myself but was always unsure of what kind of committment was needed. Let me explain ...

What is the most direct route to the Premier Skill League? I'm assuming it would be those $1 buyin Premier Skill League qualifiers.... correct?
How many games would one need to play in order to qualify?
What sort of scoring would one need?
Approx. how many entrants do those $1 qualifiers get?

I'm looking to play the least amount of whatever it is that I need to play... in order to get to the Premier League (I guess this could go without saying... obv.).

Just wondering it if is worth the time committment (& what kind of time committment that would even be... as I really have no clue atm).

I'm not interested in trying to get there via those Open games that have 5,000 entrants - - I don't have the patience for that (although I did just play one and am planning on playing two more of them in hopes of getting in Top400 in 3-in-a-row... but am pretty sure I'll only even attempt this once (if the AA doesn't hold.... or the flopped set gets runner runner'd... so be it, LoL. I'm not into going through it again).

Can some folks help me out here please? I think I actually need a League mentor to guide me through here. (actually know a guy who's done decently in these in the past but when I posed questions to him, it never seemed like he could give me any straight up answers).

tks for the help!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com