Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Ego Meets Humility: My Goals

Old
Ego Meets Humility: My Goals - Tue Aug 13, 2013, 11:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
BronzeStar
EGO MEETS HUMILITY: MY GOALS

By: DrEllenCait @ 02:46 / 53 / Comment ( 2 )

DrEllenCait

I notice that when I meet online poker friends on Skype, I’m hyped to tell them of the first-place win I just garnered from a $60 Sit & Go buy-in, winning $540; but did I tell them I lost more than that as I obsessively played more Sit & Goes last week, losing each one but instead of taking a long break—likes closing the computer—I kept telling myself ‘this time will be different’. It wasn’t.

Having identified myself as having a sense of ‘Entitlement’ from Jared Tendler’s ‘The Mental Book of Poker’, such over-confidence are “attempts to protect false confidence.” While we watch our children grow, we don’t expect them to be doing physics at age three, but it’s analogous to expecting that after only seven months of poker one should be expecting to win against much more experienced players, playing $60 buy-in games, and focusing on winning, rather than on playing well and analyzing hands after a session.

Over-confidence can emanate from one’s past/current successes outside of poker but I know brilliant businessmen, including Bill Gates and Warren Buffett, who enjoy card games but will never master them.

So what does it mean to let go of this sense of entitlement? As Tendler says and so speaks to me: “ Once exposed, players often feel relieved that they no longer have to protect these lies. Freed to focus on their game in a real way, they use the mental energy that was previously protecting their confidence to identify and improve their poker weaknesses. It can be tough to face the weaknesses in your game, but it’s better than pretending they don’t exist.”

So where do I go from here?

1. Resume private work with Dave (TheLangolier);
2.. I have already begun to systematically go through relevant course material, videos and blogs which speak to my genuine needs to comprehend and implement fundamentals;
3.. Continue to both attend Live Trainings and make notes. Indeed, I have started a (large!) binder with notes organized by various topics;
4... Play 2NL cash games ((thank you ArtySmokesPS); ..05 Zoom and $3,50 Sit & Goes and in this way show myself humility and get control of my bankroll;
5. Take time to analyze each hand I play.
6.. Have honest discussions about the good, the bad and the ugly.

And check back with you within 2-week

Old
Tue Aug 13, 2013, 12:21 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
I'm glad you've realised you were playing out of your depth at the $30 and $60 games. While it's possible for anyone to get lucky in a few tournaments, the regs at those limits have an ability to play "perfectly" day in, day out, so if you don't get lucky they will destroy your bankroll. Moving back down to 2NL or $1.50 SnGs is a great idea. Those games are easier to beat (although I'm getting killed at the moment, due to sick variance!) and you can develop your skills without risking going broke. The first step to improving your play is to admit you have a lot to learn. Humility can help you go a long way. Good luck with rebuilding your roll!

P.S. You've posted a broken link. You need a colon after the http bit. My blog is HERE.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Tue Aug 13, 2013 at 12:23 PM..

Old
Tue Aug 13, 2013, 06:45 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
There is an important message in the experience you share that I don't think I would capture as entitlement. It is the bias of having a win and apportioning it to skill and having a loss and attributing that to luck. Given that a loss can result from one unlucky hand and typically we have to do some things right to record a win, this bias makes some sense.
Anyway while grinding away at MTTs I am consciously aware that 1 hand can make the difference, therefore I know that one win does not a winner make.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com