Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL FR, JJ facing a donkbet on a wet flop board

Old
2NL FR, JJ facing a donkbet on a wet flop board - Mon Aug 12, 2013, 05:57 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2013
In this hand, I wanna know if it was ok folding.

The villian makes a donkbet after calling my pre-flop 3bet. I assume he had pocket pair, maybe 55 or 66, or even a flush draw maybe.

Old
Mon Aug 12, 2013, 07:43 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
I think folding is fine. Because you have the position calling is ok too, and maybe in the longer run preferred.

Calling with small pair when original raiser V4 is still in is very high risk game. People tend to raise draws in situations like this. I could see myself doing his play with AA too, and after coordinated flop (even though it should only hit V4 range) I might raise in panic but most cases not.

You actually should know at least something from you opponent to make better decision. Is he loose or tight is the minimum.

Old
Tue Aug 13, 2013, 03:31 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2012
folding isn't ok for me and just calling will give free card to draws and over cards.I think he would 4bet QQ+ , he might play that way worst hands than JJ, something like 77-TT, AdTd+,I would Raise to 0.60 or 0.55. I think he would fold more often than call or re-raise, but I would fold on re-raise and if he calls Cbet OTT without diamond. he might have there 44 also, that gives EOSD.

Last edited by Shichi-77; Tue Aug 13, 2013 at 03:34 AM..

Old
Tue Aug 13, 2013, 05:17 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2013
I though calling triumphs raising, because 2NL they will happily 3bet with ANY flush draw and with JJ you don't really want to build the pot on the flop.

Old
Tue Aug 13, 2013, 08:21 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi John,

I think it is a bit early to fold here; true sets could be in his range considering the board texture BUT that is just a small part of his range. He could also have 44,77,88,99,TT, OESD, and FDs so I would call the flop donk bet and proceed cautiously OTT. The reason why I would not raise is that when we raise we get the hands that we beat to fold (since we 3bet and he can easily put us on an overpair) and villain will continue with his sets or draws.

Old
Tue Aug 13, 2013, 08:54 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoVARTA View Post
Hi John,

I think it is a bit early to fold here; true sets could be in his range considering the board texture BUT that is just a small part of his range. He could also have 44,77,88,99,TT, OESD, and FDs so I would call the flop donk bet and proceed cautiously OTT. The reason why I would not raise is that when we raise we get the hands that we beat to fold (since we 3bet and he can easily put us on an overpair) and villain will continue with his sets or draws.
One question. If we just call he might put us on just over cards or weak pp right? he might easily make us to fold . or Are we intend to call all bets till river without A or diamond on the board? because I don't think sets or straights would donk there.

Old
Tue Aug 13, 2013, 09:26 AM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2011
I'm stationing to the river, provided there are no overcards to my jacks. Villain's most likely hand is in the range TT-77. If he keeps betting if an A, K or Q hits the board, he probably has a set and you can fold, because 2NL villains are often "level one thinkers". They aren't putting you on a range, they just play their own cards. So on the flop villain likes his hand if he has something like 88. If the turn is a queen, for example, and he keeps betting, it's because he can beat a pair of queens. If he checks, it's because he can't.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Aug 13, 2013, 09:55 AM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
I'm stationing to the river, provided there are no overcards to my jacks. Villain's most likely hand is in the range TT-77. If he keeps betting if an A, K or Q hits the board, he probably has a set and you can fold, because 2NL villains are often "level one thinkers". They aren't putting you on a range, they just play their own cards. So on the flop villain likes his hand if he has something like 88. If the turn is a queen, for example, and he keeps betting, it's because he can beat a pair of queens. If he checks, it's because he can't.
Thanks, I understood

Old
Tue Aug 13, 2013, 12:00 PM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2010

Old
Tue Aug 13, 2013, 07:25 PM
(#10)
Since: Jul 2013
I understood, Thanks George and Arty!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com